Gringos go home!!! No spanish, no stay!!! This will weed out.

I find a certain irony in the thought that having to have some aptitude in Spanish in a Spanish speaking country is offensive, when I've heard so many North Americans complain about "foreigners" not assimilating in the US or Canada. (Resistance is futile!) While not everyone will be able to become fluent, most should surely be able to pick up enough Spanish to conduct most day to day business. We're the immigrants, we should do what we can to embrace our chosen country's culture. Even if the "joke" did cause some panic, it could eventually come to pass; be prepared for the possibility. (Even though I think CCCMedia is correct in their assessment of why it won't happen any time soon!)

Not offensive to me. I plan to take Spanish classes & become as fluent as possible as this will also help me as I now live in South Florida where Spanish is needed
Sally Ewing

This was  a really bad April  fools  joke.  Please  don't  spread  it any farther!

kindheart1956 wrote:

This was reminiscent of Orison Wells "war of the worlds".  He was never allowed on the radio again after the scares he caused.  So maybe the person who posted it should be banned from this blog for life?  Just a thought about Justice!

I agree with the statement above. This forum is a safe place for those who want to learn the "reality" of EC life. It should be a creditable place for all to get information and share stories. I for one was not thrilled by the "April fools joke".
I personally tried to get more info on it via groups and online. I just don't think those kind of jokes/posts should've allowed. Really it's clearly disinformation. This brings me back to the members comment on posts like this being similar to war of the worlds in radio. It's misleading and should be banned. The post and the person who posted it.
The forum/ website is a place ( I think) for accurate information on events and connections to those interested in being an expat. I imagine this forum/ website makes it easier for those of us who are searching for answers and info on EC to understand the climate both political and actual. I'm kinda thrown aback at jokes not be labeled as disinformation and therefore being banned or deleted.
I personally went on for weeks thinking that post was legit. Not nice or of value to anyone to permit nonsensical info.
Ban em. 😍😒

The dubious pre-April joke on Expats was perpetrated by a Cuenca-based website, not by anyone on the Expat.com Ecuador forum.

To our knowledge, the parties responsible were never on this blog and have not attempted to participate in Expat.com.

Expat.com members have obviously participated in discussing the incident, and (except for one or two posts that were moderated) have done so within their rights and in an appropriate manner.

Correcting the record: The statement above that Orson Wells was "never allowed on the radio again" is false.  His 1938 War of the Worlds broadcast contained audience notifications at the beginning and midway through the show as to the true nature of the broadcast.  The use of fake news bulletins was not allowed on radio after the War of the Worlds broadcast, but Wells was not banned from appearing on national radio.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi everybody,

As this joke has been made on Aprils fool day and that we are already in the month of May, which means that this joke is now outdated,  we are closing this thread in order to limit the number of useless disputes.

Thank you

Priscilla

[ Topic closed ]

Closed