Belo Horizonte

Hi,

Doing the big move from New Zealand to Belo Horizonte  April, May 2015. It would be good to meet new people or chat to help me settle in.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Your topic is now on the Belo Horizonte forum for more visibility and interaction with the other members. :)

Thanks

Priscilla

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg
Hi Daisy,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative.

Having lived in Belo Horizonte in the past, I can tell you that you'll love it there, the smell of flowers everywhere, the many sights to see and places to go, lazing along the banks of the Lagoa de Pampulha, etc. Don't miss the Mercado Central it's an experience all in itself even if you aren't shopping. Sunday mornings there is an open air art fair on Av. Alfonso Pena in front of Parque Central. A light lunch at one of the sidewalk cafes in Savassi is always enjoyable too, or a stroll through Parque Mangabeiras.

I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends there. The locals can be a bit distant at first, they tend to sit back and observe a lot before they make any moves toward forming friendships, but once you have a Mineiro friend they're friends for life. Just be patient and give them time.

You might want to check out the activities of a local group Minas International. They have regular meet-ups and from what Maxine posts here from-time-to-time they're a blast. You can find out more about them at:

www.minasinternational.org

Or you can try sending a private message to our member  mcclelm Maxine will be more than glad to hear from you. She also will post here on the Brazil Forum when there is an upcoming event.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello Dwyane,

Check out Minas International (MI).  MI is organized and operated by volunteers and is a not-for-profit association connecting English speakers living, working and doing business in Minas Gerais.  We hold over 50 events per year in the areas of business and education, social activities and volunteering for sustainable community development. 

If you go to the website you can add your email to our mailing list and get a copy of the MI Weekly that is sent on Thursdays featuring local dining, travel, fun stuff etc.. and all the upcoming events.   You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.

Hope to meet you at an event soon.

Maxine