Visit visa? residency permit?

Hi.

I'm here in Bahrain on a visa I obtained from the airport and then extended once at the immigration office.  Mistakenly, I extended my visa on Sunday morning and got almost no information from the clerk.  He actually laughed at me when I indicated I would like to stay for a year, charged me BD50 for a 1 month extension and sent me on my way.

My husband is here until September (likely beyond) and I'd like to remain here with him, but I don't understand my options and am hoping for some clarification...

Can I extend my already extended visa at the immigration office, or must I fly out of the kingdom every 6 weeks?

Is there a residency permit I can acquire?  I'm not going to be seeking any employment.

Thanks in advance!

It depend a bit on your husband's status here.  If he has a resident visa and is sponsored by an employer here then that should be extended to you too. If not, then yes, you will have to exit and re-enter to get fresh visitor visas, these vary in length according to your nationality.  A quick trip to Dubai will do the trick!

I am a US citizen with a valid passport.  I'm not sure what my husband's visa status is, but for the sake of this question let's just ignore that.

Just to be clear, though, I cannot extend my current visa?  I have been told by some that I could stay for 3 months before doing a Dubai visa bounce. 

We're planning to visit the immigration office at a better time on his next day off, hoping for a more helpful person. 

Thanks!

UK citizens get three months on a visitor visa on entry, which may be where that has come from.  I thought you could only renew once at the visa office, but they may have changed the rules, so worth checking. See what they say when you go back - worth a try!

Thanks for the help! :)

Oh, one more question...

Is there a limit to the number of fresh visas I'm allowed to get?

Not sure, to be honest, though I know some people have gone quite a while coming in and out. Someone else may know.

hello,

may be this thread can give you some info: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454404

good luck

T&R

He can sponsor you I guess !

Or if he couldn't

Here are the options for a UK passport holder !

Your best shot would be getting a 3 months visit visa , renew it for 3 more months !
Then fly to Qatar ,
Why Qatar?
Because , "British Airways Roundtrip" to Qatar just costs 40 BD #Cheap ;)

Come back again on arrival and apply for visit visa at the airport , then do the same 3+3 months procedure !

There are options like 5 year visa but you get to stay just 28 days and have to exit and enter Bahrain again !
It'd turn out to be costly , but the visit visa way would be economical  :top:

http://s3.postimg.org/q4pwjlvur/stay.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I'm a US passport holder though. 

I'll see what happens at the immigration office when I go next. 

Hubby wants me to fly to Dubai, not Doha because it's more western and if my flight gets cancelled I can safely get a hotel etc...

Not sure what scale your husband is able to measure westernism on, but Doha is absolutely fine for a woman on her own to spend a night in. Plenty of good hotels around or even in Souq Waqif area downtown Doha if you want to take in some of the sights there.

That's fair.  He's been all over and I think he'd just rather pay a bit more for his own peace of mind.  I'm of the opinion that pretty much everywhere is safe and find as long as you're respectful and courteous.  :)

There will be no sight seeing in either place, regardless.  :)