MOVING TO POLAND WITH A PET!

Hi everyone!

I am considering a job offer for Krakow, and will be moving there with my dog. Does anyone know if it is a pet friendly city?  Will I have difficulty finding an apartment in  a good neighborhood?

Thank you

Hello LabrPat,

Welcome to Expat-Blog..:)

I would suggest you to post an advert on the page Housing in Krakow with the details you mentioned above.

Thank you
Yuveshen

Hi LabrPat.
We moved nearly a year to Krakow with our two cars from the UK. We did not have any problems with renting an apartment.
Krakow has lots of parks therefore walking with dog is not a problem.
You shouldn't have problems in finding apartment in a good neighborhood as they are expensive and therefore owners are keen to rent.

Good luck.
Marzenna

Hi!

I lived in Krakow with my dog for a couple of years.

It is quite usual for Polish people to keep a dog in their flat. The building where I've lived (Grzegorzecka area) almost all flats had a dog. Just make sure you mention this when looking for a flat/negotiating, so you won't have any surprises later on.

You will need to find an English speaking vet, which shouldn't be a problem. You can PM me if need any hints.

Smaller parks are around in most areas. The river area is good for walking/running, as is Park Lotnicztwo.

Be aware of the rules when walking your dog. At that time, officially larger dogs needed to wear a muzzle, and be kept on a leash within city borders. Not all people did this, though.

My experience with PL dog owners is very negative. In general they are quite irresponsible. They tend to have a preference for agressive dogs/dog breeds and find it "normal" and acceptable if their dog behaves agressively or even attacks yours...as my dog is quite open, energetic, playful and friendly, I had to pay a stack of vetenarian bills as a result of attacks.

PL dog owners have a great talent for running off and quickly escaping when called to their resonsibility or asked for their personal details to settle vet bills, while mumbling sth incomprehensible or racist (I do speak Polish, but with a foreign accent).

Hi, we moving to Krakow (Bibice to be precise) .  What is rules for bringing pets?  We moving from UK

Thanks

Hi.
You need to take your pets to the vet in the UK to prepare passports for them. The vet will give them all necessary injections and health checks. They also have to have cheap but the vet also is doing that. Then he/she will give your pets passports.
The injections have to be done about 20 days before travelling therefore go to the vet now and he/she will give you all the information. Poland doesn't quarantine pets but you need that passports.
We moved to Krakow from the UK with two cats nearly one year ago, therefore believe that my information is up to date. We hired a company that transported our pets by a specially prepared car because there is no direct flights taking pets from London airports to Krakow. They would have to change in Warsaw and that would be to stressful. Transport by a van is also cheaper.
I wish you all the best with that. It is very stressful and heartbreaking, but it can be done. Better then to give them up and change everything, house and the owners.
Best of luck,
Marzenna

Marzenna wrote:

They also have to have cheap but the vet also is doing that.

I guess you mean "chip", not "cheap"? ;)

Yes, I agree - it's very stressfull for animals to move, especially between countries. Vets can also provide/prescribe some medicins to reduce stress during travel.