Buying a House in Bulgaria Help

Hello, my name is Danial, and we are going to make a trip to Bulgaria in September to buy a house. My question is: We have been looking at online site, most of which are from the UK, are the prices negotiable? Or are they pretty well set in stone? I heard they will a little down on the price once you get there and look at the house. Also I heard that is almost imposable to get a mortgage there since I am from the U.S. and not an EU citizen. Can someone tell me about there experience in  buying a house there?

Thank you,
Danial

I've yet to go to a country where prices aren't negotiable. However coming from a different country, especially the U.S., you will be getting the expat price (30-40% over actual prices). It's a good idea to just get a realtor here to show you properties, I got lucky and found a good one. Look at a few properties, never show that you are that interested and be ready to walk away if you don't like the price and they don't lower it, plenty plenty of properties for sale here no matter how much some people tell you it's a "tight" market (that made me laught as I was typing). As far as mortgage, houses in the country are so cheap that you really wount need a mortage, $60-$80k should get you a really nice and spacious place, obviously depending on location. You might be able to find private financing but the rate will be rediculous, I check it just for fun on a car and it was 30%. There are a lot more topics on here regarding buying a house, look through them, some good info there.

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to get around the "expat price"? Would it be better to use a local realtor?

Thanks again,
Danial

Yeah, it's best to use a local realtor, there are plenty. Ask for prices and if any try to show you a property without telling you the price first that's a red flag. Also a lot of people make the mistake of telling the realtor how much money they have to spend on a house. Just ask them to show you a few houses in the general area of where you want to be and ask them what the price is and then you decide how much you want to spend on a given property. Otherwise if you say you got $50k you might end up buying a house that was $40k but because they know how much money you have you end up overpaying. That's just an example.

Yeah- there are a few banks here that would do a foreigner mortgage, but the interest rates (for Bulgarians or foreigners are pretty steep compared to the us- at my bank, mortgages are currently resting around 6% for Bulgarians and 8.5% for foreigners).

Definitely look on olx.com for houses to get an idea of what is in the area and some prices... it is a good place to start. Also, look at multiple realty sites. Many houses will be listed on multiple sites for different prices. It will give you an idea of how much wiggle room you really have. (For example, i found one property listed on an expat site for 99,000 euro two months ago, and on olx from the owner for 50,000 e last month.

i have had a house for seven years now in bulgaria i used bg properties in varna i have had no problem with them the language and buying materials was a big problem people trying to rip you off but now i have been to bulgaria about 30 timesyou learn by your mistakes i am pretty good on prices now for taxis and building materials

buying a house can be made by instalments on some of the agents selling
Molem is one  that buys property and cleans them up to sell and you may only need to put £500 down
and pay monthly until paid.

hi all

does any one no this agent and are they any good
Apple Tree Properties Ltd on sunny beach 6

Yes, bulgarians love to 'negotiate', in bulgarian the exact word is "pazarene" - that is...to try to alter the price.
Try something like reducing the price by 20% or so and see if this works.

Also, you mat check this website - it's in bulgarian but i think it has english translation too?

imot.bg

Good luck.

Hello Danial,

It's very difficult for foreign people without knowing the language,  buy a property.  Bulgarian mentality is if you are a foreign you are billionaire( But if you want I can help you. My wife know the Bulgarian language and she has a girlfriend lawyer and real estate agent.
With the bank about mortgage also will be not problem.  Several banks love to give it to foreigns,  but of course with hight interest.
So if I can help you. Write me back, with more details.

Have a nice day!

Paul  Beek

Hi Danial,
if you are still looking for a property in Bulgaria and would be interested in a house in a wonderful village in the Balkan (Ribaritsa, Teteven) - please let me know. The house belongs to me and my father, but I am living in Austria since 1992 and now my father moved over too. We still use the house for holidays and we were taking care of it all the years, but now we have decided to sell it to someone who will really use it (and love it). 3 weeks a year is not what this lovely property deserves. Anyhow, if you want to take a look at it, please use the google street viewer or google maps or just go there and look at it by yourself :-) Once y are there you can even take a look inside, just give me a notice and I will arrange with the neighbours who have a spare key.
The adress: Bulgaria, Lovech, (Teteven) Ribaritsa, Georgi Benkovski street 426
google viewer: https://www.google.at/maps/@42.8267547, … 56!6m1!1e1

Best wishes
Maria

Does anyone know a good real state agent?

