A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil

Hi everyone!

I definitely agree with Bigsexy there. Brazil is a great country with many different customs and behaviors between its regions. Sometimes it is even hard for Brazilians to understand each other!

Whenever we travel to a new place (anyplace), we tend to be a bit more cautious and aware of the surroundings. We are not so sure of the "dos" and "don'ts" of each place. After a while, you will most likely adapt to the environment. You will recognize the streets, the accents or specific terms of the city...

Another great "tip" for gringos in Brazil would be to make new friends - walking around the city in groups might be less frightening. Needless to say, more enjoyable as well.

Actually here in Fortaleza, we are quite affraid of people with backpack. Typically if a young male enter in a shop with a backpack, everybody will get very very nervous.

James,
Thank you for all the subject matter. You've been more help to many and I know through experience; than what  I could ever hope to receive from the Recife American Consulate.
I've lived here some 9 years now after marrying a Brazilian girl. I echo what you have voiced by having jumped through many of the cultural, legal, financial hoops you have mentioned. Your advice, through experience is both accurate and well spoken.

'This is not the promised land' - what a hoot.

Ron.

Hey James i am moving to ribeirao das nevas.... Any tips for this city?

Leighmcd wrote:

Hey James i am moving to ribeirao das nevas.... Any tips for this city?

Yes, as a matter of fact I lived right on the outskirts of Ribeirão das Neves for about 4 years... be extremely careful and hyper-vigilant there, it's a very dangerous city. Follow ALL of the safety tips in my posting to the letter, and make sure never to forget.

If you don't have a car you will find it's probably going to be a bit easier to get into downtown Belo Horizonte than it was when I lived there, even so, it's quite a jont.

If you drive, avoid avoid BR-040 like the plague, especially on holiday weekends, MG is one of the worst states for traffic accidents and BR-040 always has some of the highest trafffic faltality counts in all of Brazil on long weekends.

Two nearby cities you should avoid are Santa Luzia and Vespasiano, both pretty rough places even by Brazilian standards.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

This morning my wife called one of her sisters living in Novo Progresso which is near Belo Horizonte. This is a working poor/lower middle class area.

The sister told my wife that one of her nieces, who is about 30 years old, was accosted a week ago and just left the hospital yesterday.

Only 30 feet or so from the house on her way to work, a thug on a motor-cycle came up behind her, grabbed her back-pack and dragged her several feet before he was about to wrestle it from her.

She ended up with a broken shoulder plus scratches and bruises on her head and elsewhere.

Also, it took two days before a doctor attended her.

My guess is that these creeps study the habits of people living in the neighborhood and know when to strike.

Hi James
I got my RNE on PR basis.How can i register Government Retirement plan privately on the phone?I think of opening a homebased micro company in the near future as well.So Will i be able to contribute two different pension plans in the same time?  Cheers Jim.

Hi Jimkey19

Unfortunately Mr. James passed away and is no longer with us. 

As far as your questions are concerned, I believe some of the experts on the Canadian forum might be able to give you are more clearer idea about the policy and procedures for your Government Retirement Plan and also a better clarification for the pension plans as well.

Wish you the best of luck

Boa Noite

Stanza

feeling so sad for him.

HI Jimkey

Yes indeed.  We all feel quiet sad for the situation.  Mr. James was a rockstar on this board and he was a gem of a person.

Have a great evening

Regards

Stanza

So sorry to hear about his passing.God bess him and his family.

Fantastic post!!!!
I am brasileira, l've been living abroad with my child to educate him for over 7y and want to move back as he us in university.  Children education was ur only missing point on your post, you must to tell people how ridiculously expensive is to educate a child in Brazil, you  dont want your children on a public school, you dont wish that not even to you worse enemy, is a hell!!!! My aunt teaches in a public school, everyday she comes home horrified by things she sees there :(
I was lucky to study my whole life in private schools, and now l know if l didn't l would never be able to speak 4 languages and see the world the way l do. Plus, if ur child cant speak portuguese, he is f***** till he does!!! English even in private schools is a joke.

My condolences. Meus pesames.

Hi James another great read with as alway great information. I was wondering is it easier to get a permanent residency a Brazil consulate in the US.

I'm hearing that it takes about about the same amount of time as it does in Brazil. If you get it in Brazil it takes about 60 days to get your CIE. Your RNE is approved right away. Getting it in the USA you have to wait till it is approved to come to Brazil. You still ha
ve to pick it up at the PF. Either place is easier now.

