Top 5 tips to live in Brazil

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Brazil.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Brazil?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Brazil!

Thank you in advance :)

First and most important tip is to learn at least a bit of Portuguese before you get here. Many people simply assume that like all the other South American countries, Brazilians speak Spanish.... they don't! Portuguese is the language here and you won't find much English spoken here. You might be able to get by if you speak Spanish, there are probably more people here that would understand you in Spanish than in English for sure.

Brazilians are "kissy-huggy" by nature so leave your sense of personal space at home. You should hug the women you meet and kiss them once on both cheeks. (They tell me that 3 kisses, right, left, right you should be proposing marriage LOL so keep it at just the two). When men greet each other a handshake is customary. Men who know each other will hug and pat each other on the back.

DO NOT drink tap water anywhere in Brazil, stick to bottled or filtered water. Don't take ice in your drinks unless you ask if it has been made with bottled or filtered water.

Brazilians do everything at their own pace and their own time. If you arrange to have a Brazilian meet you at a specific time don't get upset if they show up anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour late, that's just the way they are.

Brazilians are warm and friendly, they love us "gringos" and to them that's anybody who isn't from Brazil. They'll all want to know you and be around you (status thing), but be very selective of who you choose as a friend. Treat everybody with respect and be friendly, but remember a FRIEND is somebody you've known for a while.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

As we are preparing to move back to Brazil my wife has the fortune of working while I (retired) began the detailed work of deciding what would be thrown/given away, what would be sent with the movers to Brazil and what would go to a temporary apartment until our move in June 2015.  One thing to know about the Brazil is the electrical grid can be challenging to any expat who have not ever lived in Brazil before.
1)  Electricity in the south of the country is 220v.  Sao Paulo is roughly 120v-127v.  The north of the country is 220v.  look at the electrical appliances that that you plan to keep and use in Brazil and decide if they will run on the voltage set for the part of the country that you will be moving to.  If you find that it doesn't then there are options.  Purchasing a voltage converter is one answer and a good converter that will step down and/or step up the voltage will run about US $130.00.  The other option is to buy new items in Brazil and this could be very expensive.
2)  Use of Voltage converters.  If you are somewhat electrically challenged, as I am, then be sure that when purchasing a voltage converter that you understand that each class of voltage converter is defined not only by it's quality of parts (and warranty)  but also by the rating of Watts that the converter can handle.  This means that you must look at your electrical devices and verify how many Watts that device will require.  Ensure that if you need a voltage converter that you buy one that is rated not only for your device but that the converter can also run several devices at the same time.  In other words, if you purchase a converter rated at 1000 watts and your vacuum cleaner requires 1300 Watts, then the converter will not be able to run the device.
3)  Low tech devices.  The Brazilian electrical grid is not highly reliable.  Drought and a lack of having a solid electrical infra-structure grid does result in "Brown-Outs" and sometimes temporary loss of electrical power for up to several hours.  I found that the battery powered candles are excellent for giving dependable lighting at night when those times occur that power is out.

Hi Gotcha184,

While some people do opt for bringing electrical appliances such as stoves, fridges, washers to Brazil (at least if their employers are paying the shot), this can actually be very risky business. While the appliances my be approved by agencies like UL, CSA, and others abroad if they are not approved by INMETRO here in Brazil they can respresent a serious legal liability.

This is especially true for anyone who lives in a condominium complex, apartment or other rental property. Should you have a fire that is traced back to the appliance which is not approved you could be facing enormous costs if you don't have adequate insurance which includes third party liability.

Actually, appliances are not all that expensive here in Brazil, and they can be very cheap in the periods when the government reduces the IPI tax in order to stimulate sales. Personally I don't think it's worth the headaches involved in bringing those kind of things to Brazil.

You can pick up a brand name 4 burner gas stove (with oven) and automatic ignition for around R$800, A good quality refrigerator will run you around R$1200, washing machine with digital controls R$1000, clothes dryers are not popular here and neither are electric stoves. Air conditioners run around R$1000 and up depending on what you want. You can easily furnish a house with all new stuff for about the same price as it's going to cost for a shipping container to come to Brazil and you don't run the risk of everything being tied up in customs.

Cheers,

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

James, Actually I'm thinking about TV's, stereos, sound systems and all things electronic that are expensive to buy once you arrive in Brazil.  for instance, I don't want to give up my vacuum cleaner (good for picking up all that sand that blows into the house), or my Bose sound system or my new Samsung 4K 55" TV which are very expensive in Brazil.  Stoves, Refrigerators, washer & dryers are those basic items sold in Brazil that are not overly expensive and fortunately I have most of those things already in place in Pipa. We will have to make that purchase of washer/dryer and air*conditioner once we arrive.  I'd love to bring my own car but I  already know that won't happen.  I have serious concerns about the quality and safety standards of Brazilian made cars (1/2 the number of body welds present compared to US/EU vehicles) and unfortunately, Brazilian law makers are not concerned enough about the number of highway traffic deaths to do something about it.  Thanks for the info on the bigger appliance items like the washer and dryer.

