The best place to live in Canada : Edition 2015

Choosing a city to take it up as residence has never been more exciting than the last decades. People are attracted to live in the city because they are places to find a job, find new friends, have a house, for its socio-cultural activities, or just for looking for an exciting urban life; Moreover, recent studies estimate 80% of GDP is generated by cities.

Everyone would like to live in a place where there is a thriving economy in which industries, resources and services thrive; people excel in their knowledge and life skills, and flourish socio-culturally; and the authorities (municipal, provincial, federal) operates public funds in an efficient manner.

But in all of Canada, how to identify the place that suits us best? Which city to choose?

Canada, for example, has nine metropolitan areas whose population exceeds the threshold of 500,000 population: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa-Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Hamilton, Winnipeg ... More than half of employment and Revenue in the country comes from these nine major cities.

Each of us lives a different life, everyone has a different academic background and professional experience (different diplomas, studies, knowledge etc ...), everyone has its own lifestyle (adventurer, sociable, a loner ...), and everyone has its own –marital- situation (single, married, with or without children ...). Thus the choices are many and will be quite different from each other.

Every year I bring for you the survey of MoneySense magazine related to the best places where it is good to live in Canada. I chose this survey, particularly because the criteria chosen are 'lucid' and improve from year to year, moreover, the survey focuses primarily on the Canadian cities, and as I live in this beautiful country so I find it interesting to know what different places offer as quality of life.

I thus open the debate and ask your opinion, where is the best place to live in Canada?

Hi Abdel,

This very well put. I subscribe to moneysense to and saw that article. Haven't read it yet. Personally although I love living in Halifax. But my long term aim is to move to a larger one. Top of my criteria in choosing a place is:
1) Cost of homeownership
2) 'Cosmopolitan-ess' - I have a rule of thumb. Though I love to visit larger cities like GTA or Vancouver. I certainly do not like to live in it. I prefer wee-bit smaller though (with the exception to Montreal).

Why is Montreal an exception? Well that's because its very different from GTA. GTA seems like a city that was design by someone playing SIM city (a computer game that users can design the layout of a city). Montreal, despite its age it has a  chic-ness to it that can't be describe. I rather be in the later than the former. Besides, they have better transit like the STM compared to Toronto's TTC. Home ownership in Montreal is also more reasonable for a metropolitan. My only concerns with Montreal is the language (since you live there Abdel, tell me if that is something to be concern of if wanting to move to Montreal?)

My top choice is Ottawa. Why? Because its smaller than GTA, but has all the perks of a major city. Cost of home ownership is more reasonable and you also enjoy the convenience of being suitably located in between Toronto and Montreal. If you are bored, you can easily drive there for a day's visit.

As for work? Being in the IT sector, I am not totally concern as jobs can be remote and both these places have major software companies in them too. Or you could also work with a  GTA based company but only go into office like once a week.

What about Halifax where I live? Halifax has been good to me. Its a good stepping stone to help with my transition into moving to Canada. The perks are:
1) Easier access to immigration papers/  jobs for folks overseas since not many people will compete with you to come here.
2) Friendlier community and peaceful place to live
The cons are:
1) Healthcare is pathetic. Not many qualified professionals and family doctors as they have been lured away to larger cities or to the states.
2) Not a large immigrant population
3) Very high provincial tax.
4) Far away from any other bustling cities (nearest being Portland, ME - 8 hrs drive)
Over six years here and will be for another 3 more years - being close to 10 years than, would mark as a good time to move to another place for me.

Hi philipyeo,

I used to live in Montréal (Québec), then I moved to Ottawa (Ontario), and right now I'm living in New-Brunswick :)
I would say Montréal and especially Ottawa is a very good choice to have this great Quality of life that Canada is known with.

Montréal has a special charm, a mixture of French and English history, an international way-of-life all around the city, a multicultural environnement (I met with people from many many differents part of the world more than any other Canadian city) and a good economic situation (particularly with few head-offices of some companies).
Even thought the official language seems to be French, but in the daily life and especially if you already guaranteed a good job, the English language is widely spread throughout the city. Some say that the more you speak English the better you get a high quality job.

However I still believe in a “Multilanguage desire”. This is personal for me, if I'm going to move to a country or any place in the world, I would love to learn the language and do my best to speak it. Somehow, I want to show a kind of respect to the hosts.

