6 Month Visa

Hello!

Can anyone tell me what the challenges are in getting a 6 month visa to Mexico?
  I will be going in April, and the nearest consulate is not so close.
Is there anything on line??

You just have to fill a paper FMM in plane its turistic visa .you put 180 days and all ok '..

I get mine at the point of entry.  Your passport and about $22 US will do the job.  I simply go back at the end of 6 months and get anohter.  I have been doing this since 2006 no worries.

If you are flying the airline will give you a visa form before you land, you fill it out and present it to the aduana agent when you land . He decides how many days you can be there they normally agree to 180 days which is six months, or a 6 month tourist visa. If you are driving it's a similar process only you have to get out at the border and get one in their office at the border. It's simple no consulate needed.

Thanks!

when you cross you just get it at the border in mexico at inm  imigration and it is about 25 usd

thanks, I have crossed in an airplane several times and never realized I could have gotten a 6 month permit. :top:

What country are you from? That is crucial to such a question. I am American nad get 180 days at the airport with NO payment, unless it has changed since 2012. There is an exit fee though.....

jeanfinney wrote:

What country are you from? That is crucial to such a question. I am American nad get 180 days at the airport with NO payment, unless it has changed since 2012. There is an exit fee though.....

That's because the fee is included in the ticket. There is no exit fee. Only a fee for the FMT which you already paid for.

What country are you from? That is crucial to such a question. I am American and get 180 days at the airport with NO payment, unless it has changed since 2012. There is an exit fee though.....

Hi - there is indeed an exit fee if you exit by land, to Guatemala for example. I have paid it several times, 290 pesos I think - because the guy just said 300 once and when I found it, I went back and insisted on my ten peso change (something like that) - since I was exiting I used it to buy some fruit for myself and some others on the bus. that was a couple of years ago, I did not go to Mexico last year but I doubt if they have eliminated an easy source of revenue!

jeanfinney wrote:

Hi - there is indeed an exit fee if you exit by land, to Guatemala for example. I have paid it several times, 290 pesos I think - because the guy just said 300 once and when I found it, I went back and insisted on my ten peso change (something like that) - since I was exiting I used it to buy some fruit for myself and some others on the bus. that was a couple of years ago, I did not go to Mexico last year but I doubt if they have eliminated an easy source of revenue!

As I said before, you only pay once. Either on entrance or exit. If you flew from the US, the fee is included in you airfare and there should be a code on your ticket or boarding pass. It is a known ripoff for agents at the Belize or Guatemala border to ask for an "exit" fee. You do, however, have to surrender you FMT when you exit and get a new one when you reenter. With the new, you have to pay for that.

I think the exit fee is legit, there is even a receipt for it - You have to queue up and pay or you cannot leave. If it is a scam, it is a rather well organized and well accepted one - and should be brought to the attention of the authorities. But I very seriously doubt if trying to explain to some border guard that it was included in one's air ticket would work. Like not at all. What is the FMT? that little paper they give you on entry? (if I recall correctly)

jeanfinney wrote:

. What is the FTM? that little paper they give you on entry? (if I recall correctly)

FMT/FMM/Visitante is the permit you pay for to enter Mexico.

jeanfinney wrote:

There is no Mexican exit fee, there is just the visa coming in. There is a Belize exit fee, which might be confusing you, and a Guatamala fee "There is an exit tax (currently USD$30) for departing Guatemala by air. The tax  is generally included in an airline ticket price, but may be charged separately. There is an additional airport security fee (currently 20 quetzales, or approximately USD$2.60) that is also included in the ticket price."  * Note Guatemala uses quetzales not pesos.

As I can recall, when you enter by air they just stamp your passport. I cannot remember if they give you a little piece of paper that you have to keep up with but I dont think that losing it is a big deal, so what is there to surrender? I am trying to recall entering by land, if you have to pay - I almost did it lat year but I got stuck in Guatemala (travel fatigue then I broke my arm!) In that case I would have entered recently by land. Many people who live part or full time in Guatemala travel to Mexico for a break or for visa reasons, I might ask a question on a forum about this question - I doubt if they pay two times. If the departure tax is a scam then everyone is paying it, and the issue should be addressed.

Hi ,

I am an Indian living in Monterrey, Mexico. Since I have US Visa, I can enter enter Mexico with that and live here for 6 months. I don't know what to do after 6 months.

Do I have to go outside Mexico and enter again. Is there any way, to extend my stay without leaving Mexico.

Please suggest.

Regards
Kabi

you must apply after being in Mexico within 1 month to the immigration office.  There you can extend your stay.