University of Malta

Hi all,

just received this information:

International Admissions Office - Room 103 Admissions Building
Tel: 2340 3332
email: [email protected]
Contact person: Stephanie Dimech
They said that foreign students will be informed this week.

Better late than never !

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky, yes Stephanie is lovely and really tries her best to help. Just a quick note, International isn't just for foriegn students. It's for anyone who has qualifications gained outside of Malta or not reconised in Malta.

caroline

That is a big relief! I think that she is really sweet and has helped me a lot. Now just waiting... Thank you for information Ricky!

Hi Guys! Do not worry, my boyfriend received his acceptance letter las year in November ;) They told him he can attend classes from October and he will receive his letter soon. Better late then never :)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any news from the university. I tried to call the International Admissions but the call got transferred to Admissions and they were unable to give me any information.

Hi

You will have to just keep calling them. They are going to be very busy now. I am there tomorrow, would you like me to go in and ask IF there is not too much of a queue...Private message me if you do with your details.

Caroline

Thanks, Caroline, but I am traveling to Malta next week anyway so I will just go there and wait :).

Hi all,
Its been à difficult journey do far. I've moved to Malta only to find out they made a mistake with my application. Mistaken their BTEC with their MCAST BTEC. So now I'm studying at MCAST (higher national in business) and after that I can do a bachelor in 1 year. So I will have my degree within 3 years. But even when going to Mcast to apply there was a hassle with the fact that they weren't sure if the Netherlands was in the European Union (are you kidding me???) an adult administration worker handling the application asked me this. But I'm attending classes now, so there aren't any problems so far. Anybody attending mcast or the university that had some weird experiences??

Hey. I have a problem with entry requirements. I just don't understand how to get in this university and what exactly I have to do. Do I need special exams or smth? In my country website I found information that Malta don't ask very much from students to enter they courses. Can somebody help me ?:)

Cheers

Hi,

what exactly do you mean by being a ' generous girl' on your profile and what are your specific problems with the entry requirements for the University of Malta ?

From what I can see they are fairly standard. If you think they don't ask 'much' you are wrong. They ask as much as any other University.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

You would have to wait until next year now I would have thought as courses have already started.

As Ricky said, the requirements are the same, if not more then any university. In fact, they are very strict in their requirements and there is plenty of information on their website. Just type in the course you want and it will tell you what is needed.

i want to know one thing.. am from pakistan and i want to come in malta as a student visa of university level so can i have to do job in part time?? one man asked me non EU students not allowed to do part time job in their first year of study so am just confused is this true or not? bcz if i come and just do sstudy then how can i live in malta how i can eat food pay rent and other expences?

Hi hannangujjar,

posting the same question under different topics won't give you the answer that you are hoping for.

For all others on the forum I had a very patient and longer interaction through PM's with hannangujjar which culminated in this post:

actuly i come for work on student visa i dont want study i want to do work.. i thinked i can earn 800 to 900euro per month thats why i am thinking to come in malta thanks for info .

Hannangujjar , please research your own information about studying and working in Malta. Your deceitful approach is a total waste of time and don't think that I didn't realize  from your second post onwards that you are not a real student but a potential migrant worker looking to trick.

Ricky

Nice one Ricky! :top: He should be banned.

I know that this is an old post but I wanted to comment because I am having a similar problem. I applied months in advance for a course so that if I was accepted, I would have adequate time to prepare to move to Malta. However, it is taking such a long time to get a response that it defeats the whole purpose of applying early. In early January I applied for the June course and I thought that I had plenty of time. However, when March approached and I still didn't receive an answer, I asked to delay it to October.

It seems that you are all saying that you don't receive a response until just a few days before the course starts. Is that true even for the people like me who applied to a course very early? So, if I sent my application is January, am I not going to receive a response until late September. If that is true then it is pointless because most foreign students can't make preparations for a move with just a few days notice. It also defeats the purpose of applying early.

What's worse is that potential students pay 95 Euros for the application fee so I feel that they get ripped off. That would be like ordering a pizza and the pizzeria delivers it so late that it is cold a moldy, yet still charge you full price.

