Safety and security in Erbil and Dohuk

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing great. I am planning to travel and work in Kurds(Erbil and Dohuk)for like 3 months. How safe is the kuredestian zone please?

Thank you dears.

Hi
I just would like to assure that you are on safe side , I am very sure you will be liking Erbil when you arrive , Kurdistan is not a war zone ! it is a place where you and all of other nationalities can live, as luck would have it!
Feel free to ask if you anything else !

Thank you dear for the reply!!

Welcome to Erbil, regarding safety, Erbil is save in security side. if you need any help in Erbil it is my pleasure to help you..

Why are the views so conflicting. Some people say it is safe and others that it is not. What is the reality? I realize it cannot be 100% safe since the army is fighting close by...so what does safe mean?

Because it is relatively safe, the Peshmerga are winning the war. They are on the offensive pushing ISIS out of the surrounding villages now. So to the average person here it seems 100% safe.

But then as a westerner you have to be aware that ISIS is desperate for cash and would love to capture you for ransom money. So you're walking around with a million dollar price tag on your head. When viewed from that perspective you don't feel quite 100% safe anymore.

I travelled from Suli to the US Consulate in Erbil and back a couple days ago via Kirkuk, and the security is very tight. I had to get out and show my passport at several checkpoints along the way. Smoke was rising on the horizon in Kirkuk from villages under assault by Peshmerga.  They were absolutely refusing any Arabs entrance to Erbil. The security at the US consulate was air tight, they've got rows of concrete blast walls set up in front of the building and a truck with a mounted 50 caliber machine gun out front. When I was driving around trying to find the place, just getting out of the car in the vicinity of the consulate to ask if this was the place prompted guards to approach me with weapons drawn.

Qatari and Emerati airlines have now canceled all flights to / from Sulimaniyah and Erbil because of a perceived security risk. Other major airlines had canceled their flights here last summer and never resumed them.

So is it safe. Sure, relatively. I felt safe enough to drive to Erbil via Kirkuk. Is there risk? A lot of experts say yes and are avoiding risk at great economic expense.

But regardless of what happens, ask any Kurd if Kurdistan is safe, they will say "Of Course! It's Kurdistan. Kurdistan perfectly safe!" because they are comparing it to Baghdad, not Happytown, Pennsylvania.

This is the most honest response I have had. Thank you.

Im thinking of getting a job with Sabis at the international school but im worried about the safety there, it has been on the news that ISIS surrounds the area and the foreign office advise against travel to the area. My family are obviously concerned but its a good package, what do you think? are there many english speaking people in erbil?

HI , I would like to assure you that Erbil safe and safer than you are thinking about!
Media news usual makes story/ news bigger than its size.
yes, there r many English speaker in Erbil
If you want I can give you more information about Erbil

Yes please , I'm particularly worried as I'm a female and will be travelling alone. I'm not a Muslim and I will stand out as western , do you know the international school at all ?! Thank you for your help, do you live in Erbil ?!

Yes I live in Erbil and am Kurdish.
I want you to be doubtless about your coming to Kurdistan, because you are not the only one who has come to Erbil , whether you are female or male,  you will find a lot of foreign  friends  who live here freely.

hope it helps !

Sabis pays well and takes good care of their people. They work you like a robot though. You will have 30+ contact hours per week plus a lot of meetings and training and you have to teach using their methodology, which means delivering their prepared lessons pretty much word for word. It's not a communicative method.

But they are generous with pay and vacation time, so it balances out in the end. Just be aware what you are getting into. You can learn more about it on DavesEslCafe than here.

Regarding safety and security, read the threads, there's nothing we can say that hasn't already been said.

Hi all.
Off to Dohuk in a couple weeks.
Have been before, mind you, there was much less trouble in the neighborhood at the time...(read: pre-Is)
Any foreigners about at the moment?
How's your feeling of safety? Do you walk around the markets feelings fine, etc?
I understand how Kurds feel pretty safe there, with all things being relative, but they generally stick out much less than us tall blond types...
any current info on securtiy situation there as of June 2015 much appreciated.
thanks!

I am American and worked with Sabis for almost two years.  I have been around here for about 4.  It is as safe here as you can be anywhere, from my experience.  You will be warmly welcomed by the people, and will be surprised at the friends you will make here.  yes, there are a lot of foreigners, and a lot of English is spoken.  I have a learning center that I just opened, and am people are anxious to learn English and lots of other things.  I think someone said that at Sabis, you will teach like a robot.  So true. They control you from a distance, so don't get the idea that you will be a regular teacher in a regular classroom.  Real teachers will get frustrated. They will make sure you are well taken care of and you should want for nothing.  They also pay quite well.  There are things to do here that will keep you busy, and you won't lack for too much.  The Internet brings America to you min every way and you should be comfortable and perfectly safe, and I mean on the streets and everywhere.

is your school in dohuk, or are you in erbil? just checkin
thanks the reply

Hi
I have lived her for 5 years working at an International school (IDBEC)and will be coming for my 6th year in August. I feel safe. However I make sure I am always with a trusted taxi driver, we have several who come to our school and are now part of our "family".
There are lots of westerners here don't be put off by the media just be sensible and find other westerners to hang out with when you get here :)

thanks! i have been in and out of both dohuk and erbil for years, but never during these types of trouble.
I will be in dohuk, which i usually walk around freely, as well as having several kurdish friends and so on.
this time i will have the same friends etc, but as you know, kurds feel safety a bit different than us who didnt grow up in warzones.
thanks for the replies!

I'm in Erbil, actually in Ankawa, and no matter where I am, in either area, I feel completely at home, and enjoy knowing and relating to a large number of people in the area.  I think sometimes, as Americans, we take troubles more in stride, but life is very normal here, much like Podunk, USA. I'm here because I LIKE it here, and enjoy the people and friends that I know. Every time I go home I assure people that one can't go by what they see on the news. If they did, we'd never go anywhere. I'm here by choice.

Hi, I am considering a job with the American University in Duhok, and though I'm not too worried about the security situation in Kurdistan, I am well aware of what is going on in the regions surrounding and would really like to know; how likley would an incursion by ISIS or similar groups be likely into the city of Duhok. And what if any options are available in terms of security or places of living etc. Any current information would be really appreciated,and where possible returned in kind.

cheers
martin

HI

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE SAFETY IN BASRA FOR EXPATS?

THANKS A LOT

Dears,
Kindly share the living and working condition in duhok  iraq.

Hi,

I am planning to move as an Expat from Canada to Dahouk any good tips for me before leaving or accepting my offer?

Thanks
Mohammad

hello my name is Eduardo  Amaro, i am from Mexico and I would like to go to Erbil, recently i was intereted in learn Arabic, its a little dificult for me , bit i really like to learn .

what do you recomend me to , go to your country. Is safe?

Hi Dear

I have an opportunity to work in Sardam International School in Duhok, I am wondering if you can help to know more about this region regarding safety, lifestyle, life expenses,... and about the salary range payed by SABIS for teachers.

Thank You