Would i be able to Skype from an internet cafe in belize to US

Thats a long subject title. Ive read a little about this on other posts but can never come up with a  clear answer. I want to be able to call my fam back in the states via skype ,leaching off wifi from an internet cafe of hotel/hostel that has wifi.Also ,I wonder ,if this is possible, could i then make landline calls locally in belize as well.If not I wonder if someone could point me in the direction of a phone i could purchase for the month i am there that could do international calling .Trying to do this in a cost effective manner .Im all about the cheap route...In most thingslol..  Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. Be well! ;)
scot

Probably the reason you didn't get a clear answer is that they used to block skype in belize in favor of the telephone company making more money.  This has changed, and now you can use skype.

If in san ignacio as you said in another post, go to Greedy's on Burns Avenue -- they have the fastest connection -- order a happy hour rum.  A lot of people make this their home base -- you will meet people.

Greedy's facebook  .facebook.com/events/501065709968630/

SInce April 2013, you are able to use all of the various VoIP systems for phone calls. Belize's BTL no longer blocks those devices.
I am using a Vonage system for international calls - people phone me on a Canadian number and it rings here in Corozal.  I have heard that some people here like the Magic Jack, which is more portable than the vonage system. Its just a plug that goes into your computer or wall.

Skype also works well.

If you are  getting a Vonage or Magic Jack system, then buy it in Canada or the US and bring it with you. I have not seen them available here.

There are plenty of internet access places in Corozal like Blue PC on 4th. These systems should work in hotels as well.
If you are renting a private home, just check to make sure that the bandwidth is fast enough for voice chat, you need a minimum of 1Mbps preferably with a DSL connection to plug into- slower speeds don't work well, you get dropped calls, you hear them - they can't hear you etc.
Many rental homes here (advertise high speed) only have 512Kbps which is too slow for either Skype or other VoIP. So make sure you ask before you rent.

Thanks Nichi.I have def heard of magic jack and will check it out as well as Vonage. Your reply is much appreciated! :cheers:
Mr greedys pizzaria looks fun. I wonder if its like an open mic. Maybe i should bring my Guitar :top:

Actually there is another great place for  open mike.  Belize soul project, up the hill from the police station.

facebook.com/SoulProjectSpaceForTheCreativeArts

Whoa, that place seems awesome . I will definitely be stopping by to check it out.

Thanks for info about Skype and Magic Jack. This will come in handy when we move to Corozal in June.

Thanks for the very helpful info Nichi. Its the stuff you need to know before you move over there.

Hi. I use FaceTime to view/talk to everyone back home(US) the restaurants have wifi. Also I pay for instant messaging for my cell phone. Super cheap

Hello GrammyG :)

Even if this thread is a couple years old, complementary information such as your post are always most welcome. :top:

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

We just bought an unlocked phone and are heading to Belize with it.  We are using Skype and Google Voice and it is working great here in the states.  In fact I am wishing I had thought of this years ago to avoid all the headache and payments to Verizon and T-Mobile.  The only restriction is that you have to have an internet connect with speed that can manage voice.  Other than that - this is the way to go even if you are not moving to Belize.

Thanks to others for posting good information here.  This has potential to be an expensive scenario, but does not need to be.