Moving to Brussels from India

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in Brussels and is in process of applying for his Visa. I will be applying later once he gets his residence card. I had few questions:

1: How much time does it take for the dependent visa to process?
2: Can you work on a dependent visa or require a work permit ?
3: I am going to learn basic French to start off. Are English speaking jobs available or learning language helpful.
4: Does anyone know of a courier company from Mumbai to Brussels ? {We might need to courier some stuff }

Thank you :)
Anu

1: How much time does it take for the dependent visa to process?
  --> Dependant Visa: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 2#p1884152  (Short answer: It is easy if you apply for the visa together. If you apply after your husband comes here, that paperwork can take quite some time).
--> https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 19#2229035
2: Can you work on a dependent visa or require a work permit ?
  --> You always need a work permit of professional card to work. Type of visa is no matter until it is long term. Different types of work permit & professional card are explained in: http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet … de-travail & http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet … europeenne

3: I am going to learn basic French to start off. Are English speaking jobs available or learning language helpful.
--> MNCs (ICT sector) have English speaking jobs. All local jobs with local customer facing roles or where majority of the workforce is local, or majority of business is local, you need local language (FR or NL)

4: Does anyone know of a courier company from Mumbai to Brussels ? {We might need to courier some stuff }
--> No :)  DHL ?

Hi Aneesh.

I plan to move to Brussels as a company from Belgium is about to issue me with a work permit.

I read your posts that it is easy if your dependent wife applies visa with you rather than after you are there.

I am wondering how to go about it if one of the important required documents for Dependent visa is my Residence Permit in Brussels where in the municipality of the town send the police to check if there is space for her to live too. So if we are going together, how is that supposed to work out because?

How to apply for Dependent visa without showing my residence card and proof of house (rent)?

Hoping to hear from you soon and Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

murcielago4me wrote:

Hi Aneesh.

I plan to move to Brussels as a company from Belgium is about to issue me with a work permit.

I read your posts that it is easy if your dependent wife applies visa with you rather than after you are there.

I am wondering how to go about it if one of the important required documents for Dependent visa is my Residence Permit in Brussels where in the municipality of the town send the police to check if there is space for her to live too. So if we are going together, how is that supposed to work out because?

How to apply for Dependent visa without showing my residence card and proof of house (rent)?

Hoping to hear from you soon and Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

Residence Permit is a required document only when you apply for your spouse visa after you reach Belgium.

When you apply together from India, you apply based on the work permit and your spouse applies stating that she is accompanying you... In this model, the consulate wants to see below things mainly
1 - She is your wife: You provide marriage certificate, birth certificate of your wife, etc etc  (with proper attestations as mandated by the VFS).
2 - You have a suitable accommodation here for you both: For that, you may need a rental contract which show your and your wife's name as the tenants.
3 - She will be covered in a medical insurance in Belgium (your employer must provide you a policy or a letter stating the coverage)
4 - You can support her: Your employment contract, work permit, etc
5 - Whatever they may ask additional ( :):) )

Nice. Thanks aneesh.

Hey Aneesh,

Thank you so much for replying to our queries.

If we apply together will it be fine if he moves ahead and I come later in few weeks time.[We actually dint know we could apply together :)  ] My husbands company is providing a temporary accommodation till the time he searches a rental apt. We will need to check if we can show that as accommodation for the visa.

-> In my case, we had the temporary accommodation (contract made in my name and including my wife as tenant) and a letter from my employer stating that they will assist me to find a long term accommodation here.
-> Once visa is approved, you can travel in any date during the validity of the visa. But I would recommend entering together, because further paperwork (residence permit) is also less hassle if you do it together in one shot..

Hi Anees,

Thanks, your's input is very helpful.

I'm also in the process of preparing the documents for my wife and kid so that they can apply long term visa together with myself. I have the following questions from your's previous post...

>>>1 - marriage certificate, birth certificate of your wife, etc etc  (with proper attestations).
--------
Q.1) I have a question regarding the attestation, Will the Embassy attest the Original of these documents or photocopies? IF embassy stamps on the original documents, later the photocopies of those attested original documents to be submitted with visa application. It's bit confusing, so please guide.

>>> 2 - You have a suitable accommodation here for you both: For that, you may need a rental contract which show your and your wife's name as the tenants.
----------
Q.2) Second Question about the rental contract. IF the contract from the landlord would be enough to submit in embassy? Or it would be required to get that registered somewhere in Brussels or attested? and if so what is the process , can the landlord help ?

>>3 - Insurance ...As you mentioned i would check with my employer for the Insurance.

Thank you in advance!
regards,

>>>1 - marriage certificate, birth certificate of your wife, etc etc  (with proper attestations).
--------
Q.1) I have a question regarding the attestation, Will the Embassy attest the Original of these documents or photocopies? IF embassy stamps on the original documents, later the photocopies of those attested original documents to be submitted with visa application. It's bit confusing, so please guide.

Ans >> You have to get fresh copies issued of these documents. Embassy will not attest anything, Embassy needs the documents attested :) Attestation is done by home department of the state where the document originated and then by the MEA (ministry of external affairs).. VFS will just help you to facilitate the attestation. The documents that are submitted with visa application will be given back once the visa is stamped..

>>> 2 - You have a suitable accommodation here for you both: For that, you may need a rental contract which show your and your wife's name as the tenants.
----------
Q.2) Second Question about the rental contract. IF the contract from the landlord would be enough to submit in embassy? Or it would be required to get that registered somewhere in Brussels or attested? and if so what is the process , can the landlord help ?

For the first trip to Belgium, I dont think it is necessary (but I am not 100% sure) to get the lease registered. If the landlord can register it for you, very well, get that done. All landlords are familiar with the process of how to get a lease registered.  (If you would like to know: http://www.blbe.be/en/registering-lease)

Also, it is a good idea to make long term accommodation contract after you reach here and see the house, premises, area, etc. (if you make the agreement before coming here, and later when you come here and find the house does not meet your expectations, breaking the lease involves penalty, etc based on the nature of the contract).. For the initial stay (say for a month or so, you can use service apartments like bbf.be ... They can provide you the agreement to use with the visa application).

Thanks once again.

1) Actually the ministry of foreign affairs have attested the documents and put the stamp on the Original Paper. Now I need to get that legalized from the Embassy of Belgium. My confusion is that , if they can also put their  stamp (to legalize) on the Original document.

2) Regarding the Rental contract, do you mean it would be enough to present the rental contract from landlord in embassy (with my wife's and kid's and my name as tenant) and it would not be required to get the lease document.

And yes, exactly this is the situation that IF we sign a contract and then later what if we don't like that and would like to change.... :((( This information that you shared regarding service apartment (bbf) , I hope it will be very helpful and I can see I can get an apartment for 3 or 6 months that would be enough for me (If bbf can provide me the contract for embassy documentation) and later once i'll be there It would be enough time to find a new apartment for longer term.

b) But can embassy accept that 3-months or 6-months rental agreement? Or we have to provide some further proof that we shall find the long term accommodation after we'll move to Belgium.

Thank you,

Agree with Aneesh (has been a great help on this forum all along)

1. Please chose a temporary accomodation first and then once you come here, search for an apartment of your choice.

2. Embassy will ask for proof of accomodation, in my case I just gave an confirmation of booking in a short stay

3. Embassy will not attest all the documents except for medical certificates, rest of the documents as they are legalized by MEA, thats ok.

Regards,
Satish/

(I  just moved to Brussels with family 2 months ago and have gone through all these processes recently)

Thanks Satish :)

Very much inline with what Satish suggested,

1) Actually the ministry of foreign affairs have attested the documents and put the stamp on the Original Paper. Now I need to get that legalized from the Embassy of Belgium. My confusion is that , if they can also put their  stamp (to legalize) on the Original document.

-> The documents originated in India, that bear apostille (MEA stamp) does not need any further attestation unless something drastically changed in the process lately :)  The only document from India that the Belgian (embassy) consulate legalizes,  is the medical certificate.

2) Regarding the Rental contract, do you mean it would be enough to present the rental contract from landlord in embassy (with my wife's and kid's and my name as tenant) and it would not be required to get the lease document.

-> Rental contract and lease agreement is one and the same document.

b) But can embassy accept that 3-months or 6-months rental agreement? Or we have to provide some further proof that we shall find the long term accommodation after we'll move to Belgium.

-> It is ok to have a 3 or 6 months contract . And this need not to be registered by lease registration authority.   (About the short duration, normally the consulate considers that fact that you need time to find a long term stay and currently you are booking a short term stay for time being. To be on safer side, you can mention this clearly in the cover letter, that you are choosing a service apartment to start with and will find a long term lease once you are in Belgium).. In my case, to be on extra safer side, I got my hiring organization to provide me a letter stating something like.. "We are hiring this person and this person had booked a short term accommodation of x months in Brussels, and during this period, we (company) will provide him support in finding a long term accommodation for him and his family"

Hope this helps..

Regards
Aneesh

Thanks Staish and Aneesh,

Staish , i've a question regarding ....<<<2. Embassy will ask for proof of accomodation, in my case I just gave an confirmation of booking in a short stay.

