Ophthalmologist needed.

I'm looking for a good ophthalmologist in the metro area for an exam and toric lens fitting. First hand knowledge of the practice would be great. Thank You! Karen

Hi Karen:

Not sure if this will help much, but as a military dependent, I use SALUS.  It's on the border of Bayamón and Guaynabo, and is the only clinic in PR that's certified by the Mayo Clinic Care Network.  It's a one-stop-shop for all medical/dental/healthcare needs.

I've had fairly good experiences there - hope this helps!

Trekrider,

Thanks for that info, good to know. Did you see the opthamologist when you were there? Can civilians use their services? Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen:

I didn't use an ophthalmologist there - just a general physician, laboratory services, and a dentist.  Absolutely - civilians can go there.  Check out their website - it's in English as well as Spanish.

Best of luck with your research.

Ok, thanks, I will, cheers, Karen

Hello again,

I was wondering if I could trouble you with one more question. I need to see a GP soon but don't have insurance yet. Do you remember their rates at Salus?

Karenqc wrote:

Hello again,

I was wondering if I could trouble you with one more question. I need to see a GP soon but don't have insurance yet. Do you remember their rates at Salus?

Hi Karen,
I don't know the rates - sorry. I have TRICARE and everything is handled through them.  I don't even get any sort of statement or receipt when I leave.

Perhaps the BEST on the island is Dr. Maria H Berrocal Fernandez MD   a full service office but be prepared for long wait times.  www.vistaophthalmic.com/.../dra-maria-h-berrocal-re...   We were actually referred to her by a Dr. in New York.
Ashford Optical is a good choice if you need an optometrist and she can refer you to an ophthalmologist if necessary.

They all speak fluent English and Spanish.

Ok thanks Trekrider, I have an appt this week so I guess we'll just bite the bullet and find out. Cheers.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep her on file just in case. I already have an appt Tues with Salus. Cheers, Karen