Best place to live in Ecuador...

Thank you all for answering my question. Sorry if my question was somehow vague. The kind of place we are looking for is somewhere not cold , somewhere safe , a place where we can find a job and do some business like opening a cafe or restaurant. The thing is we have no idea what skills can come handy there. Or what kind of business can work better. I should add that we aren't planning to make much money. We are looking for a calm life not a luxurious kind of life. We are naturer lovers
Thank you in advance for helping me :)

From that new description, might I suggest that you do some research on Salinas, Montañita, Loja and Vilcabamba.  The first 2 are oceanfront communities, the latter two reside in a sierra valley, known for temperate climate. Of the four, three have thriving expat communities, looking for additional dining/cultural options.  Loja is not so big with the Expat community, but you could maybe grow a business aimed at the local populace or draw from Vilcabamba. Salinas and Montañita are arguably, the two most prominent and well-recognized mainland beachfront communities, but they each offer an increasingly different vibe.  Salinas can be live in, as applies to "town proper", but Montañita requires you to live in Olón (5 minute drive away) or somewhere else in the surrounding area. You have to experience Montañita to fully understand. Do some research on these and, please, try to remember that a great deal of what is available on the Internet only has a vague resemblance to reality.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

hi, i plan to visit Salinas next week, hope to find a good place to live.
I traveled Cuenca, Guayaquil, Montanita, Banos, etc. recently, different places and experience. I like coast more than sierra.

Gentisle,

Until just now, I had not heard of La Libertad, and it sounds great.  We live in Cuenca now, and you are right - it rains - a lot.  And it is a bit chilly for my bones, so we are considering a move to warmer climes, yet, being retired, need to be able to access shopping and pharmacy easily. 

Can you tell me what the rental costs there are like?  We don't need to be ON the ocean, but a nice safe area.   

Thanks in advance,
Mary

netbean,,

Look me up when you get to Salinas. Call me locally at  098.522.9631. We'll grab a cup of coffee or whatever your preference.  I have done business in Ecuador for 26 years and have lived in Salinas for 5.5 years.

Hector

MByerly,

Not GentIsle, but know La Libertad well. It is the commercial centre for the greater Salinas coastal area, serving as the primary shopping and business needs hub from as far away as Olón and La Entrada (1:15 - 1:30 hours away).  La Libertad, like Salinas, has a central Malecón (Boardwalk), which imo is even more attractive.  La Libertad also houses the areas only regional mall, El Paseo.  It is much less touristy feeling, although it gets a strong share of tourism dollars, than Salinas.  Salinas feels like a place you'd vacation, while La Libertad feels like a place you'd live. La  Libertad also offers much more "local flair", as opposed to the heavily Expat influenced Salinas.  Depends on what your preferred cup of team is like.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Hector G. Quintana,

Thank you so much for the information.  We will need to to a run down there. 

Can you tell a little on cost of housing there?  For, say, a 2 bed/2 bath house (not condo - we have a dog) preferably with at least a small yard?  Are there many (any?) homes with a first floor bedroom/bath? 

Thank you again,
Mary
[email protected]

I prefer the mountains and smaller towns. Cotacachi is perfect for me, normally 48 degrees in the morning and usually around 75 in the day with light to  moderate clouds and very low humidity. I wear jeans and a sweatshirt all year. Population around 5,500 people (500 or so gringos), very quiet and peaceful. Good internet, decent US style shopping in Ibarra (1/2 hour bus trip-50 cents), I drink tap water and have not had any problems in 5 years (totally new water system in town)  Rent for  decent US type housing about $350-$600/monthy. You can live here comfortably for about $800-$900 including everything. Really well for around $1200, a friend who is a little short on money gets by on $550. US 110v electricity, dollar is currency, nice coast towns in the south. Perfect for me. I prefer smaller towns with good weather.

Mongo9421 wrote:

I prefer the mountains and smaller towns. Cotacachi is perfect for me, normally 48 degrees in the morning and usually around 75 in the day with light to  moderate clouds and very low humidity. I wear jeans and a sweatshirt all year. Population around 5,500 people (500 or so gringos), very quiet and peaceful. Good internet, decent US style shopping in Ibarra (1/2 hour bus trip-50 cents), I drink tap water and have not had any problems in 5 years (totally new water system in town)  Rent for  decent US type housing about $350-$600/monthy. You can live here comfortably for about $800-$900 including everything. Really well for around $1200, a friend who is a little short on money gets by on $550. US 110v electricity, dollar is currency, nice coast towns in the south. Perfect for me. I prefer smaller towns with good weather.

5 years experience says a lot

Mary,

I just don't visit forums much. I am too busy with work. In the future, always best to reach me with any time-sensitive questions at [email protected]. However, are you looking to rent that 2 bdrm/2 bath unit or buy. I can give you a quote either way, if I am not already too late.

Hector

HGQ,
Good advice.  How would you compare Salinas to Manta with regard to climate (sunshine, temperature, and humidity) and bugs and safety for Gringos?
Pbuzz

Netbean,
How did you find Salinas? I visited there about 12 months ago and liked it.  Do you have any personal experience in Manta?  I wondered how Salinas would compare to Manta with regard to climate (temperature, humidity and sunshine) and bugs and gringo safety.  Any thoughts?
PBuzz

Gentisle,
Good information.   If you have any first hand experience in Manta, how would you compare La Libertad climate (temperature, humidity and sunshine) to Manta?  And also how do the bugs and gringo safety compare in those two beach communities?
PBuzz99

PBuzz99 wrote:

HGQ,
Good advice.  How would you compare Salinas to Manta with regard to climate (sunshine, temperature, and humidity) and bugs and safety for Gringos?
Pbuzz

Candidly, I would give Salinas the slight edge on bugs...big - and I do mean BIG - edge on safety...and a draw on climate, with Salinas being a tad more dry. Think Vegas by the ocean, without the extreme highs and lows in temperature,

PBuzz99 wrote:

Netbean,
How did you find Salinas? I visited there about 12 months ago and liked it.  Do you have any personal experience in Manta?  I wondered how Salinas would compare to Manta with regard to climate (temperature, humidity and sunshine) and bugs and gringo safety.  Any thoughts?
PBuzz

I have done business in Ecuador for 26 years, in and out, until I moved here permanently 6 years ago. So, I didn't discover Salinas...it discovered me. It has always been the vacation "hot spot" on the coast. Can't be here, in Ecuador, for a nano-second, without someone mentioning it. Visited it for over 20 years...before deciding...yep...that is the place for me to live. Salinas and Manta have nothing in common, other than being on the coast. Manta is Ecuador's answer to Baltimore...while Salinas is a small beach town. I have said this a dozen times, in private client reports, but publicly as well. It always offends the Manta crowd. However, Manta needs to stop wanting to become the "Bigger Salinas" and focus on being what it naturally should be...Ecuador's coastal commercial capitol. Manta makes for a poor tourism spot, but has excellent potential, with the basis in the immense tuna industry money, to be commercial king of the coast. Don't think Florida Keys/Boca Raton...Manta should aspire to bing more Miami, just with a higher concentration of industrial base.

HGQ,
Thank you. I appreciate your factual and to-the-point posts. I'll stay in touch.
PBuzz99

Candidly, I would give Salinas the slight edge on bugs...big - and I do mean BIG - edge on safety...and a draw on climate, with Salinas being a tad more dry.

Are those BIG bugs or a big edge on safety or both ??

CJD wrote:

Candidly, I would give Salinas the slight edge on bugs...big - and I do mean BIG - edge on safety...and a draw on climate, with Salinas being a tad more dry.

Are those BIG bugs or a big edge on safety or both ??

Lol...no, no...we don't have big bugs in Salinas, at all. Edge to Salinas on the bug issue...and a BIG edge to Salinas on safety.

WHEW !!!! :top:

HGQ2112, sorry I don't contact you. I guess I forgot to do it. If I go to Salinas again, I will do.

I stayed at Salinas about a week, as well as Manta, Montanita, I think the weather is not any difference.
Manta is a city, can do anything, more choose; Salinas a little town, 2 streets, more for tourism, a chain mall, and many hostel, hotel, bar, shopping at La Libertad; the third is a village, of surf, bar, etc.

Before I was in Hainan island, Wuzhisan city, south of China, it's the best weather. whole year warm, in the hottest season, it's cool at night & inside house. As it's elevation is 300-600 meter, it's between 10-30C, people don't need A/C, natural a/c here. I visited most of the country, Esmeraldas to Loja, Vilca, Salinas to Puyo, I can't find a place as better as Wuzhisan, I am failed?

Hi, Vinny!
Thanks for your post! i know it was posted in 2012, but assuming you re still active in the expat meet-up groups (per your email), i wondered if you d be kind enough to email me? I m at sofia meyen at hotmail, no periods or dashes or underlines...
We're traveling to Cuenca in about a month, and i d be happy to take you up on your offer to fill me in on who's meeting where, so i can try to get to one of those!  :)

Thanks a lot!  Sofia Meyen

netbean wrote:

HGQ2112, sorry I don't contact you. I guess I forgot to do it. If I go to Salinas again, I will do.

I stayed at Salinas about a week, as well as Manta, Montanita, I think the weather is not any difference.
Manta is a city, can do anything, more choose; Salinas a little town, 2 streets, more for tourism, a chain mall, and many hostel, hotel, bar, shopping at La Libertad; the third is a village, of surf, bar, etc.

Before I was in Hainan island, Wuzhisan city, south of China, it's the best weather. whole year warm, in the hottest season, it's cool at night & inside house. As it's elevation is 300-600 meter, it's between 10-30C, people don't need A/C, natural a/c here. I visited most of the country, Esmeraldas to Loja, Vilca, Salinas to Puyo, I can't find a place as better as Wuzhisan, I am failed?

Hard to say whether you "failed". We didn't get to meet in person. I didn't get to understand your needs...desires. I will say, it will be hard for me to make strong arguments against southern China, since I absolutely love that region of the world, form both a lifestyle and investment perspective. If you come back to Ecuador, let me show you around and have you better sense the real differences...here, internally, as well as relative to southern China.

Thanks, I am here, still looking for. Found online some places in the middle of country, close to the mountain, not too high, not too hot: La Maná(Cotopaxi), Caluma(Bolívar), Montalvo(Los Ríos) and Cumanda(Chimborazo). Do you know them?

netbean wrote:

Thanks, I am here, still looking for. Found online some places in the middle of country, close to the mountain, not too high, not too hot: La Maná(Cotopaxi), Caluma(Bolívar), Montalvo(Los Ríos) and Cumanda(Chimborazo). Do you know them?

Can you call me Tuesday, at 09XXX. I can help from there. Or post a number, local or international, where I can reach you.

HGQ2112 wrote:

Can you call me Tuesday, at 09XXXXXXXXX. I can help from there. Or post a number, local or international, where I can reach you.

Fellas, please use PM's and not the Ecuador forum to post personal phone numbers or personal information.

cccmedia wrote:
HGQ2112 wrote:

Can you call me Tuesday, at 09XXXXXXXXX. I can help from there. Or post a number, local or international, where I can reach you.

Fellas, please use PM's and not the Ecuador forum to post personal phone numbers or personal information.

Understood.

HGQ2112 wrote:
netbean wrote:

Can you call me Tuesday, at 0985229631. I can help from there. Or post a number, local or international, where I can reach you.

NetBean, can you give me some kind of budget that you are working with? Trying to help without violating forum rules.

Hi, HGQ2112, I add you phone number, it is not connect with whatsapp?
I am not retired. I hope to live like locals, at their salary, that would be fine.

No...I have so many apps...never adopted Whatsup. Here is worse. I just had my first break from this business trip and I am headed in search of a charger for my cell phone. "Genius", here, forgot his charger back on the coast. I am currently in Quito...with a cell phone down to one bar. Not good.

