Shipping information

Is it worth it to get a container for sending stuff like beds, furniture,  etc?

Seven top reasons not to send furniture and beds from Tryon, OK, to Ecuador:

1. Shipping from small-town Oklahoma to Ecuador is expensive.

2. If shipping to Ecuador, the container may have to be unloaded and its contents picked up in Guayaquil, creating massive logistical challenges -- in Spanish, of course -- in getting the stuff to Canoa.

3. If you don't have a permanent residence in Ecuador yet, you will probably have to find and pay for storage.  And EC does not have a fully-developed self-storage program like in USA.

4. You can probably replace beds and furniture for much less than the costs of shipping, transport, taxes and tariffs, insurance, storage and unanticipated but related other costs.

5. If your choice of Ecuador or your residency-visa process doesn't work out, you may have spent thousands for, essentially, no positive result.

6.  Not shipping means one less headache to be dealing with while also handling a ton of other new challenges facing a newly-arrived Expat.

7. By not shipping, you avoid "the dogs of SENAE," the overly-creative Ecuadorian customs-agency, that will try your pocketbook, your patience, and possibly, your mental well-being.

Personally, from Cincinnati, I threw away, sold or gave away everything but four suitcases-worth of my property and the clothes on my back.  CarMax bought the car.  My storage facility accepted 98 percent of the rest and turned the contents of my 10 X 10 storage unit over to a third-party vendor.  I have never had cause to second-guess my decisions.

Start fresh. :)

cccmedia in Quito

Is there another option if you have multiple large items you want to bring with you?

MobileRover wrote:

Is there another option if you have multiple large items you want to bring with you?

If by "bring with you," you mean carry yourself, check online (or by phone) with your airline for excess baggage rules.

A possible option is sea freight carriers:

oceanfreightusa.com

worldwideshipping.com

internationalmoving.com

....just to name a few.

In some cases, you can access an online form to list and quantify the items for a free quote.

cccmedia in Quito

On the other hand, many people do ship their stuff here and it ihas the advantages of having many items that are much better than locally sold,  This is especially true of kitchen appliances like refrigerators, mixers, knives and other electronics such as tvs, computers and power tools.  And if you decide to return to your country of origin, you can sell it and buy what you want when you can return.

Plus I like our furniture and find it more comfortable than some locally made furniture.

Getting it out of customs is a hassle but not an insurmountable one.  Many people do ship here.

quito0819 wrote:

Many people do ship their stuff here and it has the advantage of having many items that are much better than locally sold,  This is especially true (of) electronics such as tvs, computers and power tools.

It was probably true years ago that TV sets and computers sold in Ecuador were years behind, say, the U.S.

That has been changing for the better.

My new computer is an HP laptop ($503 including tax), from the same maker and probably of the same quality as you would find in New York City, Chicago, Denver or L.A.  It was manufactured in 2014.

My TV set ($705 including tax, purchased in 2013) is a 36-inch Tekno made in Ecuador.  The picture is HDTV and fabulous.  Knock wood, I haven't had a single problem with it in the almost two years since I bought it here in the capital. :)

cccmedia in Quito

Happy for you, but the computers here are behind and many if not most are three times as much as in the States or Panamá.

Kitchen appliances such as mixes are up to three times as much.

Personally, cost, quality and access says buy and then ship.

quito0819 wrote:

Happy for you, but the computers (in EC) many if not most are three times as much as in the States or Panamá....

...cost, quality and access says buy and then ship.

If you don't know where to buy, you might pay three times as much for a computer.

Apple addicts visiting MacWorld at QuiCentro will find a warm welcome from a well-dressed salesman speaking fluent English (learned in Orlando, FL) and prices well over $2,000 for every computer they stock.

At Paco Paco in the same mall, the salesmen all speak Spanish-only, there are other customers in the store so you might need to call for attention, the computers are PC's - not Macs, and the prices are a fraction of those in the upscale store.

