Car purchase

I'm not sure if I should start this as a new topic or add on to the car buying thread.

My husband and I purchased a  car 10 days or so after we arrived in San Juan. We took the advice offered here and used clasificadosonline and craigslist to find a used car. We also visited several car dealers and looked at their used cars. Eventually we chose an older SUV from a private seller. We made it a part of the deal that the owner go with us to transfer the title and to register the car. She agreed to go with us and I am SO GLAD we did it that way, it took 4 hours altogether and it would have taken us far longer if we had to do it on our own.

We have had pretty good luck getting some minor repairs done at Pep Boys, if anyone has other auto repair/parts dealers to recommend please do so!

Thanks to all -- this forum has made our move to PR much easier than it might have been.

Good to hear that it worked out good!

Pep boys is OK. The two other main part store chains (AutoZone and Advance Autoparts are good, too) You can easily compare prices for parts between these three online.

Many smaller repair shops and/or shade tree mechanics can be a good choice but at the same time I have to warn for what they call here "truqueros". They are playing tricks on you to get money out of your pocket. For instance they don't put the new part in but a used part and charge you for the new part anyway. Or they take a good part out of your car and put an old, bad part instead and when you come to get the car they show you that the part is bad and needs to be replaced. When you agree to have that done they put your good part back in and make you pay for a new one.
How to avoid this? It's virtually impossible because you would need to be with the car and the mechanic while they have the car in their shop. Either go to a well known chain like Pep Boys etc. even though they might make you do/pay more than you wanted or needed or do your own maintenance and repairs.
I am doing a lot to my vehicles myself in the mean time. I used to do that when I was in college because I couldn't afford to pay a shop so I'm refreshing my old skills. :)
F.i. I fixed an electrical problem in my wife's car after I paid three car electricians a total of $ 1,000 without having the problem fixed. It took me 5 or six days but now the car is running like new.  I also do regular maintenance like oil change etc. myself.

That is great, dumplingmx!

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I bought a car using clasificadosonline too.

We had a rental car for a week, found a car that met our budget and engaged the owner.

We went with the owner to the Colucturia which was an action you should be sure to require when buying the car.

We signed over the title at that office and paid the seller after the title was in our name.

We then went a few days later to another office in which we got our own title.

Now we're leaving the island and we're prepared to do it again.

I recommend this over shipping a car here. It's easier this way and there is less down time.

:)

Hello I will be moving in a few months will need a car when I get there thanks for info.. What is colocturia ?????

Colecturia = office of dept. de hacienda where among other things you can transfer a car in your name. You have to go there with the 'old' owner and both of you need to bring a photo ID. Any not paid tickets will have to be paid then and there (by the 'old' owner) before the transfer will be done.

The other office that was mentioned is DTOP (Departamento de Transportacion y Obras Publicas). With the papers you get in the colecturia you will obtain a title for the car in your name in the DTOP office. The old owner doesn't need to go there with you.

Make sure you only pay the car after the transfer in the colecturia.  Colecturias are in (almost?) every municipality.

If you follow this procedure you only have to worry about the technical state of the car. :D

Here's a list of colecturias: http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/sobre-h … olecturias

Thank you for info