Can you tell me if we are making a good choice with the city?

Hello!
My husband and I want to move to Ottawa, I was researching about Ontario and the city of Ottawa and found out amazing things. We are from Tijuana, Mexico my husband is a web developer and I am a graphic designer, I want to know if any of you can tell me if we are making a good choice with the city, if there's anything we need to know? We are both turning 30 in weeks and we don't have children. We are planning to do the papers for visa express entry. Thank you for your attention. (:

The only thing you'll regret about your choice of Ottawa is the fact that it gets very cold in the winter months. You'll be able to resolve that by buying lots of warm clothing, several layers are best for keeping warm as opposed to one layer of heavier clothing. Other than that you'll love Ottawa, it is a beautiful city with lots of conveniences. There are lots of activities to keep you occupied both winter and summer. The city has a number of interesting museums, etc. Ottawa is an exceptionally clean and modern city, yet still retains many of the heritage building from the era when it was known as Bytown and the fledgling country was called Upper Canada.

The surrounding countryside is very peaceful rural area where you can relax. It's also close enough to the city if you want a more relaxed lifestyle and don't mind commuting into the city to work. Also, the rents and real estate prices will be slightly lower there than in the city.

Ottawa is also centrally located between Toronto and Montreal (and Quebec City) so you can easily travel to those cities to enjoy lots of cultural and artistic events should you choose to.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James!

Thank you very much for your reply!  And where I live it's very warm... I know that it will be difficult at first for us to adjust to the weather, but despite that, I'm very positive about it, I love cold weather and I've never seen snow, I'm like a little kid desperately counting the days left for going to Disneyland! I read that the temperature goes at least -18 C in Ottawa.

We want to do the papers for the visa as soon as possible, but we are kinda worried that if we go and we don't have any money at least for 2 months we are going to regret it. I don't know if finding a job when we get there will be fast or slow, but  I guess if we don't try it we'll never know!

@Jeanette, -18 is just tip of the iceberg. Don't forget the wind also drags down the temperature. So it may register as -18 but it feels like -25 or lesser. Not to frighten you but that's the truth about up north here.

Anyhow, I love Ottawa and have plans to relocate to there from Halifax in the next 3 years. I agree with James. It is conveniently located between Toronto and Montreal, so you get to go there for short days trips / weekend trips if you feel bored with Ottawa. But Ottawa itself has lots to offer.

All the best in your endeavour.

Hi Jeanette Rodriguez,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Canada forum, here the members will be able to see more clearly your questions. :)

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hey Philipyeo, yeah you're right! Montreal and Toronto, I love that just across the bridge is Quebec! I want to learn french too and for me it's the perfect location to do that. :) I also read a lot of people saying that Ottawa is boring because it has no night life, but I'm introvert so... I don't like that so much, it's even more perfect!

Halifax sounds more colder hehe, from the photos I searched it looks really beautiful!

Thank you!

@Jeanette, It may sound colder but it is not actually. Its the opposite that is true. The fact that it is closer to the ocean raises the temperature a little. Which is why there's actually more ice here as it usually snows, then melts (as temp rises) and then flash freeze. Ottawa, being more inland, doesn't have that but it is indeed colder. Why is it that people skate on the Rideau Canal? Because its gotta be a consistently cold for a long period of days to get the water to freeze. On the other hand, Halifax is more isolated that Ottawa. It doesn't have the convenience of being closer to larger cities like Toronto or Montreal. But has all the perks of being a mid sized city. The major city to Halifax is Portland, ME (in the states) which is about 8 hrs drive.

The altitude has everything to do with it in why Ottawa is colder than Halifax you're definitely right! I hope someday I can skate in the canal, I'm counting the days!

Ottawa is a beautiful city with much to offer. It's a good size, neither too large, nor too small, property values are relatively affordable and as Philip stated, you can travel to Toronto, or even Montreal and Quebec City for a get away.

