Air Malta. 'Rule of 2'.

For the few who may be interested and in light of the recent air disaster, I wrote to Air Malta yesterday to clarify the company's policy.
I received this response before it was published in the press:.......................

The devastating airline incident this week has sparked a discussion around the world about how crew policies can be improved to enhance passenger safety.
Air Malta is committed to continually improving its safety policies and maintaining its impeccable safety record. In light of this, we have decided with immediate effect, to make it compulsory to have two crew members in the cockpit at all
times. This measure complements our other security procedures already in place.

Of course the risk of this type of disaster being repeated is minimal.

Its kind of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted attitude thought  - it needs to be done but it should have been standard practice years ago (i had always assumed it was) because not just for preventing this type of incident but also if the pilot or co-pilot was to get physically ill etc
Still hopefully these common sense changes should go a long way to prevent future tradgedies from happening

thanks for emailing for the information at least we know that they are committed to passenger safety

and my thoughts are with those who are all affected by this incident

this is a move just for public, couse even the pilots them self said that they need 3-4 seconds to shut down the motors in right instance or position plane on collision corse and flight intendant won't even notice he did something bad , and when she (or he) does it will be too late anyway

@redmik

actually this has happened 5-6 times in past, that pilot did a suicide while piloting commercial plane ;)

@robpw2
there should be 3 pilots, but due to budget this has been abandoned long time ago

NB yes I do use planes and will continue to do so

5 or 6 times out of how many flights per day multiplied by years?   Very, very rare.
Basic H&S assessment, cost v risk = investment (or not).

Hi Mick,

I also saw your query  :) Just short before we received this official statement which was then also published on the website (of course, all other did this too  ;)  ) btw, and the average age of the A320's in operation is only 9 years ...
http://www.airmalta.com/information/abo … pit-policy