Moving to Oman Shortly

Dear All,

I'm currently residing in Bahrain and moving to Muscat in the mid of April 2015. Work location is somewhere around Ruwi. We're a family of four with two kids

The job is arranged through a consultancy company in India and really having a hard time getting reply from them on a couple of things, for which i've headed here to the forums.

1. How much time does it take to get a resident visa and labor card in general?

2. How much time does it take for a family visa processing? i'm a bit worried about this part, as my first kid will be missing school till we get a family visa.

3. Is it possible to bring the family/kids along with me with Visit visa before applying for a family visa? If that is allowed, do the family need to exit the country when their family visa is getting processed?

4. Read a lot of threads about school admissions being difficult. Please throw some light on that subject. Are we forced to get admission in the school based on where we reside? Is is better to decide on school and then where we stay?

Any comments/helps, really appreciate. Thanks

Saravanan

Hello. Resience card takes 2 to 3 days.first, u will ave to do medical fitness tests at a visa designated centre.then e registrations at e ministry of Labour n police but am sure your employer will help throughout all this.I have no idea of e rest but am sure other expats will help.good luck

Have you obtained your Labour Clearance?  How long did it take you to get it?

Hi gm.saran,

Just happened to notice your post.

Find my comments against your queries.

1. How much time does it take to get a resident visa and labor card in general? - Not more than a week or 10 days. By law you are obliged to resister yourself within 30 days of your arrival here. Like with all other official matters, your company would have to do the paperwork, etc. Medicals too would have to be done. It's all routine.

2. How much time does it take for a family visa processing? i'm a bit worried about this part, as my first kid will be missing school till we get a family visa. - A 6-month wait period is required before a new expatriate is allowed to sponsor his family on family joining visa. There have been a few exceptions to this 6-month waiting rule. Find out from your company's PRO what is the latest update on this rule.

3. Is it possible to bring the family/kids along with me with Visit visa before applying for a family visa? If that is allowed, do the family need to exit the country when their family visa is getting processed? - Your family can come on a visit visa. But who would be their sponsors ? You need some local to sponsor if anyone wants to come to Oman. If they are already in Oman, then yes, they wold have to exit and re-enter on the family joining visa once it is issued.

4. Read a lot of threads about school admissions being difficult. Please throw some light on that subject. Are we forced to get admission in the school based on where we reside? Is is better to decide on school and then where we stay? - Getting admissions in any of the 6 Indian Schools in Muscat is nothing short of a living nightmare - particularly for KG1 and Class 1. Go to the Time of Oman webpage and search for 'Indian School Admissions'. If you have not read the horror stories there, read them. It is not always easy or possible to decide where your ward gets admission and then decide on the place of stay. If your place of residence is too far away from your place of work then it is equally difficult.

Good luck.

Thanks friends, for all the help.