Psychology in the DR

Hello, I am looking for information on moving to the DR for a working retirement.  I am a 50 year old Marriage and Family Therapist looking to work as a therapist in the DR.  I have done several internet searches and have not found any positions, or any information at all, on how to provide mental health services there... assuming that I would be providing this service for expats that speak English as I currently do not speak Spanish.  Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
~Simone

First welcome to the forums!! You will have a very very hard time with this one.  While many expats may need help  :D  few are going to go looking for it here. 

The culture here does not lend itself to your type of work. Sorry.

Are there working therapists anywhere in the DR I could possibly connect with?

After  11 years here  I don't know a single one.  Sorry.

There are many who could use the help, but there is a stigma attached to seeking any assistance,

So there must be places that folks go if there is a stigma?
Also, I'm interested in providing high end psychotherapy to English speaking ex pats...certainly a niche market! Has anyone see. Anything like this?

Welcome to the forum.  You may find it possible in an expat area as they are more open to "help".  I know there is a psychiatrist who is very busy here on the north coast...all pts are expats.

Also do know that you will be practicing here with out a license and that can open a bag of worms as well

Bob K

Glad you know someone Bob,  like I said,  it is not really done here.  NOT saying there is no need, just not done.  MOST expats are here to retire or to run away......LOL  They don't want to change at this point.

True but sometimes the baggage gets to be too much and there are lots of crazy expats around who could use the help. Especially marriage or couples counseling.  There are lots of married guys here who when the arrive start thinking with the little head.

Bob K

While I agree with you, they don't actually want to be "helped"..... LOL

Did you decide to move to the DR?  And are you practicing?

just for FYI, if you are still planning it: I dont believe that would be a success. the only problems that expats can ran awa from are money and you wont help them with that.
all the others - are killed with few glasses of rum and some girl/dog/cat around you.
so the weather here doesnt actually "help" you in your project ...as it is sunny here, people are usually not depressed and schizoprenic..as all the life takes is place outside on the streets....

8168simone wrote:

Hello, I am looking for information on moving to the DR for a working retirement.  I am a 50 year old Marriage and Family Therapist looking to work as a therapist in the DR.  I have done several internet searches and have not found any positions, or any information at all, on how to provide mental health services there... assuming that I would be providing this service for expats that speak English as I currently do not speak Spanish.  Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
~Simone

the whole country is loco
:joking:

Not just the country. The PLANET! I'm convinced this planet is an outpost where they send the dumbest dummies from all parts of the universe.

But some places seem to have a larger population of those outcasts :D

Bob K

Hello simone

You could have a look at the postings in the website of Barrick Gold our any of the embassies here and see if they are offering something in HR with your level of expertise.

With the boom of the internet where you can find pretty much any answer, and lot of good literature out there these days, finding a position in your field is challenging.

Best of luck.

When you come to this country expect nothing.  If you can survive on that then you will be successful no matter what you bring to the table.  All it takes is time, patience, money and motivation.  If you don't have these essential tools, stay where you are.  Eventually, these tools will be redundant as you learn the ways of the country and learn to survive here as a Dominican!  Opportunities here are limitless.

The issue is  she is a Therapist and that has little to do with HR especially here.  And its all in Spanish!

The issue here, is this is the Dominican Republic, her degrees have no real value here,but her experience, knowledge and common senses are invaluable.  I am a retired seasoned professional with many different skills as some of those paper things they call degrees.  Don't let these degrees and skills "limit" your abilities.  You need to be open minded to survive here as a foreigner.  You have to learn how to be "Dominican".  Just like any other country, when in Rome do as the "Romans" do.  As a new comer to this forum, I hope this is a forum of advice and information and not one of criticism and debate about who is right and who is wrong.  After all, we are adults, correct?

Hello,who is the psychologist on the North Coast?

Bob K ,can you please let me know who is the psychologist on the north coast and how he may be contacted?

Most seem to that their therapy in the bottle. I doubt many would pay you.

William I sent you a PM with his name and contact number.  Let me know if you have a problem reaching him.

Bob K

I have attached a link below with instructions in Spanish on how a foreign medical professional may become licensed in the Dominican Republic in case anyone needs it:

https://www.uasd.edu.do/index.php/reval … lidaciones

Thanks,I will

Did you ever move to the DR?

Hi Bob, can you send me the contact information for this person, if they are still practicing?

Replied to your PM.
Bob K

Hey Bob. I know I am late but can you do me the psychiatrist's information on the North Coast please?

This thread is almost three years old. Bob rarely posts anymore. But welcome to the forums.  If you post a new topic you may get others to respond

@8168simone

hello Simone, I just saw your message from 2015. I too am looking to retire there and am a Licensed Professional Counselor. Have you found any information. Yes, I believe this is a niche market.

@andrieawashington Unfortunately, Simone hasn't been on the site in over 5 years.

Thanks, a little disappointed. But this forum has a wealth of information! Thanks@ddmcghee!

Glad it's helpful to you. 

As far as I know Counselors are not licensed here. Psychologist and psychiatrist yes, counselors no.

I will see what I can find out to verify.

How do you apply for licensure/certification as a psychologist in DR?

Good question. I can make some assumptions but I would rather confirm first

Ok so I checked. Fist you need your degree there.  Your degree and studies must be translated officially. That is brought to a university here where they will determine if you qualify. Then you will be tested.  Then you can be certified and you join the association of psychologists here.

And of course you will need residency to work!