Planning to move to NZ from India

Hi,

I am HR Professional residing in India with 4+ years of experience in Recruitment and HR Operations.

I plan to pursue my Masters in Business/HRM from Massey University, NZ post which I would want to continue my journey in the Human Resources function in NZ itself.

I had a few questions in regards to the same -

1. Would my HR experience from back in India be considered?

2. Given the current job market in NZ, what would be the average salary of an HR Professional with my experience be?

3. How much on an average will I have to spend in a month on living expenses.

Regards,
Joshua Henry

No idea about question 1.

Question 2 Try www.payscale.com

Question 3 Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living  As a student you can only work 20 hours a week.

Thanks stumpy. The links help.

NZ is supposed is apparently one of the slower economies in the world. That said, the place is a beauty to live in.

There are many factors that is wanting me to think of NZ as my destination for post graduate studies.

Although my worry is that HR isn't on the list of skill shortage for 2014.

Is it true that locals would prefer to hire locals for HR related positions rather than look for immigrants? Does that mean I have a very bleak chance of getting a good role in the HR function?

Also i would end up spending a good 65K NZD to complete my course work. Hence it is a big risk if i dont end with a good job post graduation.

Do corporates offer internships to students during term breaks? Are they paid internships?

What other jobs can I take up to cover 20 hours a week and what would be the approx pay for such jobs.

Regards,
Joshua Henry

joshua_hr wrote:

Thanks stumpy. The links help.

NZ is supposed is apparently one of the slower economies in the world. That said, the place is a beauty to live in.

There are many factors that is wanting me to think of NZ as my destination for post graduate studies.

Although my worry is that HR isn't on the list of skill shortage for 2014.

Is it true that locals would prefer to hire locals for HR related positions rather than look for immigrants? Does that mean I have a very bleak chance of getting a good role in the HR function?

Also i would end up spending a good 65K NZD to complete my course work. Hence it is a big risk if i dont end with a good job post graduation.

Do corporates offer internships to students during term breaks? Are they paid internships?

What other jobs can I take up to cover 20 hours a week and what would be the approx pay for such jobs.

Regards,
Joshua Henry

The NZ economy is getting along nicely.
Yes HR is not on the skills shortage list so your job chances are zero.
Yes companies will hire locals first.
It is indeed a big financial risk but you need to weigh that up against whether you would ever get such as good a qualification elsewhere. NZ qualifications are internationally recognized. 
I do not know of paid or unpaid corporate internship for students but there may well be. If there was then such students would have to be exceptionally qualified.
Jobs would be as cleaner, shop assistant, supermarket worker, laborer. No idea about pay rates but a Google search should help you.

HR is not in skill shortage in New Zealand. Also, HR are the last people companies hire in New Zealand. Do check out seek.co.nz and NZ Herald jobs. Housing is very very expansive in Auckland and all the beautiful places where you like to be close to the nature don't have jobs. You are better off spending your $$ somewhere else so that you get a good return on your investment.

Average living cost would be 1500$ per month including rent, food, internet etc...try living in city itself to cut down the cost of travel...as well you can search jobs...please contact placement agencies before arrival so to have an idea about job market situation. ..I m in IT field..I don't h an idea abt HR