Safety in Jordan and Ahlan Language School

I am considering going to Amman, Jordan, to study beginners Arabic at the Ahlan Language Centre in April 2015 for several weeks. I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know anything about the Ahlan Language School (have any experience of it or heard anything about it)? Is it a reputable school?

2) How safe is it to be in Jordan right now (March 2015 onwards), given the rise of ISIS in neighbouring countries and Jordan's part in the fight against ISIS?

I would really appreciate some advice - thanks!

Hello,
about your 2 question, i can tell you as a Jordanian living in North Jordan, till this moment everything is good and safe and quite... No ISIS fighter in wohle Jordan...

about your first question you have to wait till someone, who visited this school, to keep you updated.

I know nothing about the school, so I cannot comment. As far as safety, I am American and have lived here four and a half years. I've never felt NOT safe. I live in Irbid and Amman. Only scary thing here is traffic  :o and men and boys that their momma's never taught them it is rude to stare  :cool:

SherriO wrote:

I know nothing about the school, so I cannot comment. As far as safety, I am American and have lived here four and a half years. I've never felt NOT safe. I live in Irbid and Amman. Only scary thing here is traffic  :o and men and boys that their momma's never taught them it is rude to stare  :cool:

Lol so true :D

Hi
If you are still looking and checking out:
- Safety is granted. As Sherri said, the annoyance is limited to staring (and maybe drooling sometimes :-P )
- I haven't heard much about Ahlan school. But I met some Harvard students who were advised to study in Qasid  (www.qasid.com) and the PRINCESS SUMAYA UNIVERSITY FOR TECHNOLOGY offers courses and they are serious in everything they teach.

Cheers

i think it is safe. Alot of secret police walking around helps keep petty crime down too. don't know if you are female but it is safe for females here too...yes will attract some unwanted stares and i have heard some inappropriate touching but you can minimise that by dressing conservatively and avoiding downtown and dark streets at night if you are walking alone. no isis here yet but anything can change in middle east. So far so good.

Ahlan school: i have read about them on their site and they look fine. Not famous. If you have started there already plz share your experience. I would recommend French Institute for spoken language simply coz of location and cheaper fees. For standard Arabic qasid is perfect but it is the most expensive i have seen. jordan university would be good...cheaper with good quality instruction a language lab etc.