The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

Nards....
You big spender, you !
I have a good friend that is 100% Eye-Talian. He is the old buddy from school that I rode the bike down from Columbia with.He has settled here in Cuenca. Anyway, the day before yesterday, he made me the most excellent cupa that I've had. I've always been leery of trying it myself, but he walked me through the process. I was always fearful the damn thing would blow up.  Anyway, this is the old school type that you fill and heat on the stove top.< It has a built in relief valve> Anyway, pretty simple and straight forward. Bought mine at Sukasa, for I think 48 bucks. Then, I purchased the little foamer at Super Maxi for a buck fiddy. Makes a perfect foam using whole milk. A little cinnamon and sugar mixture on top, with a swirl of chocolate, and you're in biz.
The brand of the unit I bought is Bialetti, and is imported from Italy. Very nice unit.
So, next time you are slumming and in my hood, stop in for a cup. Only a buck fifty.... waaaaay cheap.
Be Well,
Zen
Note : I have handles on my cups, but that is .50 extra. Still cheap me thinks.

Over at a health-insurance thread, a Cuenca resident has posted the most comprehensive report on IESS health care in Cuenca that I have seen from someone actually taking advantage of that system.  He and his wife have been using IESS coverage successfully.

See reports #21 and 23 at that thread.

The thread name is "How to Get Health Insurance."

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Over at a health-insurance thread, a Cuenca resident has posted the most comprehensive report on IESS health care in Cuenca that I have seen from someone actually taking advantage of that system.  He and his wife have been using IESS coverage successfully.

cccmedia in Quito

I searched for "How to Get Health Insurance" in the search bar at the top of this page and no title like that shows up. Comments?

MikeGB wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

cccmedia in Quito

I searched for "How to Get Health Insurance" in the search bar at the top of this page and no title like that shows up. Comments?

Here's the thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=446105

Not sure why cccmedia refrains from posting actual links.

gardener1 wrote:

It is his way of helping people learn how to do things for themselves.
An educator at heart.

mugtech wrote:
gardener1 wrote:

It is his way of helping people learn how to do things for themselves.
An educator at heart.

That's great if his instructions work. Except in this case they did not. Providing the link might be a better solution.

Having said that the search mechanism should work as cccmedia suggested. That means the website admins need to do some work as the system is clearly not searching all posts as it should.

Thanks to the recent prompting on this Cuenca thread, I decided to upgrade/repair my laptop so I could do more stuff such as provide links.

Mike made a valid point that the search system should work better, but we can't really wait for that, can we?

Anyway, I found a new and better computer-repair shop here in Quito, and will now endeavor to post a link, below.

It's a link to the unofficial Quito web site, where I attempt to regale readers with my tale of finding a teenage geek who seems to have the ability to improve online life for all of us.  If you read that post (Report #15 on that thread), I believe you'll know the rest of the story....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 34#2460455

I saw the "link" change to blue, so I think this is a success.
:top:

cccmedia in Quito

In the meantime Cuenca's great ambassador, Edd Said, is active again on his blog, sending in a report on 3/2/15 about his 4 day stay in Santiago, Chile before taking a 14 day cruise around the cape to Buenos Aires, where they intend to stay a week.  He has promised to keep us posted about the cruise, which even stops in the Falklands and Montevideo.  It is an advantage of living so close to Santiago to be able to take such a wonderful trip.

This week I received the daily IL sales pitch with a different slant.
Of course they are usually involved in telling fairy tales, but this one was about Goldilocks visiting Cuenca and deciding it was not too hot, not too cold, but just right.
One wonders why they would use a person known for entering a stranger's house, eating their food, breaking some furniture, sleeping in their bed, and running away when confronted.  Not exactly your ideal expat, but she does sound like an economic refugee.
Guess who wrote it.

mugtech wrote:

This week I received the daily IL sales pitch with a different slant.
Of course they are usually involved in telling fairy tales, but this one was about Goldilocks visiting Cuenca and deciding it was not too hot, not too cold, but just right.
One wonders why they would use a person known for entering a stranger's house, eating their food, breaking some furniture, sleeping in their bed, and running away when confronted.  Not exactly your ideal expat, but she does sound like an economic refugee.
Guess who wrote it.

