I have got some questions to ask

I have been offered a position in cameroon as a construction manager,  I have a couple of questions I would like answering before I commit.
1    visas, work permits etc. I have been asked to pay €299 for these, is this standard procedure?
2   what is the general cost of accommodation, and living?
3   my security, I hear a lot about terrorism etc.

I hope some one can answer these, and possibly more questions, before I pursue this position any further

many thanks in advance

bobhughes wrote:

I have been offered a position in cameroon as a construction manager,  I have a couple of questions I would like answering before I commit.
1    visas, work permits etc. I have been asked to pay €299 for these, is this standard procedure?
2   what is the general cost of accommodation, and living?
3   my security, I hear a lot about terrorism etc.

I hope some one can answer these, and possibly more questions, before I pursue this position any further

many thanks in advance

Welcome to EB......

Please read through the posts in  the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page. The information you are looking for may be there. 

Regarding being asked to pay for your visa I would suggest that this is not normal. Anywhere I have worked around the world the visa costs are covered by the employer. 

Also travel, medical insurance, accommodation, transport costs need to be taken into consideration so I would be asking your employer for a written contract covering all these things.

For cost of living also try www.numbeo.com  this site also gives details regarding safety, crime etc.

Hi bobhughes,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Cameroon forum for more visibility and interaction with the other members.

Thanks

Priscilla :)

Hi Priscilla,
This is not the normal procedure, your employer is supposed to cover visa and travel cost and depending on the arrangement you can find accommodation once you are here if you are supposed to pay yourself.
the general cost of accommodation is about 500USD for non furnished apartments and 2000USD for furnished apartments in expat areas where security is ensured. As concerns living cost is 500-1000USD depending on your preferences.
I believe security is a call for concern in all countries not only in cameroon. you just need to be careful in the things you and the places you visit.

Best regards,
mebah.

Hello markmeb,

Priscilla is member of the Expat-Blog team.

She is just informing that she has created a new thread so that the initiator can have more interactions.

Thank you,
Marjorie :)