Fine, no problem. Talk later

Mongo,
Since you have experience living in Cotacachi, I have some questions for you.  Is it possible to buy a small house outside of Cotacachi on a couple of acres (5 or so) for 100K or 125K?  I definitely am not interested in living in any of the gated communities shown on Enright's real estate website.  I don't want to have to sign up to pay HOA/maintenance/security/landscaping/mowing fees every month.  Also, is it possible to live without dangerous gas?  In other words, is it possible to purchase appliances that only run on electricity, not gas?  What does a person do for heat at night?  Is it possible to purchase space heaters for the cool 50 degree nights?  Do any of the apartments or homes have real, wood-burning fireplaces, instead of the decorative ones?  Is it possible to purchase one of those window air conditioners, for the days when the temperatures may exceed 75/80 degrees, or does it never get any hotter than 70 degrees?  How long did it take you to get used to the altitude in Cotacachi?  Sorry I have so many questions, but I would really, really like to retire to the countryside outside the town of Cotacachi, but don't know if I will be able to find an affordable house there.  Judging from Enright's real estate website, it looks like the wealthy expats have really driven the house prices way, way up, as high as and higher than they are in the U.S.  Is there anywhere I could go online to find houses and land for sale by owner, instead of by a real estate broker/agent?  Any help you can give me regarding these questions will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much.  I wish you great health, much happiness and good luck during your retirement in Cotacachi.  Thanks again, [email protected]

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

Mongo...Is it possible to live without dangerous gas?...What does a person do for heat at night?

Welcome to Expat.com's Ecuador Forum, Granuaile O'Malley of South Florida.

Mr. Mongo posted on this forum several times last January and may have moved on, so I'll respond to some of your questions from Quito, which is about 90 miles from Cotacachi and has similar weather.  Cotacachi is at about 8,000 feet altitude, Quito at 9,350 so Quito is a few degrees cooler (Fahrenheit) during the day.  Nighttime lows are virtually the same.

We'll come back to some issues about purchasing real estate.

First, though, you wanted to know if you can live without dangerous gas.  You can.

I have lived here for two years and specifically have made sure to use electrical appliances only.  Like many Ecuadorians, I do not have a stove.  Instead, I cook using a George Foreman type grill, easily available in Ecuador, and a two-unit countertop cooking station -- also electrical.  Non-gas stoves, including induction stoves, are widely available, too, as are micro-wave units.

There will probably be no need for you to deal with air conditioning or a fireplace.  The weather in northern Ecuador's highlands is wonderfully mild.

Yes, space heaters can be used.  I have two small ones for a one-bedroom apartment.  But I can't remember when was the last time I used one.  I have a superior-quality curtain in the bedroom and this provides all the insulation needed for 48-50 degree (F.) nights.

A small room fan, maybe two, would be more than sufficient to cool most homes.  Just opening some windows may provide enough of a breeze many days.

On to real estate and altitude next.

cccmedia, condo apartment owner in Quito since mid 2013

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

I don't want to have to sign up to pay HOA/maintenance/security/landscaping/mowing fees every month....How long did it take you to get used to the altitude in Cotacachi?....I don't know if I will be able to find an affordable house there.  Judging from Enright's real estate website, it looks like the wealthy expats have really driven the house prices way, way up, as high as and higher than they are in the U.S.  Is there anywhere I could go online to find houses and land for sale by owner, instead of by a real estate broker/agent?

Once you get used to Ecuador pricing, you won't be so concerned about "HOA/Maintenance/Security/Landscaping."  I get all that (although there's no mowing at my condo complex) for $29.25 per month.  I voluntarily pay three months in advance four times a year and that's that.

Your real-estate picture of what's available in Cotacachi may be skewed by what you found at some fancy Expat-oriented website.  You can deal directly with owners and will probably find a completely different price range.

HOWEVER.......

Consider not buying right away.

Coming from south Florida, are you 100 percent certain that both you and your partner will be able to adjust successfully at 8,000-foot altitude?   That's thousands of feet higher than Denver, the mile-high city.

