Hoping to live in Thailand

Hi all,
I'm Singaporean, 57, hoping to live in Thailand, probably Chiang Mai.
I just came back from Chiang Mai, was there for 5 days. It was very hot (37degree C).
I've heard it is a cool place in other months, so I will plan to go again.

Since my son married a Thai, both working in Singapore, I'm thinking their future will naturally retiring in Thailand because I'm also unwilling to retire in this world-most-expensive island-city. So eventually it is good to get a property (or landed) in long term.

I still got time to plan as I'm still doing part time as IT support. My priorities might be to learn Thai language and looking into Chiang Mai rental and sales properties.

Cheers.

kploh - You've been misinformed. The climate in Chiang Mai has changed in recent years and the only cooler months are December to February. The rest of the time it's very hot and humid.

Pigman58 - Thank you very much for the update. Definitely will be a concern if the temperature is hot and humid.

Hello kploh888,

Please note that I have created a new thread on the Chiang Mai forum as this will ease your interactions with our members on the forum.

You are always welcome, should you have any query in regard to your settlement in Thailand :)

You may as well share your travel experience with the other members which can be handy for them.

Best of luck in your endeavors :top:

Thanks & Regards

Mishna

Chiang Mai - a good choice.

Chiang Rai - a better choice.

If golf is your game, Chiang Mai has many courses - quite expensive now.

Chiang Rai - one course.

All the infrastructure that Chiang Mai has.

If a visa run is necessary, Mae Sai is about 30km from Chiang Rai.

Initially, I lived in Chiang Mai for 12 years. Initially, it was great. Since then - my opinion - on the slide. Over populated, traffic jams & pollution.

Hi,

I have been to Bangkok only but fell in love with the city.  However, my son told me that ChianMai is also very nice and much less expensive than Bangkok.  How is it compared to Bangkok in your opinion?  I am in the exploration stage to find a city for retiring in.  I am living in Vancouver and want a change.  I cannot see myself having to work till 65 before I can afford to retire in such an expensive city.  I appreciate some advise and info. about ChianMai

rdhtrader wrote:

Hi,

I have been to Bangkok only but fell in love with the city.  However, my son told me that ChianMai is also very nice and much less expensive than Bangkok.  How is it compared to Bangkok in your opinion?  I am in the exploration stage to find a city for retiring in.  I am living in Vancouver and want a change.  I cannot see myself having to work till 65 before I can afford to retire in such an expensive city.  I appreciate some advise and info. about ChianMai

Use website like Numbeo to compare these both cities, see link below :

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … Chiang+Mai

Thank You very much for the info.  Very helpful indeed.  I think I better go there and check it out.
I will check out the activities being offered there as well. i.e.  Art classes, cooking classes, floral arranging classes, dances etc....  have to make sure my days can be occupied with fun and learning as well. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you