Area to live in Hanoi?

I'm an Irish guy moving to Hanoi for work. I've been to Hanoi before, but only as a tourist. Does anyone have any suggestions of where's a good place to live (or where's NOT a good area)?  I'll be working in the Tay Ho area, but I was thinking that it would be nice to live close to the Old Quarter or Hoam Kim Lake, but that's based on my previous visit as a tourist. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendtions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much

Paul

Hello my name is Ray Ray, I'm 26 from the states here to teach english and would like to teach yoga . I also am looking for a place to rent in old quarter or French quarter or any other suggestions.. If u are interested in rooming or have any suggestions too that would be great

Hi Paul and Ray ray,

Welcome on board :)

I invite both of you to please post an advert in the Properties for rent in Hanoi section as it might help regarding accommodation :)

Thank you and good luck with house hunt :)

Maximilien

If u're going to work in Tay Ho district, I recommend u to find an apartment located in Au Co str, Lac Long Quan str. Lots of foreigners chose to stay in these streets because it's really convenient to go to the Old Quarter and the other places in the centre of Hanoi. Besides, it's quite near West Lake where u can enjoy the beautiful night sightseeing or just simply get the fresh air. In shorts, everything is convenient if staying in these streets :)
G'luck!

Hi Paul,

You can refer an apartment at Dang Thai Mai Str, i've found that there are many expats living there.

Old quarter is a good place for tourist, but for long time living, I don't recommend this area.

Regards/ Lyn

I totally agree that Old quarter not for long time living and that a place between old quarter and west lake maybe the ideal thing to do. You will have the best of both world, closeness to most activities.

I agree, for long term, you will find Tay Ho area a bit nicer to live in, more space, (relatively) fresher air, nicer neighborhood, and more services available (western grocery, restaurants, gym, etc.) It's also only about 10-15 mins ride to Hoan Kiem area.

I have friends living in Dong Da District, around the Temple of Literature. Lower rents, cheaper food, middle of the city and very local.

Not easy to find in the Old Quarter, around Hoan Kiem ! Houses are small and generally completely occupied by a family and, if you find one, it is premium area so rentals are expensive (or horrible). Tay Ho is easier ; many young expats share apartments ; another advantage ; it has become the "IN" district, which means a lot of restaurants, bars, discos, etc.

If you type "Rental apartments Hanoi" on Google, you will have all kinds of good addresses

I am living in Ha Dong District, Euro village.

Nice and peaceful neighbourhood here.

Feel free to drop by, anyone, anytime.

Cheers! :D

Pablo has found an apartment in Truc Bach area. :)

I personally don't really like Hoan Kiem area, Tay ho is nice, but that traffic!! well anywhere in the center you encounter massive amounts of traffic :/
I do like My Dinh area, only problem is that freaking skytrain building sites are choking the traffic really bad.

Hi Paul,

Pleasure to know that you have found Ha noi a nice city to stay :-) We have a house for rent located in To Ngoc Van street, Tay Ho district .You are working in Tay Ho area so you might know that the street is very well-known for having a high standard, nice and decent living environment for expats, pretty convenient to access market, local pubs. restaurants, hospital,etc.
The house is originally French designed with 4 storeys, 5 bedrooms with privately combined bathrooms and toilets, a spacious living room, kitchen and will be well fully furnished. We offer a good price. If you are interested pls feel free to contact me (I am the owner of the house, not an agent) and feel welcome to have a look at the house anytime at your convenience.

Many thanks for anyone reading this :-) :up::proud

Hello Paul,
You might have found a place to settle by now. If not, here is another option:
An apartment in Thuy Khue street (just 5 minutes drive to old quarter, walking distance to Mausolem, close to Ho Tay). Sharing basic. One room has two single bed, bathtub and western style toilet.  House situated in very quite corner. Reasonable rental fee. 
If you are interested, please contact me back.
Thank you,
Nam

Hello Raul,
Welcome to Vietnam. :)
It would be great to help you. I can guide you where should you live and help finding the most suitable apartment for you without any fee.  Don't hesitate to contact me via skype: ngan.pham9212.

Cheers,

Hi Jackie -

I am thinking about moving into Hanoi in January 2016.

Would you like to tell me about your house there?

Thank you so much,
Freddy

Hi Jackie -

I am thinking about moving into Hanoi in January 2016.

Would you like to tell me about your house there?

Thank you so much,
Freddy

Jackie Dang wrote:

Hi Paul,

Pleasure to know that you have found Ha noi a nice city to stay :-) We have a house for rent located in To Ngoc Van street, Tay Ho district .You are working in Tay Ho area so you might know that the street is very well-known for having a high standard, nice and decent living environment for expats, pretty convenient to access market, local pubs. restaurants, hospital,etc.
The house is originally French designed with 4 storeys, 5 bedrooms with privately combined bathrooms and toilets, a spacious living room, kitchen and will be well fully furnished. We offer a good price. If you are interested pls feel free to contact me (I am the owner of the house, not an agent) and feel welcome to have a look at the house anytime at your convenience.

Many thanks for anyone reading this :-) :up::proud

Hello
I want learn english. Could you to teach me

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share personal contact infos on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Hi I think you should live in Tay Hồ areas  better
Welcome to Hanoi again.
BB

anthuy wrote:

Hi I think you should live in Tay Hồ areas  better
Welcome to Hanoi again.
BB

Think he might have found somewhere by now & probably been & gone, 2015 is date on his post.