Want to stay about 6 month of each year in Chiang Mai- Want infos

Hi. I'm an Australian - I've been to Chiang Mai before but as a traveler.
I'm a retired woman who now writes and I have lived in Asia previously.
I am looking for information about staying in Chiang Mai for six months or longer of each year. I would rent, not buy and would like to visit maybe next month for three weeks or so and meet some people who live there. If I could meet a few people on this trip it would give me the chance to talk to people about the practicalities and possibilities.
I have traveled to a lot of SE Asia and other places so I'm not a complete greenhorn but I need to know more about actually living in Chiang Mai. I'm on my own so one thing I would like is the opportunity to make new friends over there. It's nice to get together once or twice a week with others!
I'd be really happy to hear tips from anyone and if there is any way I could meet some people when I come over could you please let me know. Also if you could recommend a place to stay for 3 to 4 weeks? Just a room: simple and clean and in a central area - walk to night market and not too expensive.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to any replies. Diana

Hello Diana and welcome to Expat.com!

kindly note that a new thread has been created out from your post on the Chiang Mai forum to help you get better interactions and visibility on the forum.

I invite you to browse through sections of the Chiang Mai forum such as Cost of Living, Everyday Life, Accomodation to gather some useful infos.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Can anyone tell me when it would be better to visit for three weeks please - February or July or another month? Not April as I already know what that's like,

Nomadpooge wrote:

Can anyone tell me when it would be better to visit for three weeks please - February or July or another month? Not April as I already know what that's like,

November to March is better as this is the cooler months. From then to June is hot and the rainy season starts July.

Thanks for the replies. I would like to visit chiang Mai in February but what about the smoke - is it really bad in February?

Smokey season seems to be mid Feb to April.

I suggest a Google search will give you more information.

Nomadpooge wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I would like to visit chiang Mai in February but what about the smoke - is it really bad in February?

Best time to visit Northern Thailand is mid-November to the beginning of February.  What the locals call the cool season, outside of that time-frame it can be hot or wet or both and uncomfortable too. I live here full time in the lower North not in CM.  But, yes it fairly well documented that it will be smoky in CM on some days from February to April. However lots of foreigners live there full time and seem to cope fine.

Thanks for the info everyone I really appreciate it! I think I'll chance it and come up feb so where could I stay that's central in a simple, clean and comfortable room with just the basics and preferably ensuite for about 3 weeks please? Ideally I'd like to walk around to look at more long term accommodation for the future and be near to local eating places. About $140 AD a week (around $20 AD a night ).

I'm arriving in June for a month and wondering:
What is the best way to bring money to Thailand to avoid the ATM fees?
Are there any expats living in Chiang Mai who would be interested in having a coffee and giving me some clues about how it is actually living there?
Is there anyone who has a rental for one person for six months that I could view to get an idea what a simple rental is like? I would like a small hot plate or similar cooking setup and a furnished place preferably. I don't want to be in the flight path or too close to the river in case of flooding.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regarding money view this forum as this was discussed recently

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 34#2500343

Go to the housing section here, you might get an idea of the rental price per month for condo or house in Chiang Mai and maybe you will find what you are looking for, but it can be a bit early :

https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/t … -rent.html

There was also another forum about accommodation in Chiang Mai, have a look :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=450345

Good Luck in your searches

Thanks cthierrymk.
I'd still like to meet people rather than look st websites which I have done.
Also I come from Australia so is AD$ ok for exchange. I was trying to avoid bringing too much cash for security reasons so was looking for simple alternatives. Also are there any banks that don't charge the 150bht fee? Is there citibank in chiang Mai? What about cash passport card, anywhere to withdraw for free with those? Anyone know?

All ATM will charge you 150 THB but this is nothing regarding :
1- the percentage your bank will charge you ( check in your bank website it can be like between 2 and 3% )
2- the bad exchange rate you will get from your bank, and you will discover it after

Exchange rate in Thailand is better than abroad, only alternative I can see is cash, or a travel card with cash but I have never used this system.

Remember in Thailand most of the stuffs are paid by cash because they are cheap,... except you go in shopping mall you can pay by card, or tourist reataurant, .... but market place, local transport, local restaurant etc.... you always need  cash with you...

The big bill like hotel or car rental etc... you can pay by card....

If you are looking for specific bank I have never heard about citibank here but i use local bank, just check in their website it will always be more accurate to find there all the branches they have worldwide, or ask to you banker if you have an account there.

Nomadpooge wrote:

Is there citibank in chiang Mai? ?

Only citibank I can find are in Bangkok

Results for: thailand,atm

ATM

Citibank ATM
399 Sukhumvit Road, Interchange 21 Building (Asoke Intersection), Klongtoey Nua ,Sub-district, Wattana District, Bangkok 10110 Domestic: 1588 International: 66-2 232-2484

Citibank ATM
323 United Center Building, Silom Road, Silom Sub-district, Bangrak District, Bangkok 10500 Domestic call: 0-2650-5999 International call: 66-2-650-5999

Cititbank ATM
4th floor, CentralWorld, Rajdamri Road, Pathumwan Sub-district, Pathumwan District, Bangkok 10330 Domestic call: 0-2-677-4999 International call: 66-2-677-4999

Branch

Citibank Bangkok Branch
399 Sukhumvit Road, Interchange 21 Building (Asoke Intersection), Klongtoey Nua ,Sub-district, Wattana District, Bangkok 10110 Domestic: 1588 International: 66-2 232-2484

Citibank Silom Branch
323 United Center Building, Silom Road, Silom Sub-district, Bangrak District, Bangkok 10500 Domestic call: 0-2650-5999 International call: 66-2-650-5999

Nomadpooge wrote:

. Also are there any banks that don't charge the 150bht fee? Is there citibank in chiang Mai? What about cash passport card, anywhere to withdraw for free with those? Anyone know?

I did not remove cash from ATM wuth foreign card since last year but I used to pay 150 THB however I have read on internet they are talking now about 180 THB !! I can not confirm that.

Another point about Citibank yes it seems they does not charge ATM fees but branches are in BKK

Do not use credit cards for money withdrawal in any country! Depending on the bank, that issues your credit card, you would have to pay a fee of 2 to 5% on your withdrawal.

Let's say for example 2% on 20,000 THB it will be 400 THB that means nearly 3 times the 150 THB

Nomadpooge wrote:

Winter months of November, December and January are usually nice and cool up here ( temperature in Chiang Mai can go down to 10 degrees Celsius night earlly morning )

Hot season months of March, April and May can be really hot! (can reach the 40 degrees Celsisus )

Rainy season, from May to September, it doesn't rain every day and is unlikely to rain all day either. You can get short, sharp, refreshing showers with sunny intervals in between, and often you can have fine days with rainy nights, so it's not necessarily a big problem. But again that depends, some year can be really strong.....

After the taste is yours, tourist like sun, when you stay home with air cond you don't really see difference in Hot season, if it is a builder or gardener that clear he will be burn and they wear protection mask on all their face...

Songkran festival take place in April for example and in Chiang Mai it is very famous ...

Hi...You can contact me here if you need accommodation in CM...short time or long term..Eddie

Yes please I would be very interested to view if possible any 1 person accommodation you rent. As I said I will be there in June and I would like a clean and comfortable place with a view and cooking facilities like hot plates.
Do you have anything like that?

Hi Kris I see you have a 2 bed condo for rent in May. If you have anything with a kitchen similar for one person I would like to see when I arrive. I will be in Chiang Mai from 1st June to 27th and am interested in staying long term.

there are a lot of expats in CM you could meet and there are many guesthouses to choose from starting at $200 a month ( some also run by expats ).

CM in a fantastic place & hope you'll enjoy.

[ Moderated: Kindly note that it would be more appropriate to post your advert for renting in the section Housing in Chiang Mai so that it can be more visible for members.]

Hi ...no cooking facilities,Sorry
Microwave is fine ..but then again you have to buy if the landlord not supply

Nomadpooge wrote:

Thanks cthierrymk.
I'd still like to meet people rather than look st websites which I have done.
Also I come from Australia so is AD$ ok for exchange. I was trying to avoid bringing too much cash for security reasons so was looking for simple alternatives. Also are there any banks that don't charge the 150bht fee? Is there citibank in chiang Mai? What about cash passport card, anywhere to withdraw for free with those? Anyone know?

I have taken AUD to Thailand several times before, I have been caught out where the exchange company did not like the look of old notes or marked notes. Go in to your bank and ask for the crispy new ones and make sure you have your passport with you at the time you want to exchange. Also shop around for best exchange rates as they can vary a bit, but once you find a favourite you will be fine. I have never been charged a 150 Baht fee to date, but I guess it is in the exchange some where. Outside of that I take a ATM card, but once again speak to your bank and they may have a card that suits you best that you can internet transfer from your everyday banking to your card. If you then lose it you wont lose to much, but have a back up plan. If you have a card and passport that has a chip in it invest in a RFID (I think) wallet or purse that will protect it from being scanned as you are walking around shopping.
Safe Travels!

Hi, as the time gets closer for cm ( arrive on 30th) I'm wondering where else besides the expat club I could perhaps meet some expats?
I'm going to stay a month and have taken the advice you kindly gave and got a special wallet.
Thanks for your help.

Hi,

We have just left CM a week ago and believe me it was smoking hot, once again had a great time. Not sure of your likes and dislikes but if you like NRL or AFL or could even tolerate it a bit, there is a pub called Downunder which is owned by Stuart (WA) and his Thai wife. It is a very friendly and social pub with a lot of expats and those who are just passing through. If you are not into sport perhaps try it mid week when all the eyes are not glued to the screen. Other than that my wife has met fellow expats getting her nails done and at the local supermarket, just a smile and a simple hello and you will be surprised as the expats just want to help fellow expats. Not sure if there are any other groups of expats with specific interests that meet on a regular interval.
I hope you enjoy CM and all it has to offer.

ourlifeintravel.com

Thanks so much for that tip. Are you Australian? Just wondering if you live there part of the year?
Thanks again

Yes I am Australian and we were living on the GC for 18 years and have recently moved back to Adelaide. We travel a fair bit and Thailand is one of our favourite places to visit. We were there recently helping out with a charity we do work for, Anzac Day at Hell Fire Pass and Chiang Mai after to relax. Next trip to Chiang Mai will be in January as they say it is cooler then (I look forward to that).
We would like to one day be in the position to spend 3 - 6 months at a time in Thailand but unfortunately at the moment we have family commitments here. We also like Hua Hin and Koh Samui as it also has a big welcoming expat lifestyle, however Koh Samui is a little more expensive than CM and HH.