Tony & Lauree Heading to Ecuador: What's a Gal to Do? Teach English?

New member Lauree J. and her boyfriend Tony have had enough of Canadian winters and are heading to La República.

Tony is a man of many talents and Lauree is sure he'll get plenty of work here.

But Lauree's not sure what she'll be doing.  Teaching English (ESL) perhaps.   Import/export also interests her.

Naturally, we can't discuss this on the New Members thread since the Home Office is reserving that for introductions.

Anyway, Lauree, I was having crepes and coffee at the QuiCentro mall today while English teacher Tim White was conducting a one-on-one class at a table outside the coffee-shop.  His student was a young Ecuadoriana who is preparing to become an English-speaking tour-guide.  He invited me to sit in.

As the class was ending, Tim told me how busy he has become teaching English to the Quito locals.  He said he had six classes scheduled today alone! 

In one class this afternoon he was going to teach a restaurant table-waiting group in Gringolandia how to communicate with their Gringo customers.  Tim says he prefers teaching privately over a school setting.

Historically, pay has been low for English teachers in Quito, and those associated with a school sometimes have split schedules -- morning and evening.

However, someone who builds a clientele over time and gets referral business as Tim does can charge above-average rates and schedule his own time.

Still, Laurie, obtaining an ESL teacher certificate now would probably be wise if you decide to follow this path, since your first job(s) would probably be in a school setting where certification may be required.  The certification course would also help you learn how to make lesson-plans and other teaching tips.

Posters, feel free to advise Lauree on this thread.  Her original post was at New Members thread.

cccmedia in Quito

My wife has been an ESL instructor mainly with Spanish students for Forty years.  Good to know these trends.

Bruce

Thank you so much for all of that wonderful information! We can't wait to go there and check things out!
Lauree

I just booked my flight! I am arriving in Quito on June the 3rd (1225am... uggh).  I have already booked a hotel for 2 nights to start and will go from there!

LaureeJ wrote:

I am arriving in Quito on June the 3rd (1225am... uggh).  I have already booked a hotel for 2 nights to start and will go from there!

International flights arriving at UIO at midnight or later -- that's typical.

Unless someone is meeting you, your only choice into town at that hour is probably a taxi charging $30 or more.  If there are other arriving passengers looking for a taxi, you could approach them and offer to split the fare.  Quito taxis typically accommodate up to four passengers.

cccmedia in Quito

You never know. I may luck out but I was already counting on just paying the money. I am staying and Hostal Sanblas. Looks quaint. 

Soooooooo excited!!!!!

LaureeJ wrote:

I am staying at Hostal Sanblas. Looks quaint.

The 'hostal' itself seems fine, but when I was a visitor in Quito I preferred to stay in Mariscal, rather than the San Blas's area near Banco Central.

When you see how much color and services Mariscal offers, you may want to consider staying there for additional days or if you come back to Quito from other areas.

There's plentiful bus/trole transportation to everywhere from Banco Central, but in Mariscal you can get to so many places just on foot, avoiding a lot of trips on overcrowded buses. 

On a map, Banco Central appears close to places you might want to walk to, and it is.  But many of those spots are on sloped streets, whereas Mariscal is basically level.  Adjusting to 9,250 feet above sea level on your first week, you do not want to challenge yourself with extra climbing regardless of your youthfulness, good health and conditioning.

cccmedia in Quito

Good to know. Depending on what I end up doing I am end up going back to Quito at the end of my trip.  I have definitely made note of Mariscal. I will only be in Quito for a short time. I will also make note not to bother wearing or bringing any high heeled shoes!!!
Lauree

I may actually change my reservation. I  was looking at the area in my book. The fact that the Mariscal area is considered "GringoLand" sold me. Thanks for the tip! 7 days to go!!!!!
LJ

Changed to Casa Kanela in Gringoland.

LaureeJ wrote:

Changed to Casa Kanela in Gringoland.

Casa Kanela has a much better location for you than Banco Central.

I also see that this restored historic house/hotel in Gringolandia got higher-than-average ratings from 58 of the 70 respondents at tripadvisor.com  :top:

cccmedia in Quito

3 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Lauree, my name is CJD, I have been on this blog for 6 months now.  I've been reading your posts and find myself getting as excited as you to see what you find out on your visit. Is Tony joining you or do I remember you saying your going to "scout" it out first ?
We (Gene and  I) are purging and looking to move as soon as we sell our home in Sarasota/Bradenton FL.
I or we of course will make a trip first to decide where in EC.
I am also like you I need some of my "stuff" they contain so many memories, although I am doing really well in reducing "the load".  I do need some of it in order to make EC feel like home. I would be interested in how and what you will be sending and who you may use.
We are looking at Cuenca, we are older than you and are concerned with the altitude, although Gene and I are youthful for our age and it should not matter after we get used to it, but we are keeping out options open until after we visit.
I would like to be moved by Sept of this year and will probably have to get in gear.  Have you spoken to anyone like visa angels on getting the visa process started ?? or are you using an attorney ?
If you choose to, I would like you to keep in touch with me on your findings.  I am excited for you !!!!  Enjoy your trip and stay safe.  CJD   aka     Carol Jean :top:

Hello! I am really looking forward to my trip. I am indeed travelling solo as Tony needs to stay home and work and look after the cat. We got rid of a lot of things at our yard sale a couple of weekends ago. It was nice to say goodbye to the snow blower!

The stuff we are taking will be our bed and the guest room bed as well as my love seat set. All of the kitchen gadgets, pots, etc. We love to cook and are fussy with what we cook with. The BBQ is definitely coming, I just bought it last summer and it's awesome. Books, framed pictures, all of Tony's tools and all of my shoes! Well not all of them. I am going to have a very happy mother and sister who will be getting the majority of my high heeled footwear.

As far as the visa process goes, I have been speaking with the man who runs the place I am staying in for a week in Bahia. He recommended EcuaAssist. I just sent them an e-mail yesterday and will probably be hearing from them tomorrow. I just read about Visa Angels the other day. Perhaps it's my previous career that makes me suspicious of anything that is almost free. I am sure to be getting a lot of great advice from the Expats while I am there.  I am meeting with 2 separate real estate agents to look at some houses. We want something with an ocean view that has a lot of privacy and a huge garden.

Thanks for your nice message. This will be my first time travelling for 2 weeks alone in over 20 years! My father is freaking out the same way he did back in 1994 when I went to Costa Rica for 2 months. Once Daddy's little girl always Daddy's little girl I guess.

We will definitely stay in touch. I will have many things to share with you when I return.

Best Regards,
Lauree

Hello again,

When you return please contact me
Thanks  it would be of  great help. Enjoy your adventure, stay safe and have a productive trip.
:cheers:
Regards,
CJD

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I am back! I can't figure out how to send a message just to CJD!

LaureeJ wrote:

I am back! I can't figure out how to send a message just to CJD!

Simply click on that persons avatar and when it opens you will find ' send a message' on the right hand side of the page. Click on that and go for it !!

LaureeJ wrote:

I am back!

What about the rumor that you bought a fixer-upper house a stone's throw from the beach in San Clemente, a week after arrival in Ecuador?

Was it a ganga?

cccmedia in Quito