Car rentals

We are flying into Cancun. American Car rental does allow it vehicles to go into Belize. Does anyone know of any other car rentals that let you go between countries?

I have just done some research, Crystal rentals allow you to go over the Mexico boarder and Guatemala. Google search them and have a read.

Hi All, my husband and I are coming to Belize to take a look around for about 2 months before we move here to retire. We will be travelling to Corozal, Hopkins, St Ignacio and a few other places. What would be the cheapest way to get around. Hiring a car appears to be quite expensive. Is there the opportunity to give a local some money to borrow there car?? Would we get cheaper car rental when we get there?? Appreciate your help

I was wondering the same thing about car rentals. When we visit, we want to have the freedom of having a car to look at properties and to see more of the country. From what I have seen on the Internet, renting a car would cost more than our accommodations! Is there a more affordable option or is the bus the only other alternative? Thanks!

Several of the Cancun (maybe most?) allow cars to go into Belize.   For families it has been cheaper, in the past, to get the cheap airfare into Cancun on multiple passengers, then rent a car to go see Belize.
The road is not great, but passable.  You can get from Cancun into Belize in an easy day, then move around from there.
Not sure about price comparison but I think cars are cheaper per day in Mexico than they are in Belize.

The bus in Belize is not the best way to see Belize unless you have lots and lots of time and plenty of patience.   The Belize bus system is old school buses,   seats are not great. The buses are not air conditioned and they stop a lot!

If you are willing to take a little risk, you can get to Belize City without an advance reservation and then haggle with the car rental companies at the airport for a better deal.  This would work if you are in off season,  not Jan -April.   If you reserve online with Hertz, or Budget, they are only fronting for a local company.  The major car rentals do not have actual offices in Belize.   They contract with a local provider.
Be prepared that the rental cars are not like the U.S.  Cars are older, high miles,  usable but just not plush.

As you plan trips, there is a highway on the maps called Coastal Highway, also know as Manatee highway, from Belomopan to Dangriga.    This is 37 miles of unpaved road.  Can't be driven in Rainy season and the car rentals specifically forbid taking a rental on this road.   (In dry season it is a beautiful drive!)