"Cost, quality and access":  At about $500 for a quality, recently-manufactured HP model, the price is right.  Quality:  it's HP, por amor a Elvis, same as you'd find in the U.S.  Access: what could be more accessible for someone in Ecuador than to walk into a big mall and bring home their new computer moments later ;)

cccmedia in Quito

Sorry to upset you, but I stand by what I said,  If one is going to do more than write emails and use word...then the quality of processors, motherboards etc available in the US is apples and oranges.  Buy and ship.  The quality of monitors made here - not to mention size and cost - does not compare with what is on the open market.  External hard drives are easily twice as much as I could buy from New Egg.

An iMac (the gold standard for graphics) is significantly higher than in the US.

quito0819 wrote:

If one is going to do more than write emails and use word...then the quality of processors, motherboards etc available in the US is apples and oranges.  External hard drives are easily twice as much as I could buy from New Egg.

An iMac (the gold standard for graphics) is significantly higher than in the US.

Unlike the above poster, who is a website designer, most Expats are not buying external hard drives from NewEgg, nor looking for "the gold standard of graphics" at Apple's three times the price.

So my advice on this thread is for Expats who want a serviceable name-brand laptop, not top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art computers with ongoing hardware upgrades.

Leading computer-vendors such as HP cannot manufacture inside the U.S. the millions of computers they sell monthly.  Just like for their computers purchased in the U.S., many or most of the key components in HP's computers purchased in Ecuador originate in China or Taiwan.  Nothing has been factually documented on this thread that should dissuade the majority of Expats in EC from buying in Ecuador if the price is right.

cccmedia in Quito

quito0819 wrote:

Buy and ship.

That sounds simple.  However, it violates the #2 rule for arriving Expats*:

Don't mess with the Ecuadorian bureaucracy any more than is absolutely necessary.

If shipping a computer, buy-and-ship puts you on potentially a head-on collision course into the dogs of SENAE (Ecuador customs).  You don't want to become personally familiar with their creative tariffs and fancy penalties.

Other expenses include courier delivery -- you can't trust regular mail even if the U.S. shipper is willing -- and the new $42 tariff, on top of already-existing tariffs.

Your warranty would be effectively voided because it's not worth the trouble to send your purchase overseas for repairs.  Buy in Ecuador and you're covered for at least one year.

cccmedia in Quito

*The #1 rule is:  Don't buy or build on any property in Ecuador until you have lived in the target area for at least one year.

Who made that rule?

whatever.

Hi. I am coming to Ecuador on June 2. I was reading what you wrote about shipping stuff. I just sold my house and there is no way I am parting with some of my beloved items. Although the cost is high, I can't imagine being able to replace a $2000 king size mattress there with the same quality. I also have a 1930's living room set that I would rather cut off my toe than give to someone. Where did you move from? Do you have any words of wisdom for me? My boyfriend insists on bringing his tools, ie: saws, and other things I don't touch.  I just don't agree with others that say it's not worth shipping. It's not easy for me to part with things. It's hard enough that I just sold my house that I have been in for 17 years and love!
Lauree

LaureeJ wrote:

Where did you move from? Do you have any words of wisdom for me? My boyfriend insists on bringing his tools, ie: saws, and other things I don't touch.  I just don't agree with others that say it's not worth shipping. It's not easy for me to part with things.

My "words of wisdom" appear in my "start fresh" post on this thread (Report #2) that was originally addressed to the gal in Oklahoma.  But if y'all can put up with the headaches of bringing a bunch of stuff into Ecuador, more power to 'ya.

Once you have your residency visa, you have six months in which you can bring in whatever in your shipping container, without paying the normal tariffs and fees.

I'm happier with my store-bought bed (El Bosque furniture store) that I got in Quito than the one I gave away to the storage facility in Cincinnati, where I moved from.  There are lots of good furniture-makers here who can construct beds, etc. to your needs if you change your mind.