As to the cold; it's is a very relative thing. I'm currently in Cuenca, Ecuador and walk around in  short shirt sleeves most of the time, while the locals are bundled up in polar fleece, scarves and boots. Cold days can be amazingly beautiful when the sun is out and the wind is slow or not blowing at all. What you have to plan for is the possibility of commuting in cold weather, which might mean taking the bus or learning to drive in snowy, icy conditions. (There is a definite skill to this, which many people never master.)

There are very few cities in Canada where you won't meet some sort of frigid winter temperatures and the ones that don't have a traditional winter are very expensive. I think you'll like Ottawa, if you can embrace the winter. Good luck

Good place for sure, Ottawa is the capital city. The parliament is one of the tourist attraction, also Multicultural place. Work is not an issue, companies are always looking for extra ordinary people who are fit in the business, however competition  are always there. Experience will separate you from the crowd, and that's what most companies are looking for. Good luck to your future endeavour.

PEI Red I think I'll be looking for some tips for cold weather, I read that it is very common to have trouble with the pipes and a lot of that kind of discomforts.

Oh! and I already like Ottawa even if I'm not there yet, I think I'm in love. My country also has so many beautiful places... but It's so disappointing what's happening over here, I think my husband and I will be starting the paperwork  next month for the visa express, I hope!

Thank you AnnabellJandoc! The thing is to never give up! I'm very confident with our experience and work (my husband and I)  I'm not scared of  a little bit of competition, I think hehe.  Thank you for the good luck wishes! (:

We all need to try, otherwise we don't have idea. Others can,  you can do it too.  Smart person like you will go Far. One day, you will see yourself ahead. You are young, lots of very good opportunities.

@Jeanette, people in your space will thrive. Now's the right time to be in it. Apart from rebuilding your new customer base, I am sure it will catch on pretty fast. Importing thing to note is - business in Canada is very much referral base, so its important to maintain a good customer relationship so that they put in the good word for you and that'll help generate new business as well. All the best!

Philipyeo, thank you for your advice I appreciate it. I'll definitely put it into practice. (:

Thank you very much for your words AnnabellJandoc (: It gives me more courage to follow my dream! I hope I'm not being nosy, but I would like to ask you how did you got to Canada :) Visa paperwork or any job offer?

@Jeanette,

I just posted in another thread earlier about using some of the services available for landed immigrants or any networking organizations. One such is a connector program. Apparently there seem to have one in Ottawa too.

Goto this link and find Ottawa
http://www.greaterhalifax.com/en/home/o … ities.aspx

A connector program is a program that helps connect locals (who are well connected in their own right or field) with a landed immigrant who's looking to establish themselves there for the first time.

My spouse used this program here in Halifax as a mentee but she did get a job through another network. I on the other hand went through a networking event organized by GreaterHalifax Partnership that eventually led me to my current employer.

Philipyeo, wow that's great!! It's without a doubt a valuable tool, thank you for sharing It will be very useful for me.
It was very clear  the explanation you gave me thanks again! (:

Great Choice!
Hope you are happy there!

Dont move on an election year....   the competition for buying selling is HUGE!

Welcome to Canada!

David Pylyp

Good point!

Thank you for the tip David! (:

My husband and I are just few steps away for creating our CIC profile for the visa express! First we have to take a IELTS test (we are on it) and then we have to process our credentials and documents to Canadian standards...  It will take longer than we thought... but we are not getting our hopes down (: We are absolutely excited to begin with this journey! And thank you all for your words and encouragement! I appreciate it. (:

I have one question! Does anyone knows where can I process my documentation for canadian standards? I am searching and searching but  I don't understand if I can do the paperwork in my city (Tijuana, Mexico) or do I have to send my credentials to Canada for the translation or what? :( I'm lost in this part.

@Jeanette, check out this site http://www.wes.org

This is where CIC recommends would be immigrants to get their education docs evaluated. If I am not mistaken it is CAD$200 / person

Thank you very much Philipyeo that is super helpful! I will read everything that is on the website so I do not miss anything! (: !

No prob...