Safety and Security in and around Beirut

I do not want to sound insensitive. So please do not get me wrong.
I have booked my flights and hotel in Harma for my first ever visit to Beirut (between the 26th October and the 4th November). Given the current situation in the neighbouring countries, and also the rise of ISIS, some of my Lebanese friends are urging me to cancel my trip. They are saying that Beirut is not safe, especially in the Harma region. One of them suggested I cancel my hotel booking in Hamra and try to find accommodation in Achrafieh.
I need your honest opinion about the situation. Is it really unsafe in Beirut these days?
I apologise for this post. I didn't intend to offend anyone. So forgive me if I did. But I am concerned about my safety and that of my friends I will be visiting.
Thanks.
Charlo

Those who told you to cancel your trip are indeed fooling you.and those who told you to book
In ashrafyii are fooling you again.  Ashrafyii is only one kilometer away from hamra. Beirut is lovely beirut is fun . Come to beirut you will enjoy it indeed

Thanks Moonlightmylight for your reply.
I won't say they are fooling me. I would say they are concerned...very concerned...maybe over protective. And this is the exact reason why I posted my message here...to get objective information since no one here knows me personally. Since they know me, they tend to be over concerned.
I also thought that moving from Hamra to Achrafieh would not make much of a difference. But I shared what I have been told.
Thanks once again. And yes, I am coming to Beirut and will enjoy it as much as I can.
Regards,
Charlo

I don't think the security situation is bad enough for you to cancel your trip to Lebanon.  I am a female and I regularly walk around the city, often alone, wherever I go.  Hamra is probably a place to use caution, as it tends to have more nightclubs and is generally a bit wilder.  Although Achrafieh is only a short distance away, the difference is equivalent to going "to the other side of the railroad tracks," if I can use an American expression.  If your family is concerned, maybe rebook your hotel, but don't cancel your trip.

Hamra  and ashrafieh are  among  the safest places in Lebanon
No worry Lebanon is safe
the press exaggerates too much
you'll love your stay
make sure you taste the Lebanese food
it's the best in the world

HappyWife and MARC0000,
Thanks for your comments and for your reassurance.
I created a blog where I am - and will be - posting my reflections, comments and progress about my long-awaited trip. In one of my blogs (posted last night) I wrote exactly what you have just said.
I have no intention of cancelling the trip unless things get a turn to the worse. And one of the main highlights of my journey will be to indulge in Lebanese food.
I'd like to invite you to visit my blog, http://lebanon.charloseychell.eu, and would appreciates your comments (I'd love to hear your views).
Thanks once again.
Charlo

Hi
I have also heard so many things because of ISIS and syrian unrest. Can you help me to understand how are things in beirut. How safe is this place for an Indian? What sort of precaution we need to take as I would be coming with my family.
Thanks
Ajay

Ajay,
I checked the Maltese Foreign Affairs' website for travel advise. There are several warnings, but none about travelling to Lebanon. This means that the risks are low.
I will keep an eye on the website. Should anything alarming crops up, I post a message here.
In the meantime, you could check with your authorities.
Regards,
Charlo

life is normal in beirut and most of lebanon
traffic and night life...
there are unsafe regions in lebanon just like any other country
those regions are far from beirut
nothing to  worry about

Hi Ajay,
Most of the Indians in Lebanon are either domestic helpers or gas station workers.  As such, many of the locals have built up somewhat of a prejudiced thinking that ALL Indians are of the same station in life.  The worst problem you will have if you come is perhaps some people will expect you to open the door or carry their groceries for them.  Don't be offended at it; come anyways and enjoy your trip.  I don't believe and Indian would be in any more danger than anyone else.

Thanks Happy Wife
It would really be very different experience. Apart from local prejudice, which I need to deal with, do you forsee any other issue related with safety given isis and syrian unrest.
For this prejudice as well, are you saying senior professionals are also treated like that. Do you think local people will have issues in obeying an Indians?
Thanks
Ajay

Thanks MARC0000
Your reply is encouraging.  Feeling better. 
Thanks
Ajay

Thanks chseychell
I am keeping a keen eye on all development and would post any information  here which I get.
Ajay

Ajay,
You may also check my blog http://lebanon.charloseychell.eu for the latest development.
Regards,
Charlo

hi every one just want ask how is Lebanon those days is fighting finished or not

I have been living in Lebanon for the past 17 years, I dont have this fear, I love it