Can't say I blame Tony for wanting to bring his tools.  Those could be harder to replace.

cccmedia in Quito

Just a quick note. I am super sentimental. I have a 1930s couch set that I could never part with. Books, antiques passed down from generations. I am a Taurus. Enough said. I don't part well with things.
LJ

I have moved a number of times, frequently "starting over". I've now reached the point where I have some possessions that I simply do not want to dispose of, or to buy again.

My piece of advice would be, when estimating the total shipment, add extra total numbers of boxes, as the shipping companies will charge your a huge amount per additional box (even though this does not significantly impact the actual volume or weight of the shipping). So, if you think you will have 20 boxes (of everything) then say 30, and if on the day you only have 25, it will still be massively cheaper.

Books are an example of something that I will not throw away. Another is clothes, pictures (of which we have too many, but always better to be looking for more wall space, than staring at empty walls.

Jovite wrote:

when estimating the total shipment, add extra total numbers of boxes.... So, if you think you will have 20 boxes... then say 30, and if on the day you only have 25, it will still be massively cheaper.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Jovite.  That was a good money-saving tip. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

How many suitcases can you bring?  How big can they be? And, how much does it cost for each?  Can you bring things NOT in suitcases, that might be just slightly too big?  For instance, as a single mom who's going to have to pay to send my son to an international school, I'm planning on not renting a furnished apartment, but instead taking two large air mattresses to sleep on, a heavy duty inflatable couch and 2 folding Palawan chairs for living room, and bedding, linens, and most importantly (since I might not want splurge on a stove right away, 2 crockpots, a propane hot plate, toaster oven, quite a fe ceramic and stainless steel cookware and bakeware items, 2 high speed blenders,  1 electric heater, 2 fans, some lamps and artwork, and maybe my desktop computer and Samsung smart TV.  Some of those may be too big for even a large suitcase.  Oh, and clothes for both of us and some toys for him.  My jigsaw, electric drill and sander and maybe small box with hammer, wrenches, sockets etc.

I'll be bringing my two cats in cargo too.  Is this safe?  And, I just heard by the time you run around town and get documents and pay fees, you can't get your cats for like 8 hours after you arrive.  Is there any way around this or a way to speed it up?  My cats are old and have health issues.

P.s.  Are there free wooden (or other material) pallets available outside of businesses that get large deliveries, like in the US?  I thought I could make some furniture out of them

How expensive and reliable is it to have a friend ship some boxes to me after I'm settled?

chemfreemom wrote:

How many suitcases can you bring?  How big can they be? And, how much does it cost for each?  Can you bring things NOT in suitcases, that might be just slightly too big?

Check with prospective airlines for any oddball stuff and look up the more standard information at the Worldwide Baggage Fee Chart...

www.farecompare.com/about/worldwide-baggage-fee-chart

cccmedia in Quito

chemfreemom wrote:

I'm planning on not renting a furnished apartment, but instead taking two large air mattresses to sleep on, a heavy duty inflatable couch and 2 folding Palawan chairs for living room, and bedding, linens, and most importantly (since I might not want splurge on a stove right away, 2 crockpots, a propane hot plate, toaster oven, quite a few ceramic and stainless steel cookware and bakeware items, 2 high speed blenders,  1 electric heater, 2 fans, some lamps and artwork, and maybe my desktop computer and Samsung smart TV.  Some of those may be too big for even a large suitcase.  Oh, and clothes for both of us and some toys for him.  My jigsaw, electric drill and sander and maybe small box with hammer, wrenches, sockets etc.

The idea of y'all coming from the airport with this amount of stuff reminds me of the TV opening for "The Beverly Hillbillies" -- an open truck piled high with all belongings from the old life, about to start a new one in an unknown land. ;)

Seriously, the logistics of moving this stuff around Ecuador till you get a settled home seems over-the-top daunting.

Let's look at some of this a piece or so at a time....

Air mattresses and inflatable couch....
   If you can fold this stuff up small, might work.  If it's big and bulky, lose it and buy new here in Ecuador.

Kitchen stuff...
    You're right, you won't need a stove right away.  But please, that's way too much stuff to bring with you, and you can probably replace it or buy equivalent stuff new here without the hassle of carrying it internationally and then around town.

Folding chairs...
    Unless Palawan has some special meaning, I'd guess these are too bulky, and should be replaced here.

Linens...
    Bring 'em, but no bulky comforters.  The sheets and a new alpaca blanket or two bought here should be enough.

Electric heater, two fans...
    Odds are you won't need this stuff in the EC highlands.  It's so mild here.

Lamps, artwork....
    Unless it's super-special or worth a fortune, you can replace this stuff inexpensively here.

Advanced TV...bring it, could be expensive to replace here.

Desktop computer...
    Unless it's some almost-new Apple worth 2K, this could be a disaster to deal with due to size-weight-bulk, with little upside.  My only computer, the one I'm typing on now, is an HP laptop I bought new a few months ago in Quito for $503 including tax.

Clothes...dump or give away anything you're not attached to.

Toys...bring only stuff your child can't part with.

Tools...bring stuff you can't replace, replace the rest, expect SENAE static if you try to bring in anything sharp or dangerous or oversized.

Personally, when I moved here in 2013, I brought four suitcases and everything else was tossed or given away in the U.S.

cccmedia in Quito

chemfreemom wrote:

How expensive and reliable is it to have a friend ship some boxes to me after I'm settled?

Very expensive, and probably a recipe for disaster.

The dogs of SENAE have unbounded creativity in finding ways to add tariffs, delay shipments and confiscate whatever, at their convenience.

cccmedia in Quito

By the way, 'Mom, how ya gonna stay in Ecuador long-term?

Your frugal planning -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- makes us question whether you can pony up 25K for a bank CD as a possible fulfillment of a visa requirement.

Of course, if you have a $900+ a month pension, you could be fine.  Meaning, you thus have enough income to qualify for a pensioner residency visa, including one dependent.

cccmedia in Quito

chemfreemom wrote:

I'll be bringing my two cats in cargo too.  Is this safe?  And, I just heard by the time you run around town and get documents and pay fees, you can't get your cats for like 8 hours after you arrive.  Is there any way around this or a way to speed it up?  My cats are old and have health issues.

P.s.  Are there free wooden (or other material) pallets available outside of businesses that get large deliveries, like in the US?  I thought I could make some furniture out of them.

Trying to import old, sick cats into Ecuador is not recommended.  In some cases, it may not be possible, if the cats do not pass the required pre-trip health exam ... or encounter problems on the plane and get put in SENAE pet prison.

Wooden pallets?  They probably exist.  It's unlikely anyone on this forum could predict your ability to obtain same.  Some negotiation in Spanish might be necessary.

cccmedia in Quito

Do you have a source of income? You can't just pack up and move to a foreign country without a specialized visa. Have you really thought the whole thing through? Are you  putting the cart before the horse?

As CCC says it must be a minimum of $900 a month. and that will be very tough. Have you checked into the price of the international school you want to send your son too? Will they give a pensioner visa to a non-pensioner? For one person to live comfortably is about $1500 month $1200 frugally

Hope you are not expecting to find a job in EC?

Not going to happen unless you have a work contract .and are proficient in Spanish If you are  a health care professional proficient in Spanish you might be able to get a job. It's probably not going to pay well if you are not a doctor

Ditto to what ccc said about the cats. Cats are usually NOT good travelers even with sedation.
Do you want to put  your poor old sick cats thru this ordeal. How many hours in the cargo compartment of a plane?
The kindest thing to do might be to put them down if you can't find a home for them. I would consider bringing them to the Humane Society if you are unable to find a home for them and cannot bear to euthanize them

. My big not too cute  15 year old cat actually got adopted in within three days. They told the sad story(online with photos) of why our family cat (from birth) had to go to a good home that could afford to take care of him It was difficult to do, but it worked it.

And finally ,are you going to be able to negotiate finding a place to stay until you can find an apartment in a very large city that you have never  laid  eyes on where you don't even speak the language . Will you be able to find the grocery store?, ...a school for your son with a map probably in Spanish. Will you be able to find the bus lines and schedules for getting you to  where you need to go. Buses are the most economical transportation although taxis are relatively cheap compared to  the US. Again you will face the language barrier  in getting yourself and your son where you need to go?  I'm assuming you haven't made an exploratory trip to see if your plan is workable. It really sounds like you don't know a soul English or Spanish speaking to help you with  all these things. Give it a good think.

O of O
Getting older and wiser every day

suefrankdahl wrote:

Do you have a source of income? You can't just pack up and move to a foreign country without a specialized visa.

For a U.S. passport holder, best case scenario in Ecuador without a residency visa is probably nine months.  Three months with the customary tourist-stamp-on-arrival, extending in Ecuador with a 180-day non-immigrant extension visa.  After the 270th day,  you would have to be out of the country until about three months later, and could return on another tourist stamp on or after the anniversary of the first one.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

As CCC says, it must be a minimum of $900 a month.... Will they give a pensioner visa to a non-pensioner?

There's no age limitation for the primary applicant for a pension visa.

It's simply $800+ per month in certifiably reliable income plus $100 per month per dependent.  Rental income does not meet the ministry's requirement for a pensioner.

cccmedia in Quito

I really like to travel light. Airports are such a hassle, worse if your crossing an international border.

If I do end up deciding on EC. Will contact all my expat buddies on the Coast, Cuenca and Quito  and hopefully get to have a nice visit

Maybe a whole month and get recommendations for where to look. for appartments...Safe areas. and then just go wander around and check for signs in the windows the papers' I don't even know if they have Craig's List in EC  and hopefully be able to check out what an apartment looks like.in EC...furnished, unfurnished, amenities and prices. I really would like to keep my set up costs down. After living off the grid for ten years the only  "must haves" are hot and cold running water, a shower, indoor plumbing and electricity at least for part of the day. Furnished apartments would of course be easier but basically for one person all you need to start is something to sleep on, a table and a chair which I'm sure could be scrounged up or purchased hopefully used and I could probably afford more but I don't want  to end up spending a lot in case I decide to move and have to deal with moving it. Cooking I think I would opt for the gas burner and put a microwave on my wish list. Ah.... Living off the grid for ten years was a great learning experience I highly recommend it. Simplifying your life is a wonderful thing. What you actually need and the "stuff" that clutters up your life.

I agree with CCC about what to do with your "stuff'" when you're ready to make the move...for me it's sell it, whatever doesn't sell give it away. And anything that isn't worthy of Good Will can go in the dumpster.

The sentimental stuff will fit in a suitcase. I'm sure I'll  have company especially if I end up on the Coast and they'll just have to bring it as luggage.

What  a plan.. Thanks to all my friends on the EC Forum for their help and good information. This would be a breeze :D

Where I come from (Ottawa, Canada) my cat would not be that Lucky with the Humane Society - she was feral and is timid with people and they might kill her.  She is definitely coming with me, in her 'kittylimousine' carrier Under the plane seat.  THat you cannot do with two cats.  I wish you all the luck. 

Try posting a message on the Expat.com using keyword 'pets' and maybe someone can offer you better advise.  I have not yet mae the trip but will shortly.

HelenPivoine

Cats being imported to Ecuador by plane which 'act up' and revert to their feral state in transit are subject to inspection upon landing, confinement in SENAE pet prison and being put down by the authorities.