I suspect that they do it because they don't want (or are not bothered) about getting foreign students.
Under EU  regulations they cannot refuse foreign  applications but they can make it difficult and make a profit!

Its win win for Malta.

Terry

One main reason is that the University waits until the deadline for applications and then considers each application on its own merits.

As Maltese students don't apply early they would be filling up the courses with foreign students who obviously apply early because they need to think about arrangements.

But universities in other countries in Europe operate in a similar way.

Cheers
Ricky

I applied for a research program and had to submit a dissertation proposal. When I asked the International admissions office why it was taking so long to get a response, I was told that my dissertation proposal was still being reviewed. I never understood that response because the dissertation proposal was only two pages long. Therefore, I don't understand why it would take three months to read it and decide if it was acceptable. 

It seems that all students get their acceptance or rejection letter just days before their course starts. If that is true, then I have a question. I contacted the University many times to ask them when they think I should have a response and they kept saying that they are not sure. However, if they know that we are going to get a response shortly before the course starts, then why don't they just say that to me? If they know this information but say that they are not sure when we would get a response, then aren't they technically misleading or even lying to me and other students? Wouldn't it be easier to just tell us this information so that they wouldn't have to constantly respond to students asking about the status of their application? Imagine the time it would have saved.

Of course you are right !

But this is Malta . If you come to study here you will have to accept the Maltese way -))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi, how many kids do you have and how do you cope with your studies. I have 3 kids and am interested in studying medicine. Is it possible to move with the kids alone? What of the financial aspect- children's tuition, nanny etc?
Thanks

Hi Estokoli,

who are you asking about the number of kids and what do you mean by ' move with the kids alone ?' ?.

The financial aspects of studying medicine in Malta will depend on whether you are a citizen of an EU country or not.

For a non-EU student the university fee for the medicine course is 26.600 € / year payable before the course starts. They calculate the cost of living for a foreign student at ~ 1000 €/ month.

I'm not sure how the seriosity of your intention of studying medicine and bringing 3 kids with you would be judged by the immigration authorities. I guess if you have the resources to finance the university and living costs for yourself and also pay for the nanny for the children while you study it might work.

State schools are free - private schools charge several thousand € /year per child.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
I am a resident of  Norway married to a citizen. Do you think that I will qualify for Eu fees?
My husband does not wish to relocate and believes he can't cope with the children alone. Hopefully, I should qualify for maintenance loan here but needs an advice from you and other expats. Thanks

Hi Estokoli,

I'm not quite sure about your status.  Are you a citizen of Norway or a resident ? That is a big difference.What do you mean by ' married to a citizen'? Being married to a Norwegian should give you the same rights as an EU citizen but your rights hinge on your Norwegian husband. If he is not resident in the EU you probably have no rights yourself.

Norway is a member-state of the EU so you would definitly not be required to pay for your studies ( apart from costs that occur to Maltese students too ) if you are a Norwegian citizen.

I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance loan . That certainly does not exist here in Malta.

The costs of living quoted by the university are quite realistic but do not include costs for living with a family.

Why are you looking at Malta to study medicine in your situation ?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi

Could you please advise.  Our understanding is that for our children (british nationals currently living in England) to attend Malta University for free they would have to attend 6th form in Malta and gain the MATSEC certificate or gain the IB from either St Edwards or Verdala.  Is this information correct or would they be able to complete their A levels in England and then enrol.  I have tried ringing the admissions office at MU to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

you are addressing two issues in one post.

First : EU nationals are entitled to the same conditions as Maltese citizens when attending courses at the University of Malta. In most cases this is free.

Second : Foreign students do not have to  have attended school in Malta but their qualifications will have to entitle them to study in Malta depending on the course and the specific requirements to be enrolled.

Cheers
Ricky

I also applied very early in February but just got my acceptance this week  so perhaps you may hear also this week.  Here's hoping!

Thanks for the update. Very useful for lothers waiting.

Cheers
Ricky