Can you kindly guide me how did you manage the booking for short stay?

In fact , Im finding it difficult to get any short term accommodation..
I've tried immoweb and even spoken to agent from bbf.be. He was asking two months advance deposit and could offer minimum 1 year contract.

Much appreciated.
regards,
-M

I think bbf, due to high demand from a lot of on-site engineers, are now giving only 1 year contracts. But bbf has different properties, and I assume one of them may agree for short term like 3 months or so.

http://www.bbf.behttp://www.homeinbrussels.be/http://www.flatservice.be/

there are others (links above) and also, you can check in airbnb.com (Some apartments in airbnb.com agrees for 1-2 months stay. You have to contact them and ask. Also, ask them in advance if they allow to use that address to register in the commune if you stay there for long -  say 6 months for example).

Regards
Aneesh

I agree with Aneesh,

For my case my employer arranged for a 1 month stay and all I had to show was the proof that i was staying there..the length of the stay did not matter.

I had submitted a letter on white paper saying that, this is a temporary accommodation and I will find a permanent one after i reach Belgium.

Satish

Courier Stuff,

I moved around 80KGs of stuff via Cargo from india via Jet Airways, for 20K details below

1. Contact a cargo agent - Mostly will be in the airport - Cargo Section
2. Show proof of travel - ticket booking
3. Put all non electronics  stuff - clothes and personal items
4. Courier came in 5 days to Brussels
5. Pay 70 euro for handling charges in Airport
6. tell the customs officer here that it is all personal used stuff - otherwise there is a chance of inspection and extra tax

Thats all.

Satish

Hi Aneesh,

A big thank you for your help. We both got our visa issued his for a year and my visa for 6 months VISA type D in less than a week of filing it at the VFS, Mumbai :)

Below is the just the process I went through in case anyone is applying in future :)

For the dependent visa. I submitted all the documents mentioned [Birth, Marriage, Medical, Husbands Work permit and contract copy, accommodation booking email, Indian PCC { In my case I had lived in UK for 4 years so we thought they might need but VFS said if you have lived more than 6 months in India its Ok just submit Indian one for now in case they ask get the UK one too}]
Please take 2 Xerox sets of the documents they do ask. We could not get a contract letter mentioning my name or a letter [since  a temp accommodation is being provided on my spouse name], but we submitted that accommodation booking letter and also contract copy of my husband where its mentioned medical insurance covers family members. We wrote a separate cover letter explaining the same. One thing we had forgot is to attach a Travel insurance they had put my application on hold requesting that but later issued it without seeing when my husband called up the embassy to explain the medical insurance is covered by his company(We also purchased one in case needed) . But I recommend do take one its mentioned in the new rules effective from 15th Jan 2015.

Whole process was very quick, just the legalisation and all takes time.

We are moving to Brussels by 21st Feb of this month hopefully looking forward to make new friends :).

Thank you,

Anu :):top:

Welcome to Belgium :)  happy to hear we (Expat.com members) could be of help :)

Welcome to Belgium

Many congratulations and thanks for sharing yours' experience , it's very detailed and explain almost everything  :top:
Have a lovely time. Cheers,

Hi Aneesh,

I am planning to move to Brussels in Mid of April, 2015. I have been offered net in hand salary (after all the deductions) somewhere  around 2100 Euros. I am a bachelor and going to live in Etterbeek area. Could you please tell me the saving potential per month after all the expenses (rent, food, transportation, grocery, internet,mobile, electricity and weekend outings).

I would really appreciate if you can tell me a breakup of expenses for a decent life in Brussels and also is that offer worth going there for a year.

Thanks,

Abhi.

Hello Abhi,

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 11#2428878

is a helpful thread and has the info you need.

I did not find the right answers. Please if you can answer what is the saving potential and is it worth going there in this salary.

Well, you saw the itemized cost of living in Brussels, in the thread I pasted above.

For example:

In Brussels
> accommodation prices  650€/month for a standard 1 bed apartment + 100 - 150 so in charges
> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.): On average 800 to 1000 per year (some employers pay this additional to salary)
> food prices (monthly budget): 200 - 400€  (depends on person to person)
> health prices: 100 - 200 €/year (Employer takes care of the insurance)
> Energy prices (electricity/gas): 50 - 80€/month
> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone): 75€ for phone and internet

> Price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: 20 - 30 €
> Price for a coffee or a drink 2-6€

You can calculate your monthly average expenses based on the figures above or other reports in that thread.

Ask your employer what long term / periodic benefits you are entitled to, other than the monthly salary (bonus ?, other allowances ?)

Rest is simple math :)

I am surprised that Anushree got her dependent visa in less than a week.

I had applied for Family Reunion visa along with my wife's student visa on 12/11/2014. My visa application file was sent to Belgium ministry and on 23rd Feb 2015 I was asked to submit following documents;

1) Registered rental contract,
2) Proof of residence.

Along with my visa application I had attached a declaration from house owner but not rental contract. My wife is already in Ghent Belgium and I am in India. My wife did not ask the house owners for registration of rental agreement. Is there any specific housing requirements on the rented place for it to be suitable for a couple to stay like space, safety, health, fire hazard, etc. This is because my wife is living in a place which is almost 40 m2. The place is good and do not have separate kitchen, but owners are doubtful if the city hall would allow the rental agreement in case the inspection takes place.

Also in my case can anyone tell me what proof of residence document is admissible as I don't have any or they are asking for residence proof in spouse's name?

Thanks & Regards,
Harishchandra

Hi Guys,

Can someone suggest if my work place is at Etterbeek where should I take the studio apartment economical (max 500 Euros - furnished )  which is convenient to Etterbeek area.

and If someone has reference of accommodation for Indians, please share.

harish.chandra wrote:

I am surprised that Anushree got her dependent visa in less than a week.

I had applied for Family Reunion visa along with my wife's student visa on 12/11/2014. My visa application file was sent to Belgium ministry and on 23rd Feb 2015 I was asked to submit following documents;

1) Registered rental contract,
2) Proof of residence.

Along with my visa application I had attached a declaration from house owner but not rental contract. My wife is already in Ghent Belgium and I am in India. My wife did not ask the house owners for registration of rental agreement. Is there any specific housing requirements on the rented place for it to be suitable for a couple to stay like space, safety, health, fire hazard, etc. This is because my wife is living in a place which is almost 40 m2. The place is good and do not have separate kitchen, but owners are doubtful if the city hall would allow the rental agreement in case the inspection takes place.

Also in my case can anyone tell me what proof of residence document is admissible as I don't have any or they are asking for residence proof in spouse's name?

Thanks & Regards,
Harishchandra

Hello Harish,

1) Registered rental contract -> The rental contract in an accepted format, must be registered with the registration authority. A declaration from landlord wont suffice :(
2) Proof of residence. -> Your wife can go to the local commune and apply for this. In normal procedure (AFAIK) police comes to visit the residence, and then based on their report to commune, commune issues this certificate.

Dear Aneesh,

Thanks for your kind reply.
The problem happened in my case is, while applying for visa we had rented the place till 14/02/2014 and the same date was mentioned in my visa application also. Now Belgium Ministry have taken a decision on 23/02/2014 of granting the visa upon submission of these documents because supposedly my rental agreement was till only 14/02/2015.

I didn't have the visa so my wife have extended the rental period at the same place but the problem is those house owners are reluctant to register the rental contract because of some legal obligations with housing. If my wife tries to find a new apartment now and get a registered rental contract, it will take time anything more than 1.5 months. Also she has applied for her residence permit and already police verification has been done, so if we change the apartment now there will be problem in her residence permit procedure. So I am now choosing a middle path.

I am submitting the non registered rental contract from present house owner saying we had this studio for short term and since I didn't get visa (since same address was mentioned in my visa application, changing the address would create problems later) and my wife applied for residence permit so she didn't change the studio and we will submit a covering letter in my wife's name mentioning that once I get the visa and she gets her residence permit we will rent a apartment for our long term stay.

If we do that there is a chance either they will accept it or reject it. But if they reject these documents will they give us a chance to submit new registered rental contract and residence proof or straight away reject my visa application. My application is on hold at Mumbai Consulate.

Do you have any idea based on any precedent case or any knowledge about it?

Regards,
Harishchandra.

This is a very specific situation. You may give a try by letting the consulate know the situation. :)

Me along with my wife finally landed in Brussels today. Thank you everyone (especially Aneesh) for the excellent guidance that really helped us all along the way. :D

Cheers!

murcielago4me wrote:

Me along with my wife finally landed in Brussels today. Thank you everyone (especially Aneesh) for the excellent guidance that really helped us all along the way. :D

Cheers!

Welcome to Brussels.. :) have a loads of fun..

Thanks Aneesh for your reply.

I received a letter from Mumbai Consulate to submit a registered rental contract / residence proof. So they asked either of one. I submitted Form 15 received from City Hall by my wife, declaration from landlord and a non-registered rental contract since the landlord couldn't give us a registered rental contract.

After that Consulate asked for registered rental contract!!!

So we are now trying to get an apartment and register the rental contract. But there is a bit of ambiguity. What is meant by registration and how much time does it take? Some property agents said that if we take the rental contract personally in City Hall (or the Registrar office) they will stamp and register the rental contract immediately and return the copy. Some people said that the registration procedure also includes police verification which can take 2-3 weeks. Now what the Consulate need is the registered rental contract that's it. So out of the above which procedure is correct, we should just get contract registered and stamped and submit to Consulate OR we should wait 2-3 weeks till all the physical verification of the residence is complete and take some other document also from Registration office and submit it to Consulate.

Also I would like to know if you have any idea about any agency which can help us legally check the rental contract draft if there are loopholes or mischief. I know one agency named " huurderssyndicaat.be/". So what do you think???

Regards,
Harishchandra

Useful info for anyone applying for family re-unification --extra administrative charges !!!!!! :mad:

It seems I will have to pay an extra > 100 Euro -- But if this makes the process fast - then kudos  :thanks:

- dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/news/Pages/Contributioncoveringadministrativecostsofanapplication.aspx

harish.chandra wrote:

Thanks Aneesh for your reply.

I received a letter from Mumbai Consulate to submit a registered rental contract / residence proof. So they asked either of one. I submitted Form 15 received from City Hall by my wife, declaration from landlord and a non-registered rental contract since the landlord couldn't give us a registered rental contract.

After that Consulate asked for registered rental contract!!!

So we are now trying to get an apartment and register the rental contract. But there is a bit of ambiguity. What is meant by registration and how much time does it take? Some property agents said that if we take the rental contract personally in City Hall (or the Registrar office) they will stamp and register the rental contract immediately and return the copy. Some people said that the registration procedure also includes police verification which can take 2-3 weeks. Now what the Consulate need is the registered rental contract that's it. So out of the above which procedure is correct, we should just get contract registered and stamped and submit to Consulate OR we should wait 2-3 weeks till all the physical verification of the residence is complete and take some other document also from Registration office and submit it to Consulate.

Also I would like to know if you have any idea about any agency which can help us legally check the rental contract draft if there are loopholes or mischief. I know one agency named " huurderssyndicaat.be/". So what do you think???

Regards,
Harishchandra

Hello Harish,

Sorry for the delay in response.

The registration of rental contract is immediate as you take it to the concerned office. It does not involve police verification or so.

And I have no knowledge about the agency.

Regards
Aneesh

Thanks Aneesh,

Few more doubts. If mine and my spouse's name is added as the tenants, is it necessary to sign the rental contract by both of us or its OK if only my wife signs it. Because since it is required for my visa I think my name should be mentioned as tenant, right???

We are signing a 1 yr rental contract,so for visa purpose do they have any requirements that the rental contract should be long term like 3 yrs or more???

And will the Mumbai Consulate after my submitting the rental contract to them, again send my document to Belgium ministry or they will give visa on their own?

This visa process has become like a never ending in saga for me and so my questions to you. But I can assure you I am seeing the end to it in near future. At least I can hope!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Harishchandra

-> It must be ok if your wife signs it. Once the original is sent you you after registration, you an sign on it too. Doesnt matter. :)
-> 1 year contract is ok.
-> If consulate can make the decision, they will. If they have to get approvals or advice on decision making, they will send to Belgium. Its totally upto them :)

Thanks Aneesh,

So let's see. Mostly I will get the registered rental contract by next week. Will keep posted once I get the decision from Consulate.

Thanks and Regards,
Harishchandra

Hi Anushreed,

hope you are doing fine! I can give you some insight into the freight parts if you are still considering a courier company for you belongings. Timewise, air freight takes days but obviously, there are different ways of sending it to Brussels. If you´d like some help with this, you may want to have a look at our still beta service where we do the hard work of getting estimates to you. See for yourself at urelocateonline.com.

Best Regards,
Igy

Hi ,

A big thanks guys, specially to Anees ,  Staish and Anu for the input.
Anees You are really a big help on this forum , Much appreciate yours' contribution of information.

Today we got the visa together with my family on the third day after applying in the Embassy :) It was really the matter of completing the paperwork which is hectic and needs time.

May be you already know there is One change since March 1st, You have to first pay so called "Contribution Fee" in Belgium which is either 60-Euro 160 or 225 Euro depends on your's status. This fee is in addition to the fee of the Visa.

I'm informed that we should register to the commune in 7 days of arrival in Belgium? Can you kindly guide me, where i can find the commune to Schaarbeek (1030) and what documents I would need for registration.

thanks,

Congrats and welcome to Belgium.

Commune Registration should be done, but not necessarily in 7 days, we did ours in 1 month.

Regards,
Satish.