Yes, bringing a car to Brazil is absolutely impossible unless it's a Classic. Even then the bureaucracy makes it such a daunting task as to make it more than the average car lover could stand.

I agree with you about the appalling lack of safety standards for Brazilian (and Mercosul) made cars, they wouldn't be allowed on the road in North America that's for sure. I guess that's why the well heeled Brazilians are so fond of the very expensive, but much safer, imported cars.

James, what is your experience on buying property over there? And I remember the last time I was in Rio and made my mind up to work towards possibly moving there hearing from another American ex pat that the car importing rule was like 25 year old cars and older correct? I will just cop a motorcycle since that's what I mainly ride here in the U.S.

As far as I'm aware your US Driver's license will only allow you to drive a regular passenger car here, even if you hold a motorcycle classification.

If you are in Brazil for more than 180 days you must have a Brazilian Carteira de Habilitação (CNH) and you can trade your US license in so you don't have to go through the whole hassle of driving school, tests, etc. You will have to take the medical, vision and psychological exams like everyone does though. That will give you your license to drive a car. Regarding your motorcycle rating I believe you'll have to contact a motorcycle school and go through them to get your rating.

Buying property here is relatively simple for expats, but there are a lot of pitfalls. See the following topic threads for more information.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128140https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=455369

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Detran in Vitoria ES issued me (A) motorcycle and (B) vehicle not to exceed 8 passengers not counting driver. The following link is interesting.

http://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/ty … -in-brazil

Hello all

we are getting off topic here, if you are sharing other infos besides the Top 5 tips for future expatriates, it would be best to Create a New thread so that members can easily find the information later on.

We get back on topic now please?

Thanks

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

prhhh...haha unreliable electic grid......I'm guessing you've never lived in South Africa , where we have rolling blacks sometimes for a week at a time 2 - four hours per day on a schedule lol
anyhow at least our power is a stable 220v here

Ok brings we to my next Question , when I move their I'm getting rid most of my stuff before coming , just easier, except my beloved imac(desktop)....how does plugging a mac in in sao paulo work , mac books were fine , did the voltage conversion internally in the supply , but I'm guessing I'll need a downstep converter....or not?

I want to need to bring my imac , my work horse machine , it's a European style 220V
is this legal ? My wifes sister works for apple in marketing position there , have connections to maybe have it converted ?

Yes, it's legal. You may have to find a plug adapter to convert the existing power plug to the Brazilian standard wall sockets, but the can be picked up in most electronics component stores anywhere in Brazil.

In most large cities you're also going to find Apple Stores so you can check with them to inquire about your warranty coverage here in Brazil.

Cheers,

My greatest asset here in Brazil is my laptop.  I am able to use it as my telephone, home town newspaper, banking and this blog.  I don"t think that I would last long here without it.  Skype is the greatest thing on the laptop.

Ok expats and Brazilian experts...............I am relocating to an area near Natal, Brazil in July.  We will be flying in from Miami to Recife direct.  Can anyone offer any advice and links to information about bringing in a small 14 lbs dog into the country.  Specifically the following questions have come up during my  research:

1)  I want to use a pet travel service from the USA to take care of all required paperwork.  Some of these companies are stating that pets can only be flown (in cargo or in the cabin) to Rio or Sao Paulo in order to enter the country and NOT Recife.

2)  Same companies are stating that custom import fees for my pet to the Brazilian custom/veterinarian agents range from US $1,500 to $2,000.00.   

Subsequently I getting quotes to ship my pet that range from $4,000.00 US to $5,500.  I have already bought my tickets on American Airlines and they will only take my pet in cargo if the temps range between 42 a and 85 degrees.  In July the temp regulations could be dicey but doable.  But information given by these pet travel companies place limitations on what I can do and what airports the pets are allowed to fly into and that is driving up the cost.  The ticket for cargo on American for my pet is only $200.00.  I have asked the Brazilian Consulate in Houston, Texas about these 2 specific questions and naturally I got the standard links to basic paperwork required and nothing  else.

If your dog could qualify as a service animal it could in the cabin with you and there is no charge from the airline or the country of brazil unless things have in the last three years.

Hi everybody,

Please note that this thread has been created in order to give the opportunity to the expatriates to share their 5 best tips to live in Brazil to those who are looking for some information on Brazil.

Can we please avoid going off topic here? Or otherwise we might be compelled to remove some off topic posts.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: