Malaysian Seeking for Guidance to Work & Settle Down at Canada

Hello & Happy Chinese New Year from Malaysia!

Here are some background about myself:-
1. Where I'm currently staying? Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2. Which industry I'm currently working in? Oil & Gas (Project Engineer, EPCIC & Inspections) Started at Jan 2014
3. Which Degree & School did I graduate from? MSc & BEng in Mechanical Engineering, Loughborough University, UK (Graduated at Dec 2013)
4. What I do during freetime? Brushing up on Public Speaking, Toastmasters

Fellow Malaysians & expats who have managed to settled down in Canada, I'm really looking forward to work (& most likely migrate) there through the newly proposed 'Fast Track Work Programme'. My current plan of action is to gain the necessary experience & certifications in my industry field & IELTS, prior to starting my application within 2 -3 years. Appreciate if anyone could provide me some good pointers to my queries below:-
1. Weekly living expenses & rentals (e.g. Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Vancouver, Bull Arm - Newfoundland & Labrador)
2. Recommended medical insurance / plans to sign-up for
3. Other application routes besides 'Fast Track Work Programme' (i.e. from what I know, application period may take up to 2 years)
4. Networking sites other than LinkedIn (i.e. to be in direct correspondence with local employers & provincial development committee)

Thank you.  :top:

Hi Choong,

Happy belated CNY to you from Halifax, Canada. From a fellow Malaysian to another who is thinking of embarking on this journey, let me just say it is not for the faint-hearted.

Fellow Malaysians & expats who have managed to settled down in Canada, I'm really looking forward to work (& most likely migrate) there through the newly proposed 'Fast Track Work Programme'.

If I am not mistaken the actual program with that name 'Fast Track Work Program' is no longer available. However, the mode of "fast tracking" applications does apply to certain programs like Federal Skilled Express Entry Program, Provincial Level's Express Entry (e.g. Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry) or a PNP (provincial nominee program).

My current plan of action is to gain the necessary experience & certifications in my industry field & IELTS, prior to starting my application within 2 -3 years.

That's a good strategy as work experience counts in your application. With 2 years being the minimum to really make an impact.

Appreciate if anyone could provide me some good pointers to my queries below:-
1. Weekly living expenses & rentals (e.g. Edmonton, Calgary, Fort McMurray, Vancouver, Bull Arm - Newfoundland & Labrador)

Use numbeo.com to check for cost of living info. You may find details for all except Bull Arm. What I find strange is that you have Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary in the mix - a stark comparison to Fort Mac or Bull Arm. Why I say that, the later 2 is in the middle of nowhere as oppose to the former. I can see why you have them there because you are targeting O&G cities (except Vancouver which is immigrant friendly - lots of Orientals there especially in Richmond, BC).
Just a note, keep your options open to other provinces too. And for your case since you are in ME, you may want to add in some resource rich province, put Saskatchewan (oil sands, potash, uranium), Yukon (hydro electric, gold, other mining) in the mix. Maybe, if something happens, check Nova Scotia out - the province has open up some ocean floors for O&G exploration. Hopefully they find something by the time you start applying. I think they ought to since the eastern seaboard is the same one with Newfoundland and Florida (lots of oil there).

2. Recommended medical insurance / plans to sign-up for

All provinces in Canada provide some form of free medical (albeit some top-up required for certain things like Ontario's). But those medical is only for consultation and basic hospitalization cost (dental not included). If you are working with big mining corps (like Suncor Energy), you typically have added medical benefits (dental and eye too) to cover for the fringes and also cost of drugs (medicine). Smaller companies will buy a cheaper plan for you - mostly to help cover drug cost.

3. Other application routes besides 'Fast Track Work Programme' (i.e. from what I know, application period may take up to 2 years)

Express Entry, PNP... If you could, I will advice you to engage in the services of an immigration lawyer. I can recommend a few when you decide to start applying.

4. Networking sites other than LinkedIn (i.e. to be in direct correspondence with local employers & provincial development committee)

I am not sure of what other online sites apart from LinkedIn. You can try the federal governments jobbank site - http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng
Explore the various links in it. Its pretty extensive. Even gives you a perspective of the current job market in which location etc. The other site you can use is glassdoor.