Ottawa, is a special city. The moment I moved there I told to my self “Now I'm in Canada, the real Canada…” it's a feeling, just a feeling, I don't know why I had this reaction but this is what I felt.
It was ranked during last 8 years as the best place to live in. It didn't score the best in any categories, but the city was above average in everything. It's this consistency that makes it special.

On the economic front, Ottawa is a major economic engine, offering jobs and opportunities in high tech industries, government, and important sectors such as health and education. The City is home to world- class research centres, top notch academic institutions and operations by major international companies.

The other particularity is the fact that has a neighbour-city (Gatineau) located across the Ottawa River in Quebec). A special feature of the region is that both English and French are widely spoken and reflected in the City's culture and commerce.  Not to mention the city is also multicultural with a large and growing immigrant population that enriches the city.

I used to spend my time work-and social-life morning in one side and the evening or week-end in the other side.
Honestly, if I had to choose to move to another city I would choose Ottawa.

Somehow I'm thinking to try Halifax. What do you think  philipyeo ?

Hi Abdel,

Call me Philip or Phil.

Ya Ottawa is definitely looking like the place I wanna be. Thanks for your input though.

So you're in NB. Fredericton? Moncton? or Saint John? Being the province next door, I've travelled to these places a fair bit. Especially on my way to Maine. You get sick of Halifax after being here too long and just want to go visit a another place. Unfortunately, the only US border along Nova Scotia is at sea.

But don't let that comment paint a negative image about it. Halifax is a nice quaint city. Its not too big and not too small. Just about the right size. Unfortunately, I've just about covered everything single thing that needs to be covered here and the surrounding region (New Brunswick and PEI as well) But if you're new to the place, there's lots of things to do and see. Cape Breton is one of the hottest spots. And also during summer months, there's dozens of festivals as well.

Tourist stuff are a little more expensive here. I am not sure why but its just that way. If you come in the winter time, its practically dead with ice-skating and indoor shopping listed as the only thing to do. That apart from going to the ski resort.

People are relatively nice here. I find that's quite true. Cars will practically stop for you when want to cross the road. I think its pretty much the same in New Brunswick since its a maritime thing.

On the economic front, its a whole different story. Halifax and Nova Scotia is, like some say  the province of "have-nots". And its conservative government (not the party but the style), doesn't help either. Its been losing money more and more and there's net migration out of the province than in migration. In other words, there's not enough jobs for the  young. Also, for such a small province, too many universities are here. NB is way bigger in size but has less universities than Nova Scotia.

My hopes is that they adopt Newfoundlands embrace of oil and gas and be quick to open its doors to its sea exploration for that resource. That way, they will be able to at least get some oil revenue. But that is not the case. The provincial government is too slow and too scared to make that move.

Apart from that, I did have some good time while living here. But 6 years is long and by another 3 makes it 9. I'm more than ready to move out.

Hi Abdel/Philip,

What about Alberta? Heard unemployment rate would be on the rise, people are considering moving out of there? Alberta tax payers will also suffer since they have to pay higher taxes... Only corporate tax is untouched... These 2 coming years will be very challenging !!

Alberta is in a rough shape now given the sad state of affairs on their provincial government's side. They have compared to Norway's government, where they on the other hand is on the opposite side of the spectrum - Norway being more prudent with their spending and ability to manage their funds better from their oil revenue. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about Alberta. That is why in the current situation where oil price has dropped drastically, they are currently feeling the pinch and have decided to raise tax and cut government spending.

Lots of people also are losing jobs over there - whereby companies are no longer hiring as much and not renewing contracts. House prices and dropping slightly too. Best time to buy them if you're not affected by the O&G industry.

I find this interesting. The title is, Avg salary you need to buy homes across Canada http://www.rentseeker.ca/blog/index.php … anada/1829
It's just a rough guide, though not 100% true.

Canada is so diverse that the answer to your question depends on what type of person you are... what type of life is important to you. The advice posted so far has been excellent.

If money is your thing, then Toronto is perfect. However, it is not an especially sympatico place and the layout is not exciting.

Montreal is as cultural and sexy as it can get but not money-oriented.

Eastern Canada is as safe and area as one can find in the Western Hemisphere..with low murder/violence rates rivaling Europe. Western Canada is as dangerous as the USA.

Smaller towns have less to do but are more affordable. As well, health services are much better in small communities than large ones.