Top 5 tips to live in Cameroon

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Cameroon.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Cameroon?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Cameroon!

Thank you in advance :)

Great topic...
Moving only this summer but I can still give my 5 top general tips as I moved around a lot and whatever the country; it takes time to settle in. So...

1- Patience is key - Take it easy, breath and remember it is a new culture/mentality, things might (WILL) be done differently to where you come from - things seem to take longer to be done in central Africa in general (Admin, customer service :) )...

2- Accept the reality of the country you are in (keep your expectations at bay)-  it will save you headache trying to understand why and analyse/compare everything (i.E: Internet, Mobile services, power and water cuts)

3- Learn to live like a local - it will save you money and time and you will be less victim of the special pricing for "tourists" which can be 3/5/10 times more... In December I went to a hair dresser and paid 120 000CFA for myself and my 2 daughters to have our hair and nails done (a simple manicure for 1)... this price would be normal in England or even considered cheap for 3 people (Afro hair only) but in Cameroon where that would be someone' salary, no one would pay that...(common sense) I should have paid about 30 000CFA for the 3 of us... but yeah I learned my lesson.

4- Be safe - Study the place you live in, know your surrounded, be aware. Don't just trust the taxi driver, you should have an idea to where you are going, distance, timing etc...

5- HAVE FUN (Stop complaining...), life is short... enjoy the sunshine 24/7/365.  Go out, meet people, create a network, do a sport, have a favourite cafe... create habits and feel at home.

I hope expats living in Cameroon will be able to come and give more accurate info :)