Forearm tattoo - Ofensive or Not Offensive

Hello everyone.

Would someone please look at the pics i post in this topic and tell me if this tattoo i have might be considered offensive in the Emirates?

It is not a religious tattoo or linked to any sort of cult or gang... I do not carry tattooed in me any signs related to religion, politics, cults, gangs, etc. Do not mistake the star as a Judaic star... it is a five pointed one.

This one i am concerned about is a memorial to my Grandparents. It is sort of a way to honour them as they were an important part of my life.

Each letter represents the first letter of the name i used to address each of my Grandparents. Yes there are 5 letters for i was blessed on having 5 Grandparents on being the sister of one of my Grannys who was like a Granny for me... 3 Grannys and 2 Granddads.

Hope someone can help me realise if i can keep it like it is or it is better to cover-up only the star.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii335/ZPedro2008/Mobile%20Uploads/20150404_123119_zpslrupmukm.jpg

Thank you all and cheers

Pedro&Vanda

It is not offensive but maybe Arab police officers could be confused and will think it's a Jewish sign, which I think it is a sensitive issue in UAE. You can avoid showing it at the malls but maybe won't be an issue at places like beaches/ bars.

Wear long sleeved shirts so the tattoo is not visible at all times when you are out anywhere.

I have many tattoos and always keep them covered when in other countries.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m0sBHFeCvoc/UeEriGO1G7I/AAAAAAAAAok/6j1Ew7dFusg/s1600/s2.png

Since your tattoo was quite obviously inspired by the obverse face of the Talisman of Saturn, used in ritual magic it is very likely that it is going to be seen as a religious symbol and be offensive in Arab nations. These people are going to clearly understand what this pentagram is and react strongly to it.

Stumpy has given you the best advice... wear a long sleeved shirt and keep it covered at all times in public. It's funny how most people who tend towards tattoos rarely think about the long-term or future effects possible BEFORE they get a tattoo. What might be perfectly acceptable in one culture may not necessarily be acceptable in another.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks a lot to all that replied...

If i move to the UAE i will change it... cover up the star with something else.

Cheers to all

I agree that this tattoo can cause ambiguous reaction in the United Arab Emirates! Their religion is very specific. If it is interesting, you can read article about tattoos on a forearm
tattoo-journal.com/35-best-forearm-tattoo-designs

No one will care about this in uae. Locals undrstand it is part of western culture.  If you make close local friend they may ask about it. In a professional setting you will need to cover it. If you teach or work with kid  cover it. Walking down the mall no one will even notice.

glopez11 wrote:

No one will care about this in uae. Locals undrstand it is part of western culture.  If you make close local friend they may ask about it. In a professional setting you will need to cover it. If you teach or work with kid  cover it. Walking down the mall no one will even notice.

I agree with this.  :cool::top:

I disagree ,I think you should cover it in public,as not to draw attention,and maybe the wrong attention.
Is it really worth the hassle????

Brussels sprouts wrote:

I disagree ,I think you should cover it in public,as not to draw attention,and maybe the wrong attention.
Is it really worth the hassle????

No one will notice it or care about it. That's the fact. Lol :D

Its simple cover it up,  You the visitor, so respect as others must respect you and your  believes

You are so right,simple enough cover it up,and to say people don't care that's simply not true.
I as a westerner am totally embarrassed the way people dress here,with no respect that it's a Muslim country,they dress totally inappropriately and all my friends also westerners are in full agreement.
Show respect,dress properly niot with everything hanging out.

You right, I always say,respect others and they will respect you