Any Feedback on living in Cerro Azul needed.

Hello, I been looking for a place to live in Panama and I'm interested in a City type pf place but not a big City like Panama City. Was told to looking into Cerro Azul so if you live or have visited Cerro Azul can you please give me some kind of feedback on this town or city. Anything would be helpful. Thank you.

Hi and welcome on the forum Vincep34 :)

I hope other members living in the region will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hello,
I recently got back from Panama and I visited Cerro Azul because International Living said it was one of the places close to Panama City where property was affordable and could be up and coming. What I found was: it isn't a city, it is kind of subdivision that is in a pretty setting on a hill but the neighborhood seems to be declining. The city is locating a lot of low income housing in the area and the other people are moving out. I was very disappointed.
Hope that helps
Anne Michelle

Hello Charlotte,
I live in Panama with my Panamanian wife and our daughter 13.
It's beautiful up there. I was there a few years ago. At that time, there were a lot of cute homes there but no one actually seemed to live there. They were just weekend homes.
I have heard that this has changed but haven't been there lately.
It is about an hour from town, although less distant from Tocumen, where you may be able to find a grocery store and other amenities.
Good luck!
Don

What does anyone think if the dollar keeps slipping, what will happen in Panama as its currency is the dollar?

Thank you Annemichelle & Donzoila. It sounds as if I decided to move down there Panama City would be a safer bet.

Had visited Cerro Azul many times.  The scenic setting plus a cool weather attracted me the most in this place.  Since Cerro Azul is located outside of the city, about 30 minutes would be the commercial center, local restaurants and gas stations.

[ Moderated : Off topic. For any job advert please post in the Jobs in Panama ]

Don't bother....it's a dump!!!!

Hello username609,

Please note that this thread has not been active since 2011!

Shaazia
Equipe Expat.com

:)

Just a little feedback to username609:  I take exception to your characterization of Cerro Azul as "a dump".  We've lived in the development known as Altos de Cerro Azul for a number of years.  It's hardly a dump.  It's a gated community with clubhouse, tennis courts, swimming pool facilities and hundreds of homes ranging from simple weekend cottages to very expensive luxurious near mansions.  Most homes are like ours: two/three bedroom with modern amenities and very attractive grounds.  It's a bit remote... up in the mountains with their cool climate overlooking the Tocumen Airport but still only twenty minutes from an excellent Rey supermarket and a DoIt hardware store, among others.  Very handy access to the airport and perhaps thirty minutes to the City via Corredor Sur.   Just to set the record straight!

we went there to check it out.  pretty views on the way up.  but we must have picked a bad sunday,
because we noticed lots of melo commercial property where they raise chicken, i think, feed lots, also maybe?.  anyway it was quite smelly.  so I do not know if that is a regular occurance, or just the odd day.  but i did hear of some B&E's in the area a while back. and yes there are some poor communities with more garbage than I had ever seen,  that was in 2014.  maybe they cleaned it up by now.  anyway we were expecting altos del maria, replica.  not!

We are going to Cerro Azul when we want to leave all the stress from the city.
It's a little bit cooler than in the city, forrests around you, and it's calm. You just hear the birds and the wind, nothing else. We are doing BBQ and reading in the hammock...

Of course, when you are climbing up, you are passing the MELO farms, with their chicken and it always smells ;-)

But if you are heading up to the top, no more smell...