Why Dom Buonamici's Beach House Will Be a Ranch-Style 3BR/2BA

I would never build a house from scratch, or recommend it to any Expat.  Too much trouble, too much could go wrong.

But that's just me.  Maybe YOU would enjoy the challenge and the chance to create your own oceanview dream house in Ecuador.

That's what Expat entrepreneur Dom Buonamici plans to do* in Puerto Cayo, now that he's figured out that flipping existing houses is not the big-time moneymaker it once appeared to be.

Dom is sharing some of his choices for the new beach house, which may be of interest to you dreamers.  Dom is obviously thinking in terms of re-sale value.

Here are those choices and his reasons behind them:

Three bedrooms/two baths -- A retired Expat couple may not strictly need so many bedrooms,  but can use the extra space as a guest room and/or an office or "storage den."

Spacious kitchen with island -- Important for entertaining and extra space.

Laundry room with direct access to exterior -- Easy access to hanging clothes on an outdoor clothesline like the locals do.  He'll keep the washing machine indoors to protect against the effects of the salt air.

Indoor dining room with sliding glass doors leading to a patio with BBQ area -- Take advantage of the ocean view.

Ranch-style (one floor only) -- No stairs to challenge "older folks."

Raised floor of house -- Raised by one meter so that a two-meter fence does not block the view from the house of the Pacific Ocean.

Spanish-style roof -- That's what's expected in the area.

Tiled floors -- Best option at the beach due to humidity.  Easy to clean. 

Carpeting?  Says Dom: "Forget about it."

*As just announced in an e-mailing to subscribers of Dom's website ecuadorrealestate.org

Disclaimer:  This poster strongly recommends against violating the #1 rule for newly-arrived Expats..."Never buy or build property in Ecuador before living in the area for at least one year."  (To reach one year's time may require multiple trips to La República.)

Most of what Dom said seems spot on, but in my opinion his choice of beach towns is terrible.

I'll be building in Canoa soon if everything goes as planned. I'm not building to sell, so I'm going with a 3 story house for my family and several studio apartments for rentals. I'm expecting my project to come in at about 25% over the quoted price. I'll be doing the electrical myself and will have Ecuadorian family supervising the contractor.

I would not attempt this project without an extremely tough Ecuadorian wife and an Ecuadorian father-in-law that was a mechanical engineer both helping to keep the project from going sideways.