Keeping Mauritius Tidy

Having just been to Rodrigues Island which is part of Mauritius I was amazed at how clean and tidy compared to Mauritius this island is. 
(a) plastic bags the demon of the visit to the shops are not allowed they have to be paper bags.
(b) little or no rubbish dumped by the side of roads or thrown from car windows, perhaps the goats which probably outnumber humans on Rodrigues have become a 'GREEN' environmental team.

What can be done in Mauritius ?.
(1) Try and catch the fly-tippers and rubbish dumpers.
(2) replace plastic with paper at all shops
(3) educate everyone to look after their environment.

in response to (3) every weekend Flic-En-Flac beach gets a lot of visitors from all over Mauritius and it is sad that many of them do not  even stop to think about putting rubbish in the bins or even take the rubbish home and put in their own bins. Every Monday the guy on the Bicycle who goes around collecting the cans etc is overloaded

I agree with you! Sadly I think the only option is educating the kids at school .. Hopefully they can sort their parents out!!

This is so true - Monday morning in flic en flac is tragic....the place is trashed! It's embarrassing. Education is the answer long term. But for the time being signs up everywhere explaining to people to put their rubbish in the bins would be a start....

Personally though I'd like to pick up all the rubbish on Monday morning, drive to the areas where all those visitors come from and dump it in their areas. That would feel amazing! But obviously its not very constructive :-)

So who do we talk to about signs and educating the kids in school?