Moving to Johannesburg - a few questions :-)

Hi everyone,

I am a 28 years old female from Europe and planning to move to Johannesburg. I have already lived in Cape Town for a year. I have a Job offer of 22000 Rand gross and would like to know if it is enough for  living in Joburg. I will leave in a shared flat for the first few months and would like to rent a 1-bedroom apartment for my own later on. I have calculated about 6000 ZAR for an unfurnished 1-bedroom apartment in a secure area. I am really worry about the traffic. I will work in Sandton and have read that the traffic from/to Lonehill/Paulshof/Fourways - Sandton can be horrible. So I thought about: Morningside, Rivonia, Blairgowrie or Ferndale. Illovo and Rosebank is quite  expensive. Can anyone recommend other safe areas which are affordable, safe and close to Sandton? I will buy a second hand car once I am there but I don´t want to stuck in traffic for hours every day. I have already downloaded the TomTom live traffic ap with GPS. This GPS tries to avoid traffic jams. But I am not sure if it works well.

Can anyone please help?

Thank´s a lot

Best regards

Betti

@betty1986

Please read through the many informative posts on the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page. For accommodation check out the housing section in the green banner at the top of this page.

i want to get a study permit in South Africa anyone can help...im currently staying here ..

Hey Betty,

I hope your project is running well.

R22000 for one person is definitely enough to live here in Johannesburg.
I was living in Fourways for a while and the traffic on this side is terrific at working hours.
If you are looking for a small flat into a complex, you will find a lot of offers, don't worry.
One bedroom places are not quiet expensive.

To avoid the traffic, even in the peak hours, I use WAZE, this application changed my driving life and works perfectly.

Good luck !!!

Franck

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is not allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory, thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct