Planning on moving to Chiang Mai by year's end...

Hi all,

I'm sort of in the same mindset as Jpizza.  I'm an American living in Pennsylvania, USA, and am strongly considering moving to CM by the end of this year.  I'm retired from the USAF, over 50, so I could get resident status.  I spent a month in Jomtien two years ago, and it's just too hot that far south.

I'm hoping to connect with someone who would be willing to help me make my transition easier.  I've been looking on Craigslist to get an idea of apartment rental prices, but Craigslist is, well, Craigslist.

I've done a lot of research into moving/living in Thailand already.  I only have to wrap things up here in the US, then I'm prepared to buy my ticket (one way?), and I'll be on my way.

I have a few questions, though:

- I assume I'd stay in a guest house until I find a place to rent?
- Is Thailand like South Korea where you pay a full years rent up-front, or is it one months rent with a security deposit, with monthly rental charges?
- To get retiree permanent resident status, do I need to get a complete physical?  Do I get that in the US or Thailand?
- What's the best/cheapest way to get from BKK to CM?  Doesn't have to be quickest.
- I don't plan on owning a car or scooter, and I like restaurants/pubs.  What part of CM has them and other things like supermarkets/mall within walking distance?

I really hope I can get answers to these questions and any other info you might think important for me to know.  I appreciate any assistance provided....

Hewmundi wrote:

Hi all,

I'm sort of in the same mindset as Jpizza.  I'm an American living in Pennsylvania, USA, and am strongly considering moving to CM by the end of this year.  I'm retired from the USAF, over 50, so I could get resident status.  I spent a month in Jomtien two years ago, and it's just too hot that far south.

I'm hoping to connect with someone who would be willing to help me make my transition easier.  I've been looking on Craigslist to get an idea of apartment rental prices, but Craigslist is, well, Craigslist.

I've done a lot of research into moving/living in Thailand already.  I only have to wrap things up here in the US, then I'm prepared to buy my ticket (one way?), and I'll be on my way.

I have a few questions, though:

- I assume I'd stay in a guest house until I find a place to rent?
- Is Thailand like South Korea where you pay a full years rent up-front, or is it one months rent with a security deposit, with monthly rental charges?
- To get retiree permanent resident status, do I need to get a complete physical?  Do I get that in the US or Thailand?
- What's the best/cheapest way to get from BKK to CM?  Doesn't have to be quickest.
- I don't plan on owning a car or scooter, and I like restaurants/pubs.  What part of CM has them and other things like supermarkets/mall within walking distance?

I really hope I can get answers to these questions and any other info you might think important for me to know.  I appreciate any assistance provided....

Best you visit CM for say 2 weeks and get a feel for the place before committing yourself. You can check out expat hangouts, look over accommodations etc.

You might get refuse to go on plane from USA If you only have 1 way ticket, Some Air plane company say NO NO to that.
Better check that before trying it out, it is easy to buy ticket out of Thailand before coming here to one of the neighbor country (1000-2000 baht) if need.

Start on a 90 days NoN O "retirement", That you can change in the last 30 days to a 1 year Extension "retirement" if you can meet the requirement, 50 years or more, 65.000 baht pr month income, 800.000 baht in a Thai bank, or a combo of the 2 things.
When apply for the 1 year inside Thailand, The requirement are "easy" and cheaper to do.

There is good VIP bus to CM around 12-13 hours, same for Train, And you have the option for airplane all so, airplane cost around same up to 500 baht more, if you buy airplane ticket Bangkok - CM in good time there is normal some kind of promotion.

For rent when time come, it is "normal" to pay 2 month deposits and first month ahead so a total of 3 month up front.
Be sure you pay you power and water direct to the company or you " might" get scam on the unite price.
Rent you can get cheaper if 12 month contract, be 100% sure you have one you trust to help you out that read Thai and can translate it to you before sign contract, So you know what you sign up for, Don´t trust landlord word alone.
Not all landlord make contract in English, Mine contract have all ways being in Thai.

Resident status is not that easy as one might thing, you can read about it here (hope ok to post link for other side)

Qualifications

Other then that, i hope you enjoy live here in Thailand, it is a great country.

Kindly.

Thanks, NDT, good info, especially the stuff about one-way flight restrictions.  Having been to Thailand before, I'm 99% positive about living there, so that's not an issue with me.  I've lived outside of the U.S. for numerous years, so I'm sort of used to the cultural differences one can experience.  I really appreciate you taking the time to provide so much detailed information!

Hi NeverDoneThat. For people applying for retirement visa with required 65000THB monthly income or deposit of 800000THB is that per person and double the amount for a couple? I read about a lot of expats living in a $1200 budget.

@DearEmma615...The required 65000THB and/or deposit of 800000THB is also the amount for couples. Once one person has the retirement visa, the spouse can "piggyback" on it as a dependent. We retired to Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. I have a retirement visa and my wife is my dependent.

As far as living on $1200 budget is concerned, that would be quite difficult. It is true that rent can be quite inexpensive, especially for small studio apartments or condos. Food is also inexpensive but only if you stay away from any imported items and international restaurants. However, when you add in other monthly expenses such as healthcare insurance, and any type of entertainment or travel, the total adds up quite quickly.

Hewmundi wrote:

Chiang Mai is a beautiful city but if you limit your choice as above you will end up in the city center, that depends on what you are looking for, it can be noisy and high pollution,, there are many others places in Chiang Mai closer to the mountain, nature, .... distance to drive is never that long to reach a Big C, Tesco Lotus, Makro or a shopping Mall, or any proximity shops or local market.

Hewmundi wrote:

Yes this website is not too bad but there are many others websites, did you check the housing section in Expat.com : https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/t … -rent.html

you might find something or just get an idea of price

Price will vary a lot depending on location, depending if it is gated or not gated area, etc... many parameters will enter into consideration in the price, Doi Saket or Mae Rim is not the price of Hang Dong for example,,, but if you like nature you will have bigger land in Mae Rim or Doi Saket than Hang Dong for the same price.

Hewmudi, if you give me your personal E-Mail address I believe we can help you a lot. We moved here 16 months ago from San Francisco California, my wife is Thai but she lived in the US for almost 40 years, and has family in Thailand. We could not afford to continue to live on our retirement in California, so figured we would make the move, we had been coming on vacation here for many years and were pretty sure it was where we wanted to retire. we were just up in Chiang Mai in March for a week, it was durning the time that they burn the rice fields, and it was just to smoggy to enjoy yourself very much, so bad that when you are in downtown you can't even see the mountain. If i was you I would live there 6 months & live somewhere else 6 months, airfare is very cheap 30-50 dollars.  I would suggest Hua Hin as it is a very nice retirement community with a a lot of nice Expats, very low key, relaxing, and easy to find a place to live. When ever you live in town it will be more expensive, but if you want to be close to everything and not use a car or motor scooter you will pay more for rent.  I can go on & on with information for you, if you would like to get in touch with me privately I believe I can help you, Good Luck to you. Welcome to Thailand. Patrick  [email protected]

I relocated to Chiang Mai (CNX) 12+ years ago.

Great choice.

But, things change - traffic jams, pollution etc.

Why not give Chiang Rai a look?