Vintage American Clothing Store Business?

I want to relocate to Central America and have been researching some type of business I could operate.  I've met someone that makes a living selling vintage clothes in Panama and wondered if there were any such stores in Costa Rica or wheather this could be a viable business there.  Would appreciate any input or info.

Hello Nickrocks - I think you better see this video....   youtube.com/watch?v=6K_n0FNqDg4

Vintage clothes businesses ... not that I am aware although possibly in San José...but the country is full of exported used clothing from the USA.
Legally you can't 'physically' work here until apermanent resident, although you can own a business you are required to hire staff to run it and adhere to the strict labor laws

I would say no.  The Ticos that wear used clothes shop at the 'Ropa Americanas' (thrift stores).  I don't think you'd have a big enough market of Gringos, even in the Escazu area.  One thing Gringas complain about a lot is not being able to find larger sizes here.  In the Escazu/Santana area, there might be a market for higher end plus sized ladies clothes.  I would research that if I were thinking about going into the clothes business.

So, what he is saying is that many Costa Rica are large... too funny.   Many Costa Rican's can barely afford food never mind new clothing.  It really is very hard to open a new business and be successful in Costa Rica.  The import taxes are so high that the selling prices of items are outrageously high.  For example:  The import taxes on something like a refrigerator is over 80%, total insanity.  The country has no proper method of collecting income tax from citizen's, so they come up with bizarre taxes.  Just look at the insane prices of new cars, and the double digit interest rate people pay to buy new cars, sometimes 30%.  The best thing is to have an Internet based business and have your earnings deposited in an American bank.  Opening a new business in CR is a huge gamble.

Actually, I was saying that, from what the Gringas (North Americans) have been telling me over the years, they can't find larger (US size 14 and up) clothes here.  Many go back to North America just to buy clothes.  You're right about the taxes, etc.  It would be a big gamble to go into retail here.

LOL! Great video and not so unlike Panama where I lived and dealt with Gringo prices and Panama time. Owning successful businesses for 25 years I am not unfamiliar with start up costs going over estimates and having a years pillow but a different country in a new business is a horse of a different color and certainly requires much research.  Thanks for the video!

Travelcostaricanow has a lot of good informative videos, Michael and DeAngelo have been in Costa Rica for about eight years, and they always tell it like it is, there is no sugar coating anything with those guys.

I loved them and signed up to suscribe.  I jusr started laughing when they talked of gringo prices and time,  Couldn't have said it better.

Hello nichrocks,

Did you find out if it is possible to start a clothing store business in Costa Rica? Will it be a good idea?

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

No, I havn't found out yet.  I am still looking for feedback on here, have friends in Costa Rica looking into it and will be traveling there in April to research it first hand myself.  If you are interested I will keep you updated on my findings.

Please see my post

Hello Shazzia,

My wife and I would like to thank you for the laugh, I'm sure you were only joking when you suggested opening a clothing store in Costa Rica.     You better see this video:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K_n0FNqDg4
Also:  The import taxes in Costa Rica are the highest in the world.

No, no joke.  Unless you research an idea you have no way of knowing whether it is doable or not. I do know people who do this in Panama and make a good living.  I prefer Costa Rica, am trying to find some sort of business to successfully make a living at, wheather clothing or something else so wondered if it was a viable idea there.  I don't need to make a fortune, just enough to cover living expenses and believe me would never blindly open any business without regular and market research and business plan. As I am sure you are aware it is not easy to find any type of business that would work there so I have to investigate any I think of.  If you can suggest any I am open.

If you mean used clothing when you say "vintage," my opinion is that would it might not be a good idea.  In every town that I've visited there is some form of used clothing store.  As someone else mentioned, there are many Ropa Americanas.  They are clothing stores that ship bulk used American clothes, blankets, etc. into the country.

As to shipping costs.  If you ship with the right people the import tax is included in the flat rate price that you are given.  If you are paying 80% import tax you are not shopping around.  Also, I would strongly advise against shipping with TIcos.   I have used shippingcr.com for years now with no problems.  They charge $4.50 per pound, $650 per pallet and also ship full containers.  I purchased my frig., microwave and stove from the States and shipped all three for $650.  I saved about $1,000. vs. Costa Rica prices.  I also purchase some of my clothes and shoes from the States and ship them - it's cheaper than buying them here.   ...no, I have no connection to them and this is not an advertisement for them.  I have experienced bad shippers and have been very impressed with these guys.

Idea for a business:  North American style doughnut shop or bakery!   There is one that I've read about but it's over on the coast somewhere.  I also read that they do very well.  TIcos have a very different taste when it comes to pastries.

- Expat Dave

Thanks so much.  This was a very informative answer and I appreciate your suggestion.  I am sure your shipping info will come in handy in the future.
Jayne

Ropa Americanas (vintage clothing) are everywhere. Where I live, Puriscal, there are at least 15 to 20 of them. But that is because they are a popular and well-used alternative so the newer and, sometimes, more cheaply made stuff from China. I 2nd Shippingcr. I have nothing but good experiences with them. If you're going to take Dave up on his suggestion, might I suggest that you expand on the pastry idea and import other foods as well that are hard to find here like Jimmy Dean style sausages, hotlinks, Mexican chorizo (the kind that melts in the pan), Kielbasa sausages, and did I say Hotlinks? If I ever find a store that sells hotlink sausages or Mexican chorizo then I am buying them out,  :top:.

ExpatDave wrote:

dea for a business:  North American style doughnut shop or bakery!   There is one that I've read about but it's over on the coast somewhere.  I also read that they do very well.  TIcos have a very different taste when it comes to pastries.

- Expat Dave

Thanks LadyLuz!  If I follow thru on your suggestions you have first dibs! :dumbom:

I had to write back due to your donut shop idea.  I attend liquidation auctions and when I checked what was upcoming this week what did I find?  A bakery going out of business!  I wondered if it was an omen and my head wheels started clicking hmmmm wonder what shipping would be lol

I do not think clothing is a good business, too many of those every where. I think a 3G printing service is a good business, a recycling business, a paper manufacturer using sugar cane, pineapple, watermelon, other residuals or a recovery home for people coming for surgery. a 10 bed home is big enough. All these businesses have little competition the way I see it.

Hello Nickrocks - Good luck with your new business.
- youtube.com/watch?v=YnYyvb482k0

Thank you both Mareon and Edward.  I gave up on the clothing idea after the research and responses here.  Mareon that was a great answer on the recover for surgury home though.  What I actually settled in on doing was forming a medical tourism company.  An attorney in Panama is my partner and I am searching for someone with a medical background as a 3rd partner and investor who will serve as consultant. (hint-in case you know anyone).  My business plan is almost complete and I will be in Panama and Costa Rica for 2 weeks this month meeting with potential providers.
I welcome any advice.  I think this could be a good business if done right.  My goal is to find some type of business that will support me enough so that I can relocate as I really want to move there but am realistic regarding finances.  I know living in trees eating bananas won't make me happy on the long run lol.

Hello. good thing you have given up on the clothing business. As I wrote to you here before, one of my suggestions was a medical tourism business. I have a friend who has been on the business for over 4 years and does well. I have some money to invest if you are interested as I have been considering getting in that business for a while. I know some of its insights on where to get clients, where to place the house, the type of house needed, know many transport services with accommodations for wheel chairs, suppliers, personnel, etc. Feel free to contact me.