:) yes i have found yantra homes very helpfull ask for iva, tell her doug told you to get intouch, cheers doug..

Hey that is a real pretty town, and smart house, I hope you don't miss it too much when you sell it on.
Regards Steve.

icbproperties,com is very good!

Hello everyone,

If you are looking to rent or buy a house, i invite you to contact the professionals recommended by members of the Bulgaria forum > Real estate in Bulgaria.

You may as well drop an advert in the the Housing in Bulgaria section of the website.

All the very best,
Bhavna

Hi
Does anyone have any experience of VT Bulgaria real estate company please?

Hi,,,Ideal Homes VT are Awesome ,,regards eddie

Hi must tell you that this  agent are not very nice.I called  them many  times  and always they say i will call you back but they didnt.For me i ts done not very proffesionel.Greetings Bart

I mean  icb proporties are not good.Vt bulgaria are very good i have been Buying  this week a house they are correct.
Greetings Bart

I'm buying soon as well. From the US and my company registration was just completed today. Bart did you but in VT...many thanks

I'm buying soon as well. From the US and my company registration was just completed today. Bart did you but in VT...many thanks

Also a common practice in Bulgaria is to put up a house or apartment for sale on line that looks really good and at a reasonable price but that is only to get you to call them. Meaning that apartment or house is not even for sale and they just start offering you other properties that are "better" and just keep finding excuses for not being able to show you that property.

Also, posting old pictures of houses. Like- 10 or more years old that look great when the actual property is overgrown, has damage to the roof, etc.

Hoi Bart,

Ik heb in 2006 bij icbproperties.com een stuk grond gekocht en zij hebben mij prima geholpen. Ik woon in Varna .

Groeten,

Paul

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please write only in English on the anglophone forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi

I have just had a response from an agent in regards to a viewing request that the village is a "gipsy village". Is that an issue?

Hi yengyang yes in Mihaltsi,Pavlikeni .On the and of this week a get the key.On the house is a little work on but i have time for to do it.

The village is 20 minuten of Vt centrum.greetings Bart.

Bart Congratulations!!! on the purchase.

Thanks Yengyang and good luck .

Hallo Paul en woon je nu volledig in Varna of een gedeelte van het jaar?
Groeten Bart.

Hallo Paul en woon je nu volledig in Varna of een gedeelte van het jaar?
Groeten Bart.

Hi think my earlier post may have got lost in scroll heaven.

I have just had a response from an agent in regards to a viewing request that the village is a "gipsy village". Has anyone any experience or advice on this please?

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the proper section of the website : Housing in Bulgaria
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There is a separate section for ads.

Hi Paul,,,I live in a so called Gypsy village in Vinograd,like you,i moved here to retire,i have,nt had any problems at all with local people,,but i would not buy a holiday home here,to risky!!,,i have security in place + a dog,,,so please be aware of certain areas in BG,,,,,,,i am currently moving,not because of Gypsy area, as there are a few expats who are very happy living in Vinograd but because i want to be closer to VT,,,,regards eddie,,,(,my place is advertised in housing   section)

I will be in  VT to buy property the end of this month and would like to meet some expats. Also what is a good hotel to spend Christmas and NY...thanks

Hi Expats,
If anyone wants to meet up in VT on Saturday evening I would love to meet. I'm looking for property during the day. Lmk.thanks

We have finally done it!!!!! 😃 We have bought a lovely house in Butovo village near Pavlikeni and we move in in January..
Thanks to everyone so far for their help and support and we will be needing more in future..

Congratulations to you....