Malta Healthcare System EU & NON EU SPOUSE

Hi

In relation to the health care system in Malta, I am a dual UK/ Irish citizen from Northern Ireland UK and my wife is a Chinese national,
due to UK government not allowing there own citizens here to bring there non eu spouses as most ppls wages dont exceed 18,600GBP then we have had to look at other options, if we were to reside in Malta and if my wife gets pregnant, does she need health insurance to cover her and me during our time there or if i work there then is she covered through my social security contributions or can she qualify for healthcare through me being from UK and using an EU reciprocal health care agreement between UK and Malta!

Hope to hear from yous soon

Many Thanks

Conor and Zhoumi

Hi,

if you are resident in Malta you will have to have healthcare coverage. When you work in Malta and pay NI contributions you and your wife will be entitled to use the national health care system in Malta.

As a UK passport holder you yourself can also be entitled to use the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the UK and Malta. If your wife holds a UK passport she is also entitled , otherwise, no.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

. If your wife holds a UK passport she is also entitled , otherwise, no.

Cheers
Ricky

actually his wife would be, as I found out though applying - a non EU citizen spouse is legally a dependent, and so can get an RHA if spouse holds UK passport :-)

Hi George,

thanks for the correction on the RHA entitlement for non-British spouses of UK citizens although it doesn't really make sense with not allowing them into the UK if salary requirements are not met yet paying their health costs in Malta.

Or am I missing something in the logic?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi George,

thanks for the correction on the RHA entitlement for non-British spouses of UK citizens although it doesn't really make sense with not allowing them into the UK if salary requirements are not met yet paying their health costs in Malta.

Or am I missing something in the logic?

Cheers
Ricky

I suspect the logic is that at some point RHA rules will be tightened up

"thanks for the correction on the RHA entitlement for non-British spouses of UK citizens "

it only applies if they are non-EU

Thank you both for your prompt replies :)

My wife is a Chinese national and does not hold a UK passport!
She is in UK on a 6 month visit visa and we have just found out shes pregnant!

If one is to try and use the RHA- is this as the person dosent work? and can claim healthcare there this way!
Id rather work to be honest!!
and with her being Chinese national then gess RHA is out of the matter,
With me working then she can be covered as i would be paying social security contributions! (is this right)

if one is to get health coverage:
is it expensive to have the baby there and any idea about costs!
the maltese visa application will want her to have health insurance before she arrives anyway!!!

these following actually seem the logical ways to do things- either me paying through SSC and working or her having health insurance!

Wow, congrats. I am in the same boat my friend. I went to Malta to stay for the three months required to come home to the UK. I have the Maltese phone number, social security and residency. However the law changed and now it's not a three month stint anymore. Me and my wife ended up paying for a private birth as I didn't figure the health side out and with the impending birth of our son we came to her home country in Mauritius. It's easy to get the £18,600k for me, I'll be earning that soon. However I lack trusting them. I don't dare apply for the VAF4A. I'm scared. They are horrible. Well with the EU winning the case for all the 26 EU members to bring their spouse without restrictions, our rights should be next on the books. Hope they fight for us too. I'm planning on getting health insurance for are lass, however it was well cheaper to go private for the birth outside of the EU. it's a massive pain in the ass ant it. Did you have a boy or a girl? Are you still in Malta?