Work Permit Status in Nairobi March / April 2015

Hey there!

I'm an advertising professional moving to Nairobi on work. My employer tells me that applying / getting a work permit is a lengthy procedure. However, as and when I've joined and started work with them, they shall apply for the same, that way it happens faster if the person's already in Kenya. Is that true?

My friend who's a banker, been in Nairobi for almost a year tells me that the new DM isn't renewing work permits and also not issuing fresh ones. Is that true?

From what I know, one then has to land up on a business visa, which is 90 days, and then they would have exactly 90 days to get me a work permit. So, can one get a work permit in 90 days? Or does it take longer? It'll help me profusely if I can get a few replies on this thread, especially for expats on a work visa currently in Kenya.

Cheers,

D.

Work permit.  Ha. Good luck on that one. You will spend lots of money and still not get one. Don't bother.

Well, well, that's a start. Thanks Kareh! Hahaa. Tell you what, I just had a brain wave, maybe I need to land another job in a neighbouring country and shuttle every 90 days! Let's see, got my fingers crossed, hopefully someone's gonna come up with a solution.

But having said that, I'd like to know if you know anyone else's story, someone with a similar predicament?

Nowadays it is indeed taking quite long to receive a work permit. However, it is for the employer to arrange one. I would strongly advise against taking up the job before receiving the work permit.

Thanks Tuldha for your valuable advise.
So how long have you been in Nairobi? We should catch up once I'm there in Nairobi, will be a huge help and I can take some notes from you on living in Nairobi.

I was going through another Visa thread in the forum, which said I can increase my stay for 3 more months after the first 3 months. Guess I'll do that and keep my fingers crossed.

Yes you can increase your stay to 6 months, but work is prohibited.  Also, a Special Pass (formerly business visa) is not a work permit.

I would guard against starting work and then hoping the employer obtains a permit for you.  You are taking a risk.  Employers are supposed to commence the application process before you arrive in country, otherwise it is quite likely that your visitors visa will expire before the work permit is issued.

Hey Longonot62,

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback.
Appreciate all the help from everyone here.
Well, at this moment, when I'm a couple of weeks away from arriving at Nairobi, I can just hope for the best and hope that it all works out like a dream :)

Cheers