Burglaries - Peyia area

Please be aware there has been a marked increase in burglaries in the Peyia area - even to the point of breaking in whilst the occupiers are watching tv.. mainly jemmied patio doors and window even the ones with shutters fitted  - and usually taking cash passports jewellry and small light weight electronic goods... and most have had damages done to the property whilst ransacking it... so be aware and take care all.... so please be wary be alert be suspicious of anyone acting strangely - ie we have seen guys taking photos of properties with and without cars parked....especially those with red plates.

They are getting very very cute  -they are now even switching your power off at the mains if it can be accessed externally - so anyone who come out to investigate they dont touch then they attack  ones who dont with very costly damages to windows doors and decor... not to mention the losses incurred in  stolen contents

Join your local neighbourhood watch scheme if you can, fit extra locks fit an alarm  - be good to each other by being neighbourly and report all suspicious activity to both the police and the NHW scheme admin.

Above all else stay safe - dont approach them as they will be "tooled up" with jemmies and screwdrivers,,,

cheers toon, there was a spate of it in limassol last year, druggies were responsible, keep an eye out for any strange coded graffitti on property, the eastern europeans have their own code for properties that are only occupied certain times of the year.

good one London chap..... yes we think the local ones may be associated with some eastern european building crews but they are organised and do reccys to spot their targets  usually in a car and a motorbike.

That's messed up. Much of mainland Spain and bigger islands like Mallorca have the same problem. It's a real shame when living in countries like Lithuania is far safer than Cyprus, Spain... It used to be the other way around but widespread unemployment hit hard in most of Southern Europe.

Interestingly Malta is the only Mediterranean country with very low unemployment. Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Greece - all gone to shit over the last 3-4 years.

Malta also has very low wages and extremely long hours too..

Cyprus it seems also has a problem now

We're in Menorca now - no burglaries here haha! Great place - beautiful, clean, safe, cheap. Well cheaper than Malta anyway.

Back on topic of crime in Cyprus I hear there are lots of "gangs" operating in/around Paphos... but breaking in whilst people are in sleeping/watching TV? That's pretty bad.

yes it seems to be true it wasnt always like this  - i suspect its well organised gangs planning their future targets. Its not opportunists for sure.....and theyre getting very very bold.

I am told 2 policemen have been involved plus a leaflet distributor.

where do we go from here.....

perhaps,and a very big perhaps when the burgularies come to their own houses something may be done about it toon, if not there is always the e.u. court of justice. meanwhile, keep em peeled.

in my personal and public experiences of the EU and its commission so far over the last 4 years - theyre just a big machine who pay us plebs lip service

i agree about your point on  lip service from the e.u. toon,  but the lack of action will speak volumes.

yes it will.....