They rehashed the Goldilocks character?  I only found the article dated from 2013:

http://internationalliving.com/2013/11/ … -downside/

P.S. I also noticed International lving hired Said's wife as a contributor as well Connie Pombo, author of this book on Cuenca.

I personally recommend that no expat or potential expat defer to a Cuenca blogger on any subject, because they are FOC.

What is FOC?  I can think of one word that begins with F...but not sure that is what you mean?

quito0819 wrote:

What is FOC?  I can think of one word that begins with F...but not sure that is what you mean?

LOL I'm just guessing but maybe Full Of C***...where C*** is a common four-letter word in Spanish for, uh, solid human waste...

Or more charitably, FOC means "Friends Of Cuenca"... :D

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DAy-LZwkIdM/VQSFNnla-qI/AAAAAAAAB-0/pDyGTUIGH3c/s800/IMG_20150313_151027483.jpg

This cafe has become my go-to place when I am walking along Remigio Crespo. It is on the corner of Remigio Crespo and Augustin Cueva (next door to the Subway on Augusti Cueva).  The owner is Iranian, lived in the United States for 20 years, speaks English, and likes to shoot the bull with his customers when not busy.  The cafe has been opened for about 6 months.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-69CIY_AD7IU/VQSExH9wQ7I/AAAAAAAAB-c/oKN1B7dJQy4/s800/IMG_20150313_151050571_HDR.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cPkcowqYG_8/VQSEtfpSRDI/AAAAAAAAB-U/e2loBnqLeGw/s800/IMG_20150313_151736983_HDR.jpg

Nards Barley wrote:

[img align=c]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DAy-LZwkIdM/VQSFNnla-qI/AAAAAAAAB-0/pDyGTUIGH3c/s800/IMG_20150313_151027483.jpg[/url]

This cafe has become my go-to place when I am walking along Remigio Crespo. It is on the corner of Remigio Crespo and Augustin Cueva (next door to the Subway on Augusti Cueva).  The owner is Iranian, lived in the United States for 20 years, speaks English, and likes to shoot the bull with his customers when not busy.  The cafe has been opened for about 6 months.

[img align=c]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-69CIY_AD7IU/VQSExH9wQ7I/AAAAAAAAB-c/oKN1B7dJQy4/s800/IMG_20150313_151050571_HDR.jpg[/url]

[img align=c]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cPkcowqYG_8/VQSEtfpSRDI/AAAAAAAAB-U/e2loBnqLeGw/s800/IMG_20150313_151736983_HDR.jpg[/url]

LOOKS YUMMY!!!

Any sign of the 40 thieves?

Nards, all I can say is WOW!!

I'm going back to EEUU for a couple of weeks and one of my first stops is a Jordanian place that has great lamb gyros and the humus is as smooth and creamy as, well, something that really smooth and creamy (nothing comes into my mind as I type this) :-)

I will be giving this place a try when I get back.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-49e2CZ09OtU/VRBAfaGLvhI/AAAAAAAAB_E/OL61eO3mtFA/s800/Seminar.png

This wednesday from 8:30 to 4:30  there will be a seminar in Spanish for those interested in becoming citizens of Ecuador.   Since it is my goal to become a spy for the CIA, I think becoming a citizen is an important step.   Plus, I want to get my 25 Gs back I used to get my residency visa.

I wonder how many gringos will attend given the semianr is only  in Spanish.   Will gringos come with their facilitators?  I am going to try and attend, although it is dubious how much I will understand.

If you attend, I will be the gringo in the audience making faces at other gringos (in disapproval of them).

Nards Barley wrote:

[img align=c]If you attend, I will be the gringo in the audience making faces at other gringos (in disapproval of them).

I would think a haughty expression would be classier

Nards Barley wrote:

This wednesday from 8:30 to 4:30  there will be a seminar in Spanish for those interested in becoming citizens of Ecuador.   Since it is my goal to become a spy for the CIA, I think becoming a citizen is an important step.   Plus, I want to get my 25 Gs back I used to get my residency visa.

I wonder how many gringos will attend given the semianr is only  in Spanish.   Will gringos come with their facilitators?  I am going to try and attend, although it is dubious how much I will understand.

If you attend, I will be the gringo in the audience making faces at other gringos (in disapproval of them).

It would be nice if they recorded the session and placed it on their website. That way those of us that are not very good at Spanish can have a go at translating it.

MikeGB wrote:

It would be nice if they recorded the session and placed it on their website. That way those of us that are not very good at Spanish can have a go at translating it.

I didn´t go to the event, but they sent me the following email in English, which I found strange considering the event is only in Spanish.  I also found it odd that in this email they say participation is mandatory for candidates for naturalization.  I am not a candidate for another year so the fact I didn´t attend today doesn´t matter, I suppose.

We reiterate the invitation to the Seminar for candidates to naturalization to be held today. The participation of candidates to naturalization is mandatory.
Transportation by bus will be provided from the Zonal Coordination in Cuenca to Azogues, today at 11h00. We will be waiting for you.

Nards Barley wrote:

We reiterate the invitation to the Seminar for candidates to naturalization to be held today. The participation of candidates to naturalization is mandatory.
Transportation by bus will be provided from the Zonal Coordination in Cuenca to Azogues, today at 11h00. We will be waiting for you.

Wonder if they are still waiting.
I guess the point of having it in Spanish is that if you cannot understand, then you are not ready for naturalization.

mugtech wrote:

I guess the point of having it in Spanish is that if you cannot understand, then you are not ready for naturalization.

That makes sense, of course. But if they are thinking in those terms, then why send the email in English?

Oh well, silly me -- trying to apply reason to government actions.

Apparently that seminar on how to become a citizen was a smashing success.   They sent me a bilingual email message announcing they will be offering another one in the future.   Odd that they address the letter as "dear citizens". It should be "dear citizen wanabees"

Estimados ciudadanos:

En vista de la excelente acogida que ha tenido el “I Seminario de integración para ciudadanos extranjeros, candidatos a naturalizarse”; y debido de que muchos ciudadanos no pudieron participar, se realizará otro seminario en los próximos meses, el cual será comunicado con suficiente anticipación.

Los ciudadanos que se encuentren tramitando sus naturalizaciones tienen dos opciones:

a) presentar el certificado de asistencia al seminario; o

b) responder un cuestionario sobre temas generales de historia, geografía, la Constitución y obligaciones con el Estado ecuatoriano, el momento que ingresan su solicitud.

Dear Citezens:

Due to an excellent reception from the international community living in the Austro Region on the first Seminar: “ Integration for foreign citizens, Candidates to naturalization”; The Viceministry of Human Mobility is going to organize a second event that will be notified ahead of time to all of those who couldn't attend to the first meeting.
Candidates to Naturalization have two options:
a) Present the certificate of attendance at Seminar
b) Answer the questionnaire on general topics of history, geography, Constitution and obligations to the Ecuadorian State, when entering your request.

Saludos Cordiales
Dirección de Naturalizaciones.
Viceministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Movilidad Humana - Azogues
• Av. 16 de Abril y Babahoyo
• Telf.: + (593 2) 2993200 • Ext.: 18219
www.cancilleria.gob.ec
Azogues - Ecuador

cuidadano is used interchangeably  with citizen or resident of the country

Nards Barley wrote:

Candidates to Naturalization have two options:
a) Present the certificate of attendance at Seminar
b) Answer the questionnaire on general topics of history, geography, Constitution and obligations to the Ecuadorian State, when entering your request.

So one is not required to demonstrate any knowledge of what happened at the seminar, just get a piece of paper that says you showed up.  Just like the continuing education hours required of CPA's in the USA.  Should be a piece of cake.

quito0819 wrote:

cuidadano is used interchangeably  with citizen or resident of the country

I am sure you are right.  Even the english dictionary says it can refer to a resident.

citizen
n    noun
1    a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth.
2    an inhabitant of a town or city.

Probably was the same context as well for the movie Citizen Kane.

It's always seen weird to me...I am used to it  as referring to citizenship but I have had people say to me that I should vote because I live here - even for a little while with no long term plans...just cultural differences, I guess.

Any people happen to know a apartment to rent(share) for one person, better to include internet, less than 200? in Cuenca.

Did you see the April Fools gag on CuencaHighlife? It had me going.............

http://cuencahighlife.com/new-rules-req … omment-674

Spanish proficiency  is obviously a sore spot with some....

I guess this topic get more people visit the web site.
If it's real, the price of house will go down?

I noticed that CuencaHighlife released an excerpt fromtheir book on learning Spanish at the same time.

Waiting moderation on my comment, but I decided to try and stir things up.