Consider re-thinking your plan.

cccmedia in Quito

Okie dokie sue wrote:

Is it worth it to get a container for sending stuff like beds, furniture,  etc?

The Day in Quito BlogSpot has just published commentaries from five Expats on this topic.

The consensus is, no, it's not worth shipping large items or those pieces susceptible to damage... that it's less expensive to replace furniture and large appliances in Ecuador... that Expats should bring with them what can be carried on their flight, and that's it.  One commentary said large appliances may not even be fixable in Ecuador as parts are different.

One correspondent said, "Think twice about shipping anything to Ecuador.  Our members (South American Explorers) have had terrible experiences with the Ecuadorian customs system.  Import papers must be redone several times...

"Additional duties on both new and used items are imposed at the last minute.  Things are stolen out of the shipping boxes... and there are no import contractors (in Miami, for instance) that will make a difference."

The only thing I don't know if I can get in Ecuador is an adjustable bed base. Everything else I can get into 4 suitcases, for which I will pay extra baggage fees, but cheaper and safer than trying to ship. It seems like a lot of hassle for one big item, but my ability to breathe if I come down with a sinus infection may be worth the headache.

ccc<media,

I just noticed your post #31.  My cat was feral but she has been with me for almost 8 years now and is getting better.  She is just afraid of strangers, dogs, etc.  I do not think that it would be reason to put her down!  Besides, she is quite a beauty and everyone says so.

HelenPivoine

Bringing a container is well worth it if you are building. Even popular US brands that are sold in Ecuador are often nothing more than licensing agreements. Otherwise said, the label might say GE but almost everything you will find in EC is made in China and will cost significantly more. If I had to do it all over again I would have taken two containers!

What can I do with my belongings while I rent?
If I rent for one year in Ecuador?

zarnockf wrote:

What can I do with my belongings while I rent?
If I rent for one year in Ecuador?

Have you got your visa-strategy worked out that would allow you to stay in Ecuador for a full year?

Options include non-immigrant visa status for studying Spanish or volunteering, good for one year.

You could stay nine months with an automatic 90-day tourist stamp on arrival, followed by a 180-day visa extension.

What's your plan?

cccmedia in Quito

Hello,
As for transporting a pet under your seat, this depends on the airline. Each has its own regulations as you probably know.

Just a tip from one who has transported pets internationally, vets highly advise against sedation. There is no medication that can sedate one's pet for an entire,  lengthy flight. It also puts your pet's health at risk at high altitude and cabin pressure.

As for CARGO STATUS (mucho caro), FYI, animals are contained in the SAME area of the plane as those flying as EXCESS BAGGAGE (which costs so much less - thousands$). However, some airlines, particularly the American ones, do not allow EXCESS BAGGAGE STATUS per TSA regs, but that's a joke since, as mentioned above, they're in the EXACT SAME area as CARGO. The reason -- so that airlines can charge ludicrous prices. Some airlines also do not have personnel trained to handle pets with care or concern.

If you can place your pet you under the seat, that is the best option. Good luck.
PS

I will be applying for Residency visa with Pensionado.  Not sure if I should apply before I leave the states which would give me residency when I arrive there.  Or I should I wait and apply when I get there?  I've contacted a lawyer in Cuenca and she gave me all the details about how to apply etc.  Biggest problem is what to do with my furniture here since I won't have a permanent place to live in Ecuador yet until I get there and start searching.  I know I can put my furniture in storage here.  Then how do I get it shipped out of storage?  Do I have to return to the states (once I buy an apartment there) to arrange shipping furniture out of storage?

In my international experiences, it's better to sell the items back home and start over for most items. I think other OPs have addressed what to bring as excess baggage and what not. I can tell you that one of my overseas shipments arrived with considerable damage and missing items and the "insurance" was useless, as each port of entry argued that the items were damaged/missing elsewhere. There you go.

Follow ccmedia's advice. Lots of vital info on this website about shipping vs. purchasing.

Regards,
PS