Cost of living in Iceland – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Iceland in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Iceland you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Iceland?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Accommodation prices
The renting market in Reykjavík is insane. Partly because of bad (or no) city planning, partly because people rent out to tourists via AirBnB (tine.pagekite.me/?viewDetailed=00120), a website I came to detest when looking for a flat.
For 60m² we pay 175.000kr, or 1.180€ without electricity. My flatmate wrote a post on her blog (wollegras.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/why-iceland-isnt-perfect-either/) about our renting situation, which is sadly typical for Iceland.

Public transportation fares
Public transportation inside Reykjavík is provided by Straetó. A single ride costs 400kr (2.50€), monthly pass 10.900kr (70€). Strætó as a company is worth a separate rant.

Food prices (your monthly budget)
The government has just increased the tax on food to 12%, to pay for the housing loan dept reduction plan they had won the election with. Though the money was supposed to come from assets sold from nationalized banks, they noticed how unrealistic this plan was and instead let the burden of the dept reduction for housing owners fall on the poorest.
In short, food is expensive and dumpster diving (tine.pagekite.me/?viewDetailed=00137) surprisingly common.
My monthly budget is: 20.000kr (130€)

Health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
Iceland has an NHS style healthcare system. There is a 1000kr out of pocket payments for doctor visits and medicine is paid out of pocket until the costs per patient per year exceed 22.000kr, then the insurance pays 85%. A package of penicillin, for example costs around 3000kr (20€). Dentists are not covered via the NHS, because reasons.

Education prices
Lower education (primary and high school) is free. Yearly registration fee for the University of Iceland is 75.000kr (500€). They have some Icelandic courses for foreigners. Icelandic courses in private language schools cost for example 40.000kr (270€) for 60 hours.

Energy prices
Hot water and heating is usually included in housing prices. My electricity bill (3 people) this month was around 4000kr (25€).

Common bills (Internet, mobile phone)
Internet bill is dependent on your download rate or speed rate. We pay 8000kr for 100GB at a speed of 100MB/s
Unlimited at the same speed is 11.000kr
My monthly mobile phone bill is around 2000kr (14€).

Fun!
Price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: The last time I went out eating I went to Ban Thai (banthai.is/). I love this restaurant, best Thai food I ever had and founded 26 years ago, when Asian food was basically unknown in Iceland and the owner simply refused to cook anything but traditional Thai (none of the "Western Asian grub" here). A dish is around 2000kr (12€).

Price for a coffee or a drink: I remember the good old times, when beer cost 500kr. Now this is the price for a coffee. Beer is 700 to 1000kr.

Price for cinema tickets: Normal: 1300kr(9€) 3D:2600kr(18€)

After all this bitching I have to say something positive: Swimming pools are awesome in Iceland! You can soak the whole day in a hot pot for the price of a coffee. And there will probably even be free coffee. My tip for living in Iceland: Move your lazy ass and go swimming!