I doubt either one of the editors of this book knows Spanish very well on a comprehensive basis. It is nothing personal, but after interacting with many expats in this community, I have learned most people are FOC.when it comes to evaluating their Spanish language knowledge.
P.S.
I would like to challenge Lee Dubbs to offer standarized Spanish proficiency exams in his school, so that we can put the bullsh*ters to the test. This isn´t about mandatory testing, but expecting people to walk the talk.

Nards Barley wrote

Did you see the April Fools gag on CuencaHighlife? It had me going.............

Shhh! Don't let on that it's a joke! Maybe a few people will actually learn some Spanish after reading it. One can only hope!  :dumbom:

Nards Barley wrote:

I would like to challenge Lee Dubbs to offer standarized Spanish proficiency exams in his school, so that we can put the bullsh*ters to the test. This isn´t about mandatory testing, but expecting people to walk the talk.

Bueno, Nards!!!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DFn_2Vp3TbA/VRhySexnekI/AAAAAAAAB_U/ICYPeq7-hrA/s800/IMG_20150329_161059443.jpg

On my way home I walked by my "go-to place" --Ali Baba"  and spotted the above sign on its front door.  Usually it is the tax agency  (SRI) shutting down restaurants, but this time it was the ministry of interior.  I am guessing there was some kind of dispute about noise or from workers.  I have my people on the case and hope to shed some light soon.

Nards Barley wrote:

Usually it is the tax agency  (SRI) shutting down restaurants, but this time it was the ministry of interior.  I am guessing there was some kind of dispute about noise or from workers.  I have my people on the case and hope to shed some light soon.

Good catch, Nards.

How ironic is this!  Something you're probably never going to see in Washington, D.C.

Glad to know you've got your peeps on the case :top:

cccmedia in Quito

http://www.eltiempo.com.ec/fotos-cuenca-ecuador/ecuador/t1_1427856080.jpg

There is an article in the El Tiempo titled Security Worries U.S. Citizens.  The photo caption indicates that U.S. citizens receive advise after one of their fellow citizens was murdered.  Apparently somebody from the U.S. consulate traveled to the meeting to participate.

I would have titled this article "Bored expats attend a meeting about security".

Anyone who heard the details of the murder knows that a special meeting with a U.S. consulate member was not necessary to address this murder.

Regarding the closure of Ali Baba, my people inform me that it was something about serving alcohol after 11:00 p.m. Apparently he can reopen next week sometime.

Next door he is building a bar that apparently will allow him to serve drinks until 2:00 in the morning, at least on the weekends I guess.

Here is the new place with an arch that was recently constructed.  There was a time in history when building arches was an engineering marvel. 

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YZV4SrmDFfA/VRhyWYgbUdI/AAAAAAAAB_c/AjBq8avzUsM/s800/IMG_20150329_161129773_HDR.jpg

http://gringosabroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/gringos-abroad.png

Fulfilling the prophecy that "the average time an expat spends overseas is about three and a half years", the Canadian bloggers announced today they had returned to Canada permanently.

I do not think it is necessary that we perform pyscoanalysis on this decision by them or any other expat.  Circumstances sometimes warrant the need to move back to one´s home country.

Of course, I am taking the "last man standing" approach to my move to Ecuador.  I want to be the last expat standing. Then I can call victory.......

Nards Barley wrote:

[img align=c]http://gringosabroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/gringos-abroad.png[/url]

Fulfilling the prophecy that "the average time an expat spends overseas is about three and a half years", the Canadian bloggers announced today they had returned to Canada permanently.

I do not think it is necessary that we perform pyscoanalysis on this decision by them or any other expat.  Circumstances sometimes warrant the need to move back to one´s home country.

Of course, I am taking the "last man standing" approach to my move to Ecuador.  I want to be the last expat standing. Then I can call victory.......

I really laughed at this "why I left Ecuador" quote in the CuencaHighLife article you linked:

“Although I liked Cuenca, I like San Miguel (Mexico) better. The expats here have more class and sophistication. They have more money and live a better lifestyle. I also like the fact that the bars and restaurants have a better selection of liquor.”  R., San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Come on Nards.  Where are you hiding the sophistication and good booze?   :D

People come on go from anywhere.  People move from places just because they don't like it there.  And if one is free to move...the move itself becomes an adventure.

Good luck with being the last man standing...