A dog's life...? Would you bring pets?

Looking at working in outskirts of kl. Want to bring our pet poodle mix dogs but hearing people hurt dogs, nowhere to walk them especially for off lead runs and that generally not a good idea.

It might be deal breaker for us.

Don't hear good things about Thailand either, for dog safety.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

There is one place you can let a dog off the leash - Desa Park City - it is a dog friendly area. But generally they have to be under control. You cant have pets in condos so would have to live in a house. They are not allowed in public transport i.e. trains, taxis (or only by prior arrangement and in a travel box/cage). If they yap, perhaps expect problems. Generally though no probs and lots of Chinese have dogs. I think the stories perhaps belong to China not Malaysia. But the landlord may not want to rent if you have dogs and are islamic owners. There are some areas you would be ill-advised to try and rent i.e. in a heavily Islamic community, such as Shah Alam. So housing will be trickiest issue but at least you will get a small yard for running around.

So the area where the park is ....? Is it near to Alice smith school? Or which good international schools is it near, with affordable houses? I'm guessing then a car is essential in irder to get to that park. Is the park downtown and via traffic queues or on outskirts?

Thanks really helpful reply. Our dogs are used to lots of walks off lead even though small dogs.

Alice Smith School is in two completely different locations. One is close to the City and the senior section is in Seri Kembangan which is about 40k south of the City.

If you go to Google Maps you can find Desa Park City. Check out prices at www.iproperty.com.my

If by downtown you mean city centre - then no, DPC is north of the city, close to Mont Kiara. There is a school at DPC but usually quite full and difficult to get new pupils in. You need to enquire directly with the schools to see if any have spaces.

There is open land (Bukit Kiara) in Mont Kiara, but I am not sure of the rules there as it is Malaysian Reserve, so I suspect that you would not be able to have your dogs off the leash. That is the issue, unless it is private land, then local rules would apply.

You would need a car to live almost everywhere in the Klang Valley because the connectivity is very poor and with dogs you would not be able to use public transport of any kind. Dogs are walked discretely here in general.

The closest schools to Mont Kiara are Garden International and British International School. But no houses in Mont Kiara to rent at a reasonable budget. BIS is close to One Utama, and there are lots of houses to rent there and good facilities/malls. But once again you will need a car in that area and to be mobile and not isolated.

Schooling depends once again on your budget and accessibility *home and workplace*:

http://www.ucsiinternationalschool.edu. … cation.pdf

But the schools to have bussing arrangements.

The problem with dogs has been that they have attacked cyclists and caused deaths in the public areas such as the Forest Research Insitute and therefore they get bad press. There are quite a lot of feral dogs and they are frequently either poisoned or rounded up and euthenased.

Oh dear... Makes me feel sad! In summary would you bring your loved dogs? I want what's best for them. I love having dogs but here they are happy, safe, have amazing runs on the beach and in the woods every day and I never worry about them.

I would hate to fear for them whilst at work. Currently we employ an au pair to look after them in the day. Are the home helps mostly Filipino or Malay? Do they look after pets or not like too?

Thank you for taking the time to help answer my questions.

As we would be selling a house here we would have interest which we could add to our budget to get a house if needed. We tried renting our house whilst living overseas and was a pain so selling it this time and just getting small holiday let here in uk. So budget probs not a concern. Would rather be near the big park with commute to school.

Maybe it's not meant to be! ...?

Filippino maids are available. Malay maids are non-existance (almost). They cost about RM1400 per month live-in. There are Indonesian maids who cost about RM1200 live in.

Just remember that there is a new minimum budget to buy a house in Selangor for foreigners - RM2 million.

The minimum is lower in other states at RM1 million. I think it is still RM500k in Penang and Melacca.

If you go to the MM2H.gov.my website you can find the lastest list of minimums and whether it covers condo units or landed properties. Its very hard to sell property in Malaysia at the moment and could be for a considerable time because of a huge glut in properties.

Your dogs' life would be quite different here, that is for sure.

We probs will rent not buy just use the interest from uk savings to afford garden house. The houses seemed around 5000 a month near the park for a family with a garden.

Will be bit tricky as hubby secondary teacher and I'm primary so possibly means 2 cars.

The write up about the cost of schooling was very interesting, seems a growth area/opportunities will only increase with demand.

Thanks again for your time.

We are moving to Desa park city at the end of July and are hoping to bring our dog out after Christmas, once we have settled in. From what I hear it is a great place for dogs and there are certain areas where the landlords of houses will be fine with you having a dog. So far we have been told that casaman, and Amelia areas of Desa park are fine with animals.

Thanks. We haven't been successful wt our application so far and are trying to sell house here so more long term but still open to considering hk.

Ah well good look with your search. We now need to secure a maid by the time we get out there...that's all a bit complicated. :)

Yes we had a maid nightmare in Abu Dhabi. Don't rush your decision ...

yes its always safer to walk them on leash as the pathway is shared with people and other animals.there are dog parks and even an off leash dog park BUT most of us walk our dogs just outside and its all safe.As long as you are not carrying a big handbag that may attract snatch thieves  .Contrary to what people think they know about Malaysia , there are many dog friendly condos, parks, restaurants and cafes...I would NOT be able to post this here incase anyone reading creates problems or are dog haters etc.theres a huge dog loving community and many animal rescues all paid by volunteers. theres SPCA that collects loads of money from expats but doesnt do much for animals at all and even has a kill policy, so a huge misconception about them.  Pls if you want to PM me and I can help you with your queries

.I would NOT be able to post this here incase anyone reading creates problems or are dog haters etc

not able ? in case of what ?

Pls if you want to PM me and I can help you with your queries

come on, this is getting annoying

There have been complaints of restaurants allowing dogs and due to that dogs are no longer allowed. Sometimes if the public sees this they may not support the place as they may consider this 'non-halal', too many things can go wrong...I know it can be  annoying but if you want, theres a solution... (moderated: inappropriate comment)