Malaysians usually suffer a middle classification experience in getting here. We're too liberal and democratic (to the extend that we aren't really Myanmar or Iran yet) to be considered political refugees. At the same time we're not too poor  or war-torn enough like Somalia / Syria to be consider as Human Rights refugees. So you can consider all programs allocated to that category as a no go. I am sure  you wouldn't want to either.

The other problem is that most of organizations formed to help out immigrants do so when you already have your PR status/ Canadian citizenship. Which leaves you on your own to figure out how to come over here first  (that's where the lawyer comes in) and then seek their help to find job. Its very rare that one gets a job offer and the company will help and wait for your application. Not that it doesn't happen. But its rare. Don't let me stop you though, try poking around and ask. Call the immigration lawyer and ask. Becareful of dodgy immigration lawyers/consultant.

But when you are on the ground and without a job yet, consider some of the organizations like:
Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS)
Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia
etc.
Basically use this site to find for one depending on where you settle, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/map/services.asp

CCIS has a good program for training one to get started in the O&G sector - http://www.ogtp.ca

If you need any more help whatsoever, just PM (private message) me.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I understand that getting the dream job the first try will be a though nut to crack. However, I'm willing to start at a lower position (in addition to working part time), as long as I'm working toward my goal in related industries (i.e. Oil & Gas / Manufacturing).

If all goes according to plan, I'll be putting my application forward by end of 2015 / beginning 2016, provided that:-
1) I've got my Degree Certified according to Canada CGPA [by World Education Services, WES wes.org/ca/
2) Obtained my IELTS [General Training]
3) 2 - 3 Year Working Experience [with Professional registration]

Based on your response, appreciate your guidance on the questions listed below:-
1) Can we apply for the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) with multiple Provinces? (Primary Choices: Alberta, Nova Scotia & Labrador & Newfoundland)
2) Application period for applications seemed to be longer for Federal Skilled Worker Program (i.e. >40 Months - if applying from Singapore) compared with PNP (i.e. 2 years - again, from Singapore). Are there any unconventional options for applications with faster processing times?
3) Which are the banks you recommend for new comers with the following features? (i.e. low charges for overseas transactions, ATM & branch availability, higher than average deposit interest rates, incentives / promotion packages for newcomers)

Best wishes to you & your family from half-way around the world  :sleep

Ok I am going to try to answer 2 out of your 3 question first because I  have a short 5 minutes now.

1) Can we apply for the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) with multiple Provinces? (Primary Choices: Alberta, Nova Scotia & Labrador & Newfoundland)
2) Application period for applications seemed to be longer for Federal Skilled Worker Program (i.e. >40 Months - if applying from Singapore) compared with PNP (i.e. 2 years - again, from Singapore). Are there any unconventional options for applications with faster processing times?

For question 1, you may. But, based on advice I got from my immigration consultant, you might not want to do that. In other words, she advised me against it. Reason being - you're wasting money. Because each application means different processing fee that you will need to fork out again. As the saying goes, money don't grow on trees. Next, it really doesn't matter. Let's say you applied for PNP Newfoundland. And you got it. But you went to Alberta instead to settle down. They won't know. Trick is:
1) Never in the provincial nominee forms do you mention that you intend to do so. Just give praise to the fact that you only have your eyes on Newfoundland (for this example). Be careful with your words. Just Newfoundland all the way.
2) I am not too sure but its safer than being sorry. At least your final destination in coming to Canada should be Newfoundland. Because your first time at the port of entry, you will be process too.
After a 2-3 days of holiday in St. Johns, NL, then fly out and head to your actual destination! No one will know.

Question 2 - PNPs are faster because:
1) They (the province) are already allotted a certain number of applicants from the Federal. Basically these provinces (with exception to Alberta) are in dire need of immigrants as their population size is dwindling. Immigrants are needed because they taxes and help to spur the economy. There's an agreement that Federal will fast track anyone who's been approve by the Province. However, there's still no guarantee you'll get the PR. The final say still falls on to the Federal. The only diff is that your app will be fast track.
2) Why did I say exception to Alberta? Because every tom, dick or harry will want to go there. Its a given. Calgary is fast becoming like the household name of the place to be in Canada just like Toronto. So guess what, more applications forms headed that way. Go figure!

:)

I'll get back to you on question 3 a lil' later...

