Top 5 tips to live in Oman

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Oman.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Oman?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Oman!

Thank you in advance :)

Please find it in my blog:
thefitexpat.com/2015/03/a-guide-to-oman-for-beginners.html

:) Thanks!
Vhie

I've been here for about 2 months now, and here are some quick tips:

1) Get your driving licence ASAP and rent or buy a car - taxis are unmetered, and the getting a good cab driver is like playing roulette!
2) Time your move during winter. It makes it a lot easier to go house-hunting, shopping while you set up home. Get out of the house as much as you can during the pleasant winter months - it's lovely weather and there's a lot to see.
3) Live in a building or area with people of the same wavelength - if you have kids - find a house where there are other kids around. Makes it easier to make new friends.
4) Be open-minded - try local food, local pastimes - you will find it easier to adapt.
5) Things that you take for granted in your home country - online shopping, instant internet connection - not so easy here. Be prepared and make the most of it.

Dressing properly, neither pants short or blouses without sleeves.

First days, For having lunch, I think must be better fast food than try at restaurants

If you come from an accelerated country take it easy because  here people is very relaxed.

Many things are banned but you should relax and then, you will accept them faster than you thought.

Fridays is the most quiet day. Please, you do not get frightened because there are not people on streets, they will go out after midday

Checklist. If the experts, with their own experience,  can help us newbies with the list of things/ documents/ etc one should bring along when moving to Oman.. Like dish tv set top box/ attested marriage certificate etc...

Thnx

svapour wrote:

Checklist. If the experts, with their own experience,  can help us newbies with the list of things/ documents/ etc one should bring along when moving to Oman.. Like dish tv set top box/ attested marriage certificate etc...

Thnx

Hi svapour,

All that would be essential for a new expatriate / one getting ready to become an expatriate have mostly been covered and discussed in some detail here in the forum.

But they are all not found in one place and under one topic of course. The information are all scattered under various topics and there are numerous useful contributions from different users.

Those who are keen on finding all the information that they need have only to do a site search using relevant key words and they can find enough and more information in the forum.

To compile all queries and comments would be a rather difficult task for the members here, as it demands a lot of time and effort. Since the contributions here are purely voluntary it would be unfair to expect the forum members to comply with your request for a ready reckoner.

Dear Sumitran

Thank you for the revert and I appreciate your contribution at various threads every time.

I also understand that this is  voluntary forum and that many things are posted at various forums. I guess this is  reason why the admin started a new thread with this title. So that this thread can be akin to COL thread.

Hence I requested if you all can, if time permits, put down important things from your experience.

Once again I, and If I may speak for all the prospective expats, are grateful for your advise on various issues.

Regards

Add www. befor thefitexpat.com/2015/03/a-guide-to-oman-for-beginners.html

Hi I see mostly the response are so frightening when it comes to moving to Oman to note on women dressings, expat women employment is like out of the world question?  Children education not at par with other countries, license issue and transportation bugs... BAND'S ...so can anybody tell me even after facing difficulties in all such basic things in Oman and it's just a cake walk in our own country then y do you all still be there. It's so contradictory to me.

Dear Usha1,

The life in our countries must be easier for ourselves, because we have lived in there, but when you go out, everything looks so different and complicated, that you will begin to  compare your country with Oman.  However when you reached adapting to the new change, really you can see the live of different point of view and you will learn to be respectful with the new environment.

I said my top five, because for me it was completely new, but maybe for you is a little different from your country.

Anyway, I love Oman after 3 years that  I have been living in there. For example I have learned to eat different kind of food, that I will miss when I leave  Oman, though I hated it before.

You also will love Oman!

Availability of Structural Engineering jobs (Civil)

usha1 wrote:

Hi I see mostly the response are so frightening when it comes to moving to Oman to note on women dressings, expat women employment is like out of the world question?  Children education not at par with other countries, license issue and transportation bugs... BAND'S ...so can anybody tell me even after facing difficulties in all such basic things in Oman and it's just a cake walk in our own country then y do you all still be there. It's so contradictory to me.

Since this being my 1,000th post, I want to make it really worthwhile for all those who read this.

Always remember there are 2 sides to a coin. In life nothing can remain forever good, or it cannot stay forever bad. And living in Oman is no different.

A general rule of the thumb is that people would naturally get attracted to things which are good for them and would abstain from things which aren't really good.

Going by the vast numbers of expatriates who have made Oman their (temporary) home, this is proof enough that the Sultanate is definitely and undoubtedly a very good place to be.

Perhaps the single biggest attraction for any expatriate to be in Oman is the high exchange value of its currency, the Omani Rial.

Following very close to this huge benefit could only be the 100% tax free earning. So whatever an expatriate earns here, the expatriate keeps. No splitting anything from it with the government, or the company, or whosoever else. Also if they so wish, nothing stops an expatriate from transferring 100% of his / her earnings back home, unlike in many other countries.

The third biggest benefit and advantage of living in Oman has to be its high standards of living. Unlike in most Asian countries, in Oman there is no such thing as a ‘power cut' ! Many Omanis do not even know what that actually means ! There is no water scarcity or shortage. The road networks and tarmac quality are impeccable. And Oman as a whole is maintained spotless and squeaky clean (albeit by the mostly Indian expatriate work force of course). Despite the scorching summer heat, with ACs on 24x7, life here can't be too bad.

There are  numerous other reasons why Oman is a great place to be. But the reasons would of course vary from person to person, depending on their personal preferences and choices.

Very well said Sumitran!