Are you certain you'll find Cotacachi just right for the both of you?

My point is:  observe the #1 rule for newly-arriving Expats in Ecuador....

Don't buy or build on any property in Ecuador before you have lived in the target area for at least one year.

As you may or may not know, there are residency-visa requirements for year-round residents in Ecuador.  Let us know if you need guidance about that.

cccmedia in Quito

Mongo9421,

Thank you for your informative post.
Since you like Cotacachi (which is where I would like to retire to) and since you have been there for at least five years, I'd like to ask you about what the locals and the expats do for entertainment.  Is there a movie theater there; are there any restaurants or pubs where live music can be heard; how often is there a festival/fiesta; are there ever any concerts, or other cultural events?  Please tell me what you and the other expats do for entertainment in Cotacachi, or in nearby locations.
Thank you,
GranuaileOMalley

cccmedia,  Thank you so very much for replying to my many questions.  No, I am not sure at all as to whether or not I will be able to handle the altitude.  Right now, I live in South Florida, which is not very much above sea level in most places.  I hate the climate (I originally came from a northern U.S. state) as it is way, way too hot for me.  We have temperatures in the high 80's and 90's during the spring and summer and with the extremely high humidity, I just can't stand it.
Of course, I had planned to live in Ecuador for at least six months prior to making a decision about buying any property, but your suggestion of a year sounds more sensible.  I would want to know for sure, whether or not I would be happy there.  The high amount of petty crime I read about is understandable due to unemployment problems, but it is kind of scary to think about being a single woman living alone, with so much crime, and not being able to go anywhere alone after dark.  Is it possible to purchase an alarm system and have it installed in a private home in Ecuador?  If it is possible to have a residential alarm in Ecuador, does the alarm system send a signal to the police station and will the police respond?
I would not be moving to Ecuador with a significant other, as my husband (who is sixteen years older than I am) has a terminal illness and he refuses to relocate.  I'm sure the altitude would be a huge problem for him.
Should I be able to relocate in a few years, I will not have a problem with reading, writing and speaking Spanish, so that's one less worry.
I hear there is a population of approximately 500 expats in Cotacachi and I'd like to find out if they have an organization/club/group that gets together for meetings and social events from time to time.  I imagine there is a much larger population of expats in Quito, but it is just too large of a city for me and I read (on a blog) that it has too much diesel pollution.
I most certainly would have to find out whether or not the altitude would bother me.  The highest altitude I have ever experienced was only approximately 3,500 feet.  It did not bother me in the least, but of course the altitude in Cotacachi would be more than double what I have experienced before.
Initially, I believe the best thing for me to do would be to go to Cotacachi and try to spend a couple of weeks there (at the 8,000 feet altitude) to see how I react to it.  If I have any adverse effects, then I would have to find out about somewhere else at a lower altitude, but I know for sure I do not want to live anywhere near the coast, as it would be a lot hotter and probably a lot more expensive.
Thank you for answering so many of my questions.  You are so helpful and it is much appreciated.

cccmedia in Quito,

Yes, I sure do want to find out about what the government requirements are for living in Ecuador year-round.  I also need to know what the requirements would be for living there for a "trial year".  According to International Living, a person needs an attorney to do the paperwork, but is that really true?  Is it possible for a person to apply on their own for the proper documents, etc?  If so, I'd rather save the money it would cost to pay an attorney and put it to better use.

Does a person have to apply for and obtain the Visa prior to moving to Ecuador, or can it be done after arriving there?  Also, what documents are required in order to qualify for a Visa?  How often do you have to renew your visa; do you have to go to Quito to do so; and how much does it cost?  The only thing I know, from what I've read, is that a person is required to either submit a letter from Social Security, stating that they receive at least $800.00 per month in income, or they have to invest a specific amount (I think it was $25,000.00) in property.  Is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help in answering so many questions.  I appreciate it so much.  Take care, Granuaile

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

The high amount of petty crime I read about is understandable due to unemployment problems, but it is kind of scary to think about being a single woman living alone, with so much crime, and not being able to go anywhere alone after dark....If it is possible to have a residential alarm in Ecuador, does the alarm system send a signal to the police station and will the police respond?

