Info about container to move to Egypt please,

My wife and kids are moving to Egypt and we need info on how to move furniture from NYC to Cairo, How much and how long will it take., Is it simple?

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you
regards,,, :)

Hi Adam4449,

You might want to contact our moving partner for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/movers/africa/egypt/ , they are more qualified to reply to all your questions concerning the cost.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

It is definitely not simple!  Or cheap.  I don't know about the transit time from the US to here, but once in port in Egypt, your container can sit for weeks waiting to be opened. (And you can be charged "storage fees" during this time.)  It will have to be inspected.  We had every single box opened, items removed, and not repacked - they were thrown loose in the truck.  All our CDs and DVDs were removed from their cases for inspection and returned to us piled together in a plastic bag.  Most people report having items stolen. We did not, but we didn't include any high-theft items.  Taxes are charged as a percentage of the value of your goods.  The Egyptian authorities decide the value.  I think the taxes range from 10% to 40% depending on what type of goods.  (If you're thinking it could cost more than buying new furniture here, you're probably right.)  Make sure you have a good clearing agent to negotiate all this for you.  You also must have some type of visa other than an entry visa.  You can either look at it as a giant headache or a giant adventure.  Keep telling yourself its an adventure - and it is!

OMG!  I was thinking of shipping some personal house goods from Australia, but after reading yor message I think I will not

Allied Pickfords is very good international moving company and they pack everything securely and ship door-to-door any belongings you may have.

Thanks Diana I will send them an email

Thanks Diana I will check them out.  Lynne

20 foot container is about $3,000 bring every thing with you it is a lot cheaper than buying new in Egypt.

Thank you , it makes sense to bring everything with me from the U.S., but I hear it's really hard to to do and you will receive almost everything broken. Have you had a good experience ? And do you miss Virginia ?  :cool:

I moved to Egypt 10 years ago so did my son with his wife and 4 children,4 years ago we are very happy here
we brought all our furniture with us not a single thing was broken , good luck to you.

There are two ways: or you hire a moving company who do the job for you and it cost you a fortune or you can do it by yourself (except the shipping of course) and save a lot of money.

We did by our self and you I can give you some tips:

1) use good boxes ( we didn't buy these boxes but used banana boxes because they are free and very sturdy, but you have to collect them)
2) make sure that everything is packed very well and full up the empty spaces in the boxes with newspapers
3) use "bubble foil" for fragile items
4) dismantle as much as possible furniture, it saves space in the container which you can use for others things you like to bring which are is not easy to get
5) secure now and then your goods in the container by using tropes to avoid moving of your boxes and furniture.

Hope this helps you. If you still have questions, let us know.

Thanks so much. Good luck to you and your family as well. I was so nervous about moving to Egypt but now I can say I feel comfortable and should not pay attention to the media.

Thanks again
Regards

Thanks so much primafonna for all the useful info.

Best regards.