Jim

I am a USA citizen but I have a CIE with a Permanente classification, issued in 2014.  Does this function as a a visa or do I need to buy a visa to return to Brazil?

jst13...........This CIE is your Visa and no other visa passport stamps are required.  However there is sub-classifications.  A permanent resident Visa may have a date of expiration on the front of the card.  Or, it may say "indeterminada."  If it states the latter then you do not have to worry about how long you may be out of the country of Brazil and the card is good forever.  If it states an expiration date then if you are living outside of Brazil, you must return at least once within a 24 month period of the time you last left Brazil.  I hope this helps!

You have to return every 2 years to keep you CIE valid  the indeterminate is for people over 60.

Jim

Hi James.  I recently joined Expat.com.  Canadian here.  Spent 12 years teaching and traveling in Asia.  Looking to move to Sao Paulo Brazil mid July.  I have a few questions.  If possible, when you get a chance, send me a message?  Thanks so much ahead of time.  And, this survival guide is very informative.  Thanks again!

Hi James.  I recently joined Expat.com.  Canadian here.  Spent 12 years teaching and traveling in Asia.  Looking to move to Sao Paulo Brazil mid July.  I have a few questions.  If possible, when you get a chance, send me a message?  Thanks so much ahead of time.  And, this survival guide is very informative.  Thanks again!

Sorry to say James is deceased.

Jim

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry.  I don't know him by any means, but he was very informative and did so much for this site.  Is there anyone else in a position such as james?

Hello, my name is Sotade Oluseyi Adeyemi, I am from Nigeria, I am planning of coming to Brazil on a tourist visa with my wife for a vacation, and also to have our baby there. My wife is pregnant and I wish her deliver the baby in Brazil so that we can obtain a permanent residency permit. What advise can u give us? Please, I will be very grateful if  you could reply me  as soon as possible. Many thanks.

Although I don't condone what you are doing, there is other threads dedicated to information for anchor babies.

This is an excellent source of advice for tourists or residents.  I have a few minor added suggestions:

- Always get your printed receipt from any ATM transaction, even the banks sometimes overlook counter fit currency and if you have your receipt as proof of where the money came from you can ask the bank to exchange the counter fit bill or bills for valid currency.

- If you are traveling in a car for a long distance even with a Brazilian friend make sure to carry at least $R200 in cash with you.  If you encounter a police roadblock they can always find a reason to fine you R$150 even though it is an illegal move to gain a bribe good luck fighting it.  And those police will have all their name tags removed during these activities.

- Typically if you overstay your Tourist Visa, all you must do is pay a fine for each day you overstayed and it use to be R$8 but is probably more now.  When I did that it would cost too much to go to the nearest Federal Police (in Rio for me) so I would just pay the fine but plan on this adding maybe 30-45 minutes of going through the process, sometimes it is actually not payable until your next trip and sometimes it is overlooked, you just never know.

- In the US I would recommend you always use a company to assist with any Visa requests so you do not have to go to the actual Brazilian Consulate to get the Visa.  Also, the Permanent Visa is much more complicated and they will review your submission and make sure you have all the correct forms and approvals.  And this process is going to take maybe 5 or 6 months unless you want to pay a lot more to expedite it.  You are going to need things like official fingerprinting done typically by your Sheriffs office which then is forwarded to the FBI for a complete criminal check and each process has its various fees.  You will need several financial statements all notarized.  I do not remember everything but with the processor fees included I spent about $1,700 USD before all was said and done.  Then you have maybe 60 days (check this on your documents) when you get to Brazil to apply for your Residents ID (I forgot the actual name but it will be in your documents) and to get this you will need an address in Brazil and proof like an electric bill with your name and address or your landlord's name and if it is a landlord they will have to write you a letter and get it notarized and still will need the electric or other bills.  And of course, I think 2 photos (not exactly like a passport photo) so follow their directions exactly.  And there are a number of fees for this process so bring some cash it was at least R$250 I think for all the various fees.  You will be given a temporary ID to use until your permanent one arrives which will probably be a few weeks late.   These Visas are kind of permanent but you must visit Brazil within a 2 year period or the Visa expires.   Also, the Permanent Residence document is permanent if you are over the age of 60.  Plus in most cities, if you are over 60 all public transportation is free.

- This is well stated in the article but I want to emphasize that Rio is just not safe, about every other night on the news there will be reports of police and bandits or drug traffickers shooting at each other and it sounds like a war zone.  And this takes place very close to tourist locations such a Leme.

- Sometimes you are always going to look like a Gringo, I am 6'1" with sandy brown hair and blue eyes, there is no way no matter how low key I dress that anyone will think I am a Brazilian.  Of course, I speak enough Portuguese and when I start haggling about prices they know I am an expat but still robbers may target you no matter what you do.

First the over stay fee is much larger close to 1000 a day with no limit. The second if you are applying for permanent visa it depends where you apply. I applied at the federal police station. My Brazil wife had done some search and got most the document. I supplied a police report not in Portugaies. She had a local police report on me here. I had already a CTF number. I was married once before here in Brazil. It took 4 months I paid two fees total of about 360 Reas. When to local grocery store to pay the fee didn't have to go to Bank of Brazil. They gave me a 6 month extension. I had been here three month but was in compliance when I applied. It took 4 months to get my permit card no limitation I am over 60. My wife is very good how to work the system. She will help anyone for a fee

New Brazil, I think you added one too many zeros to the fine.  I looked it up and from what I saw it is now R$100 fine per day up to a max of R$10000.

When I overstayed the limit the fine was either R$8 or R$12 I cannot remember.  I typically only overstayed about 10 days at max.  At today's US Real exchange rate the fine is about $25 per day so again it would make sense for me to pay the fine especially since they kind of lose track of it sometimes.  I was staying in the Angra area so a trip to Brazil, if I used the bus, was long plus cab or another bus fare to the airport to see the Federal Police in the GIG airport.

Of course, if you knew you were going to overstay your Visa I think you could just stop by the Federal Police office in the GIG airport and get the approval then so no additional costs and I think up to six months would not be a problem.  I do wonder if the airline would book your ticket with a known itinerary that would overstay your Visa, but again for me that is no longer an issue.  Back when I did it there was not an issue with the airlines.

New Brazil, I also think your experience with a permanent residents card is not the typical one at least not for US citizens.  Perhaps marrying a Brazilian makes things simpler.  There is no way a US citizen while in the US could get a Permanent Residence card for anything like you did in Brazil.  I have traveled a lot and have done the research.  You could shave off about $500 from the expenses I paid if you were willing to spend days carrying your application through the closest Brazilian Consulate.

I am sorry but I really think your experience is the exception not the rule for other people applying for a Permanent Residents Brazilian Visa.  I think my experience is much more the norm.  I would suggest that you reconsider your advice as something that a typical applicant would ever experience.

My experience is real I am here in Brazil. I think every different location has different experience. I live in a small town if you come here we can help you get threw the process much quicker and will less stress. But if you like to deal with a more complicated way. Listen to the people who live in the big cities. Brazil is a country of who you know not what you are use to. The money I spent was Brazil reas not dollars. I am a US citizen I been coming to Brazil for close to 4 to 5 years.

I am a US citizens

Well, I am speaking as a US citizen that was in the US applying for a Permanent Resident Visa so what I experienced is much closer to what a typical US citizen is going to experience.  I have been visiting Brazil for about 15 years and applied for my Permanent Residents Visa about 4 years ago.

I am not trying to argue with you I am just stating this so that US citizens without a Brazilian spouse will have realistic expectations.  For a typical US citizen applying for their Permanent Residents Visa and their Permanent Resident ID card there are no shortcuts and the process is long and expensive and bureaucratic.   Your experience, which was good for you, is simply not what the typical applicant will experience.  Please do not mislead folks thinking that your experience is going to be typical for US citizens.

Most discussion of the old Permanent Visa (VIPER) issued through Brazilian Consulates is now beside the point, since the VIPER was abolished by the new Law of Migration that was enacted in the middle of last year, and went into full force last November. (VIPERs issued before that date were grandfathered, however, and continue to be valid.)  Under the new law, the Justice Ministry and the Foreign Ministry no longer share the authority to grant permanent residency:  it is completely the responsibility of the Justice Ministry, through the Federal Police, and can now only be granted WITHIN  Brazil, and no longer while the applicant is still abroad.  Bummer for people like us, but it makes administrative sense for Brazil to only have one system.
In place of the old VIPER, Brazilian Consulates now grant a temporary visa, VITEM XI, in order to allow foreigners with Brazilian spouses, domestic partners, or children to come into the country, and begin the Federal Police process.  The VITEM XI process is similar to the old VIPER process and, unless an applicant either lives very far away from the responsible Consulate, is an extreme technophobe, or needs detailed, personal guidance, I consider hiring a visa expediting company to be an enormous waste of time and money.  My visa process last year (one of the last VIPERs issued!) went like this:

-- 07/15/17 -- Married in Oak Park, IL
-- 08/02/17 -- Registered marriage at Brazilian Consulate General in Chicago
-- 08/05/17 -- Submitted all required visa documents electronically to the Ministry of Foreign Relations, from home
-- 08/10/17 -- In-person review of documents and payment of visa fee (US Postal Money Orders only) at Consulate General.  In at 10:00 AM, out before Noon, wait time included.
-- 08/24/17 -- Picked up passport and visa at Consulate General
On the other hand, I highly recommend using an FBI Approved Channeler for getting the FBI Criminal Background Check.  I requested it from the FBI the first week of June, and it finally arrived AFTER I had my visa.  I went to a Channeler on Friday, August 4, had the electronic copy the next morning, and the hard copy on the following Monday -- identical in every way (except the date, of course) to the one the FBI finally sent.  Pricey, but definitely worth it.