3) Which are the banks you recommend for new comers with the following features? (i.e. low charges for overseas transactions, ATM & branch availability, higher than average deposit interest rates, incentives / promotion packages for newcomers)

Dude if you're going with banks, they charge you a killer with fees on exchange rates. Try things like trans union or something. But why don't you bank in a lump sum that way you can lower your exchange fees. If I had to do it all over again, this is what I would do. When landed in Canada. Get some kind of id e.g. Provincial ID. If you are in Nova Scotia, the office is called Service Nova Scotia, NL is called Service NL etc etc. If you got a rental place already, that's better - as you'll need an address. Go to the bank and open a checking account. You might put in a few bucks there. Go for CIBC as they may have packages that does not charge you monthly fee. Yes! Banks do charge a monthly fee here just to open an account. Becareful! RBC is a killer. But if you have a lot of other stuff with them, they will usually waive those fees. But as a newcomer, you won't have a lot of things first. So go for CIBC. Then get your parents or you could do it yourself, to transfer your funds over using online exchange services like http://www.canadianforex.ca. I used this to transfer lump sum Canadian to RM. It was at that time when I was researching, the lowest fee and best rate, for RM (you going to face a lot of problem with exchange btw CA and RM as RM isn't a popular currency).

Unfortunately as for ABM (ATM) availability, RBC and Scotia are usually better. But, its fee thing that lots of people are turn off by. Don't go to 3rd party ABMs as they charge $2/3 per transaction (crazy isn't it!!!). What you can do is, when you go for your groceries, say you want to do cash back. Meaning, your total at the cashier was 10 but you want to take out another 60 from your account. Pay her using your bank's debit card (you should have it when you open an account with them, if not ask for it. should be at no cost), and she'll give you the extra 60 from your checking account. Your final total is 70. Now, there's no extra charge for that transaction. Its a free service from the grocery store. Only major grocery stores does this though. Not all...

Incentives for newcomers? Becareful with RBCs, but it doesn't harm to shop around. Remember always ask and dig answers out the people. The sales personal are usually not very informative and you have to pry the information out from them. Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups as you know it. So don't assume that you won't need to pay something when they never mention anything. Sometimes they may upsell stuff and you agree to it thinking its free and part of the package. Very tricky tricky this "ang mohs" here.

Btw, it'll be nice to have more Malaysians coming over here. Let me know what's your progress. You can PM (private message) me.  :)

Also, don't forget to read the tips about settling in Canada. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=453973

Check this article out, http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/no … 03-15.html

Quoting from this para,

One noteworthy aspect of new arrivals' settlement habits is that an increasing number of immigrants to Nova Scotia are choosing to stay in the province. The latest figures from Statistics Canada indicate that 71 per cent of immigrants who arrived in Nova Scotia between 2007–2011 stayed in the province, despite immigrants having freedom of movement and freedom of labour across the country after landing in Canada. This is slightly up from the 69 percent retention rate from 2003–2007.

See the underlined words. So its not illegal to do what I suggested. Just be smart and say you want to stay put in that province in your application forms.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your invaluable info!

Will keep in touch with you when I have any firm moves on my application. May I know which is your preferred method of contact / correspondence?

CHOONG

Choong,

Scroll right to the top. And you'll see an icon at the top right hand side of the webpage that is shape like an envelope. That's your private message functionality. Click that and send me a private message. I'll provide my details in there.

There are a few options for finding a job in Canada. However, you need to remember that the company hiring you has to have an LMIA. As was mentioned in the previous post, the Canadian job bank is sometimes useful. Classified sites such as kijiji.com and craigslist.com also occassionally have LMIA job postings. One other site to try is uniivaa.com. The major sites like workopolis and monster do have a lot of job postings but you really need to monitor them regularly to spot LMIA jobs.

I'd stay clear off kijiji and craigslist simply because they tend attract dodgy businesses. If you're looking to buy and sell stuff/ services - then ya, go for it. But for jobs, its either you use jobbank, monsters, indeed or if you know the company's website, just go straight to their site and search their career link. Unfortunately, with exception to jobbank, you can never tell if jobs are with LMIA from the other sites.

Thanks for the pointers Philip. I will keep you posted via private messaging once I've started my application.  :cheers: