Work as a junior architect in London?

Hello everyone!

I would like to enquire from your direct experience about the chances of finding a job for a newly graduated architect in London. My bf experience is limited to university internships but he has been doing some minor work for an architect here in Italy. I assume he would be considered as a Part II architect according to the RIBA system. Do employers generally prefer UK graduates or are (european) foreign titles also well accepted?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Tiziana

Hello Tiziana,

I would suggest you to ask your boyfriend to create his CV on the Jobs section- Architect job offers in London so that potential employers can contact him.

Regards
Yuveshen

Hello everyone,

I am a graduated architect from India. I am looking for jobs in UK in Architectural field. Though i am not a part I or II Architect, I would like to work under an Architect as Assistant Architect or Technical support for Architects.
Will i get job offer?
I don't have work visa of UK?Will they give me recommendation letter?
Right now i am in teaching field in India. Can i apply for PhD and do a part time job and then continue in teaching in UK?

Please guide me...

MinalRP wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am a graduated architect from India. I am looking for jobs in UK in Architectural field. Though i am not a part I or II Architect, I would like to work under an Architect as Assistant Architect or Technical support for Architects.
Will i get job offer?
I don't have work visa of UK?Will they give me recommendation letter?
Right now i am in teaching field in India. Can i apply for PhD and do a part time job and then continue in teaching in UK?

Please guide me...

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I suspect not; the only way to get a working visa in the UK at the moment is to get a job that appears on the UK shortage occupation list; this link will take you to the list.  I've just had a quick look and architect does not appear anywhere.

With regards going to University; assuming you have a course, then you will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that will take you through it.  In general, these visas do permit you to work for a short-time each week.  With regards to working while at University, for a full-time degree course, you can only work for a maximum of 20 hours p/week.

You should be aware that all of these types of visa are by definition short-term and there is currently a quota system in operation; this means that there is no guarantee that they will let you stay in the UK at the end of your job or university course.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic for your valuable reply...