Here is my time line to get permanent residency. Arrived in Brazil November 24 2017 When to Federal Police in February 20 ,2018 to present my application for permanent resident. They processed it gave me a 6 month extension on my tourists visa. They stated my card should be back in three months but it took four months got it May 15 2018.  This was all done in Brazil. This is under there new system. My card came from Brazilia.

Brasilia? Great to see you guys getting through the system. Mine was in 2016 and beyond easy. Stamped "Permenente" in passport same day of appointment with all the proper paperwork of the time. Got my card about a month later.

Yes, I definitely agree with you about hiring an agency that assists with Permanent Visas.  I have a Pensioners Visa and lived about 4 hours away from the Consulate responsible for my location.  The trip plus fairly expensive hotel accommodations made choosing an agency the right answer.  I  had the same experience with Tourist Visas in the past.

The agency fee for a Permanent Residence is steep, maybe $400, it has been a while but I think that is what I paid.  And with all the fees involved including things like the fee to the FBI to expedite my criminal report the total I do remember was $1700 USD.

Once that is completed you will receive a document that you can take to the closest Delegacia da Polícia Federal, so you do not have to go to the main Federal Police office which in RJ is in the Rio Airport GIG.  I went to the Delegacia da Polícia Federal in Angra which was much closer.  You will for sure have to make a few trips because there is no really clear documentation for what has to be notarized and you will probably not have all the forms which the police will give you.  And in another comment, I mentioned a number of fees that must be paid for different parts of the approval process.  Unless you are fluent in Portugues bring a friend who is can help a lot.  Some of the officers spoke a little English but not enough to clearly explain all of the steps.  Also, the foto requirements are very specific so you must follow them like do not wear glasses, do not smile, etc and there is a unique size required as well.  And then eventually some office in some remote location will send you an official Pemanente Residence card (I think it is officially an RNE document).  Depending on the type of Visa and your age this Permanent Residence card may be good for life (I think 60 is the magic age), this may be the difference for other types of Permanent Residence cards.  Hopefully you get very friendly agents to help you like I did, they were interested in hearing about the US, and I just took my time and relaxed.  I had waited too long to apply so there was a fine that ultimately was never applied.   I think I made three trips total so we were always chatting a bit when I was there and I asked them a lot of questions about things they liked to do and where I should visit.  I had been using a Tourist Visa for a few years so I was familiar with the area which helped and I found a good foto shop for the photos and copies.

Good luck on getting your Visas.

Another document that you should have with you is a certified copy of your birth certificate that lists your parents' names.  You will need that for some things like a CPF application.  I have avoided getting one and seem to get along OK without it with a few exceptions.

NewBrazil

You and I bracketed the changeover:  I arrived on November 1 and went in to register on November 7, just before the change, and you changed your status shortly after.  My experience was like Craig's -- gave them the Protocolo from the Consulate and a copy of my passport, and they processed me on the spot.  They said that my card would take about three months, but I actually had it  in less than a month.

G2Txxx

Glad that you got the Pensioners' Visa while you could:  that's another one that was abolished with the new law, although those already granted continue to be valid.  You have an irreplaceable treasure there.

Could someone update what the changes are for Permanent Visa. It's been mentioned they have eliminated a couple categories. Thanks

I just tried to answer my our question
I don't see in this explanation a visa for Retired any more.
Residence Permit

The new law creates a residence permit available to all foreign nationals in Brazil, regardless of their immigration status (or entry visa).  With the elimination of the Permanent Visa Provision and the creation of the residence permit, foreigners wishing to reside in Brazil on a permanent basis while on a temporary visa or visitor visa may apply for a residence permit by complying with the required conditions outlined in Article 30. The new residence permit applies to those who wish to remain in Brazil for work, family reunion, research, teaching or research, health treatment, humanitarian efforts, investment or relevant economic, social, scientific, technological or cultural activities, as well as those who benefit from a treaty on residence and free movement regulations, such as Mercosur nationals. Processing of applications should be completed within 60 days.

Unfortunately James was murdered and seeing this thread gives me shivers. With all the great advice he gives, was there something missed. I am afraid to actually read it knowing the ending.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg