Rating the 'Super-Mercados'

Expats say -- and IMO it's a valid statement -- that they can't find some of their favorite foods at Ecuador's supermarkets.

One way to improve things is to locate your city or town's store with absolutely the best assortment of your favorite foods.

Here in Quito, my vote goes to MegaMaxi 6 de Diciembre, at Ecovía bus-stop Benalcazar.  From my place in Centro Histórico, it's a two-bus trip, but always worth it.

These are the top 10 reasons that I think this MegaMaxi is the best super-mercado around:

#10. You can find every ingredient you need to fix great lox-and-bagel sandwiches:  smoked salmon, bagels "integrales" (whole grain), cream cheese, and fresh onions.

#9. Their fish counter is terrific.  My favorites are the "camarones grandes, ya cocinados" (large pre-cooked shrimp) and the fresh salmon. Take a number. 

#8. Super-wide aisles.  You'll think you're shopping in suburban Philadelphia ;)

#7. It's in a building where you can do your other shopping and eating.  There's a food court, multiple bank ATM's where you feel secure, a Fybeca pharmacy, a vitamin store, an ice-cream booth and more.

#6. It's open late.  And in Ecuador 9 p.m. is very late to do your grocery shopping (Monday-Saturday).  They don't even push you out the door at 9.  You can probably stretch it to 9:30.

#5. Mott's Apple Sauce.  In those wonderful plastic cups, 6 to a set.  Original and/or cinnamon-flavor.  If this product is regularly available at a non-Maxi venue, I haven't found it.

#4. It's not just a food supermarket.  You can buy all kinds of stuff, from clothing to "electro domésticos" (major appliances) to automobile products to make-up and creams to furniture to sporting goods to kids' toys.

#3. Many fruits and vegetables are refrigerated.  I still buy most of these at Spanish-speaking mercados but those lack refrigeration, impacting freshness.

#2. The "mozos":  porters readily available to push all your stuff through the complex via shopping cart and load it into the trunk of a 6 de Diciembre taxi.  It's a free service, but feel free to tip.

And my number-one reason for calling this Mega-Maxi the best:

#1. Fresh sushi is prepared and available on weekdays.  If this is your thing, don't arrive too late in the day.

cccmedia in Quito

MegaMaxi has six locations in Quito, and the chain has an additional 14 SuperMaxi's in town, according to their website, supermaxi.com ... The Mega's are larger and their inventory wider.

If you have a favorite super-mercado in Ecuador, please use this thread to tell us about it.

I shopped there often, it was within walking distance (even when carrying several bags of groceries) of my apartment. A couple additional benefits:
-- a cineplex across the street (I'm not a movie fan, but some might enjoy a show before shopping);
-- Quicentro is at the corner of 6 de diciembre and naciones unidos (100 meters or so away). So pretty much all your shopping can be done conveniently.

Great thread concept. In Bahia I favor the mega maxi for selection but the old Tia for price. Hit the mega maxi if you want to buy a bottle of wine and a motorcycle with your peanut butter, but your yogurt and bananas will be a few cents cheaper at the Tia.

In Quito I shop at the Santa Maria. The selection is mediocre but at least the prices are high.