If you want to avoid gated communities and also have optimal security, Granuaile, Ecuador is a questionable choice.  I suggest that you re-think your stance against a gated community.

Yes, you can put in a sophisticated alarm system, but even if someone told you it would alert the police, I wouldn't believe they'd arrive in the nick 'o time in case of some problem.

Better solutions include secured windows and doors, specifically at night, and choosing a safe neighborhood to begin with, with 24-hour security.

I have round-the-clock guard service at my condo, and I'm glad for it.  My unit is on the third floor and, barring an inside job, nobody's likely to come up here through the complex's maze to bother me.  Pardon my directness, but IMO the reason you gave for not wanting to be in an HOA is not sufficient.  Your need for security trumps that reason.

cccmedia in Quito

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

I imagine there is a much larger population of expats in Quito, but it is just too large of a city for me and I read (on a blog) that it has too much diesel pollution....I know for sure I do not want to live anywhere near the coast, as it would be a lot hotter...

If I had to exit Quito-proper because of the pollution, I think I might move to Pakakuna Gardens, the largest private botanical gardens in Ecuador, about 40 minutes from the city and 15 minutes from the new Quito airport.

There's a big residential build-up going on there, and apparently some of the smaller homes there are in the 100K range you asked about earlier.

For Ecuador, this amazing place of gardens and beauty (google it and you'll be amazed at what you're looking at) is basically diesel-pollution free.  Medical facilities on site.  Activities for the residents.  Outdoor heated swimming pool.  Daily highs about 79 to 80 year-round.  Security is not an issue;  you don't have to worry if the police will arrive in the nick.

Other places to consider:  the popular suburbs of Quito such as Cumandá and Tumbaco... and Cuenca and vicinity.

I have my doubts as to whether there will be enough Expat events in little Cotacachi to suit your needs.

cccmedia in Quito

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

cccmedia in Quito...Yes, I sure do want to find out about what the government requirements are for living in Ecuador year-round.  I also need to know what the requirements would be for living there for a "trial year".

We'll get to the year-round residency requirements you asked about shortly, Granuaile. 

First, I want to address your interest in a "trial year" in Ecuador.

I've got nine months for you.  Think it over and see if that's enough time for that visit.

You arrive at UIO and get the customary 90-day T-3 tourist stamp granted to residents of the USA and Canada.  Then, in Ecuador, you apply for a 180-day non-immigrant visa extension, which is customarily granted as well.

Voila, almost nine months!

You'll exit Ecuador after that, but can get another 90-day tourist stamp 365 days after the first one was granted.

There's no charge and no fancy application needed for those tourist stamps, by the way.

cccmedia in Quito

GranuaileOMalley wrote:

According to International Living, a person needs an attorney to do the paperwork, but is that really true?  Is it possible for a person to apply on their own for the proper documents, etc?  If so, I'd rather save the money it would cost to pay an attorney and put it to better use.

When the time comes to apply for a permanent-residency visa, you can theoretically do so on your own without professional assistance, and there are posters on this blog who will recommend you do so.

But those posters don't know whether you're among the 8 percent of Expat applicants who can actually navigate the complex EC bureaucracy and obtain the visa without encountering mental and/or emotional duress.

When I got to Ecuador two years ago I had plenty to do to take possession of my condo, furnish it, learn the ropes in my neighborhood and plenty more.  I sure didn't want to go it alone in dealing with the ministry or Cancillería.  My attorney took care of everything, including obtaining the cédula ID, and I just went along for the ride.  Due to a U.S. State Department foul-up, I came close to running out of time to submit the visa ap, but my attorney saved the day.

Actually, you can get assistance for less than what an attorney charges.  There are visa facilitators who would be glad to do the job for a lesser fee.  Of course, lesser fee can mean lesser services.

IMO, there is no "better use" of said money than for the peace of mind available with an experienced immigration attorney in Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito