Driving car to Mexico on vacation

Hello,
Can you drive your car over the border on vacation, just using your passport?

Yes, but you will have to pay a fee that will be returned to you when you drive the car out by the 6 month dead line. If you are just going over the border and not going to places like Mazatlan, you can just drive over the border and return without requiring the deposit and sticker. The states where you can just drive in and out are Sonoma and Baja. Any where else you need a sticker on your window, and you pay a fee for that sticker. the fee is based on the value of your car, for me it's $300.

You could, of course try to get away with just saying you are only going to Sonoma and skip the fee business, but I do not advise that. I wouldn't want to be stopped somewhere without a valid sticker, and they do have road check areas everywhere. Follow their laws and you won't have a problem.

Thank you for your response, you have been very helpful.

How much would that Fee be for a 36000 US Dollar vehicle.

Thanks in Advance:
                                                                           David1945

For a $36,000 vehicle with no permit sticker, the fine could be up to $36,000 - i.e., they could confiscate your vehicle.

What i was trying ask was how much would the Sticker Cost for a 36000 us Dollar Vehicle

David1946

David, They base the cost on the year the car was made . Here is the web site you need. http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada_eng/in … co-by-land

Thanks that is what i wanted it is very informative 

David1946